Survivor Series: WarGames

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

It's on tomorrow.

The current card, which I certainly did not just copy off of Wikipedia, is:-

1    Gunther (c) vs. The Miz    Singles match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship

2    Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Zoey Stark    Singles match for the Women's World Championship

3    Cody Rhodes, Seth "Freakin" Rollins, Jey Uso, Sami Zayn, and Randy Orton vs. The Judgment Day (Damian Priest, Finn Bálor, "Dirty" Dominik Mysterio, and JD McDonagh) and Drew McIntyre    Men's WarGames match

4    Bianca Belair, Charlotte Flair, Shotzi, and Becky Lynch vs. Damage CTRL (Bayley, Asuka, Iyo Sky, and Kairi Sane)    Women's WarGames match

5    Carlito vs. Santos Escobar

I mean, it'll be good because WWE's PPVs always over-deliver but Survivor Series has always been the least interesting of the BIG PPVs but I also want to see it live just in case Pepsi Phil pops in. Which he won't.

Who else will be giving a watch to this wrestling? .ae

16 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Survivor Series has always been the least interesting of the BIG PPVs

It was actually one of my favourites growing up in the early years. Those awesome yellow covers on the VHS releases. It always felt special when you got guys teaming together.

It was all downhill once they dropped the multi man tag matches. And then once they did go back to them, it was pointless with the brand warfare and all that crap.

And obviously it was all diluted by how much everyone interacted on a weekly basis anyway.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It was actually one of my favourites growing up in the early years. Those awesome yellow covers on the VHS releases. It always felt special when you got guys teaming together.

It was all downhill once they dropped the multi man tag matches. And then once they did go back to them, it was pointless with the brand warfare and all that crap.

And obviously it was all diluted by how much everyone interacted on a weekly basis anyway.

It was crap with the multi man tags too. At least the cage adds something now.

Yeah really looking forward to this one. It's my chance to catch up on WWE as I don't watch the weeklies, it signals the start of Christmas, WarGames is one of those gimmick matches that always, always entertains me and there's the threat of the short order cook looming. 

WWE have done up some Road To... playlists if anyone wants to get caught up:

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yes.

Survivor Series was crucial to my fandom as "4th Annual" was the second tape I ever saw and "3rd Annual" was the first tape I ever owned properly, purchased by papa raid from John Menzies, now a branch of Pret-A-Manger WH Smiths, as opposed to a scart to scart copy from Wendy's video shop. Of course, it's a great, fun watch, and much has been written about the opening video and of how The Hulkamaniacs were the baddest ass team imaginable. Still get chills from Demolition's music hitting.

Honestly though, this is an excuse to re-post why 1990 version was so important to my fandom and shaping who my favourites would be, very possibly forever ;

https://ukff.com/topic/131890-when-was-the-first-time-wrestling-broke-your-heart/

• Paid Members

The build for Gunther Vs Miz has been good stuff. It’s prompted some of Gunther’s best promo work to date and the fans have got behind underdog baby face Miz. Surprisingly intrigued by the match. Gunther is one of my favourites and Miz would be near the bottom of the my list of opponents for him, but I think they’ve done a good job. 

I hope Kairi doesn’t kill herself in the War Games match. She is the type to do something ludicrous. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

Should be a good show. Bar Summerslam, I don’t think they’ve missed on pay per view all year.

Assuming War Games is something Cody has wanted to do for years, I’m hoping for some actual heat and drama in this year’s instalment. Seems a pretty open goal to improve on previous years, where the babyface team have inexplicably had the advantage and/or the whole thing has just seen teams take it in turns to run in and do some weapon spots, all whilst Michael Cole keeps screaming, “NONE OF THIS MATTERS UNTIL EVERYONE ENTERS, GO MAKE YOURSELF A CUP OF TEA!”

I’m expecting the babyface team to come out in matching gear and face paint. They’ll have a tough job beating the aesthetic of Darby, Sting and Copeland last week, but I guess time will tell. Cody’s probably been pitching Snake Eater cosplay, the glorious nerd.

I haven’t watched much of the TV recently, but surely they’re going to put JD in the bin and replace him with Rhea at some point in the show?

I’ll be interested to see what Orton looks like. Can’t imagine he could look any worse than Kota Ibushi in this year’s Blood and Guts. Extended chinlock in a War Games match, Randy? You know he’s considered it.

Gunther vs. The Miz is like one of those mad, fever dream graphics you normally get in AEW. What a bonkers match.

Bayley better say her prayers. I think she’s eating the pinfall and then getting the living shit kicked out of her by her teammates.

This should be the final graphic to close the show.

IMG_6924.jpeg.8246a17146c083afa37556765a69d672.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

42 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I love Gunther, but I’ve never enjoyed a Miz match. I hope he destroys him in under a minute. Escobar probably deserves better than a match with Carlito. No idea why Shotzi is in the match, she’s bloody awful. 

Nothing for the Bloodline or Logan Paul? Madness. 

Oh shit yeah I forgot about Logan Paul

Why's he not on this ppv