Lovely Birds

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I got obsessed with the birds in my garden during lockdown. Came across a feeder my old neighbour left behind and, before I knew it, I bought about 20 different types of feeders and varying foods for each one. I’ve calmed down a bit and now have 13 feeders and 6 food types.

I get so many different birds, I love watching them - blue tits, great tits, long-tailed tits, robins, gold finch, green finch, dunnocks, sparrows, starlings, nuthatch, jays, parakeets, great spotted woodpecker, green woodpecker, jackdaws, magpies, crows, wood pigeons and gulls. I did once have a pheasant land in the garden and often see red kites flying overhead.

Just yesterday I heard screeching and managed to catch sight of some sort of predatory bird (either kite or hawk) catching a smaller bird in the garden and flying off.

I also get foxes, muntjac deer and badgers. It’s like The Animals of Farthing Wood in my garden!

I set up an Instagram account a while back to share some of my photos - https://instagram.com/wild.en5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've been trying to get a pic of this bird for a while, he taunts me every Tuesday and Thursday. Of course the day I finally get him it's foggy and dark. Hopefully I can get a better pic at some point. He is sat right at the back of a wood where some crows roost, waiting to catch an unwary one no doubt. 

IMG-20231212-WA0000.thumb.jpg.d44af8f45f51f52efafc517d86d8562d.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I love starlings, but when they're in a flock they become a right nuisance - other birds end up getting jobbed out.

A Sparrow Hawk caught the plump wood pigeon that is always shitting down my fence the other day before picking the entire carcass up and flying off, so now instead of shit down my fence I have feathers all over the bloody place. 

Gorgeous bird the Sparrow Hawk. 

• Paid Members

I setup a bird box which had a blue tit move in last spring. I put a Pi Zero and a camera in it and started streaming it on Twitch.

I cleaned it out as best as I could at the weekend and hope another bird moves in soon.

https://www.twitch.tv/derekthebluetit

IMG_1550.thumb.jpeg.b7064462c74d4413cf7bb2992ebd2530.jpeg

Edited by Scratch

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I’ve only ever had tiny gardens so never really noticed birds before let alone thought about them for any length.

When Dad died my step Mum told me the thing about robins - “when a robin appears a lost loved one is near”. Every time I see her she tells me about the robin (my Dad) following her around the garden etc. I’ve always thought it was her way of dealing with things and found it quite endearing

I moved house yesterday to a place with a conservatory and big garden. After the removals men left I sat down looking out to the garden. Two minutes later a robin lands on the tree a few metres in front of me, right in my eye line. I’ve honestly never felt so comforted in my life and I could easily cry my eyes out as I type this. I completely understand it now.

So I am now the newest member of the lovely birds club  

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, waters44 said:

I’ve only ever had tiny gardens so never really noticed birds before let alone thought about them for any length.

When Dad died my step Mum told me the thing about robins - “when a robin appears a lost loved one is near”. Every time I see her she tells me about the robin (my Dad) following her around the garden etc. I’ve always thought it was her way of dealing with things and found it quite endearing

I moved house yesterday to a place with a conservatory and big garden. After the removals men left I sat down looking out to the garden. Two minutes later a robin lands on the tree a few metres in front of me, right in my eye line. I’ve honestly never felt so comforted in my life and I could easily cry my eyes out as I type this. I completely understand it now.

So I am now the newest member of the lovely birds club  

I think that may be a common thing as I've also been raised with the belief that Robins are lost loved ones. My Granddad used to love birds (and nature in general) so after he died my Mum's way of greiving was to start feeding the birds in the garden, something she never did while I was growing up. Her garden is awash with some stunning birds including a constant swarm of goldfinches and the occasional woodpecker.

My wife and I moved in to a house a few streets over from where my Nana and Granddad used to live. Same sized and layout house and garden, which now 17 years after they both passed has somewhat filled a hole in my own grief as I always wanted to keep their house after they passed, but at 17 I was too young so sadly we lost it.
During covid when we first started sorting the garden out, a robin would come and sit on the fence next to us and like yourself it was comforting.
Like him and my Mum, I also make sure to keep the bird feeder full so our garden is always full of birds. Nothing too spectacular yet other than a family of crows which are lovely, sparrows and a family of blackbirds that live in our loft. We get some gorgeous doves come and go every year and big fat wood pigeons. We also get Magpies which are stunning birds visually but they're shitheads and our dog hates them (and only them) so any time they land in the garden he's on them like flies on shit.

Our Jackdaws are still visiting a few times a day to nick the monkey nuts and now a crow has started coming as well. And delighted that the collard doves have made a return!

And not birds of course, but the bats are back at dusk as well!

I lost my dad last year due to complications following a surgical amputation of his leg. He'd had crappie blood flow for years after getting a DVT, and it had got to the point where he was on a ton of pain meds, antibiotics,  and multiple weekly nurse visits just to change dressings as his foot and lower leg died. He lost his middle toes on his left foot. He managed to get a doctor to sign him off for the amputation, as a last hail Mary, but unfortunately, despite initially looking good after getting his leg lopped off to above the knee, his system slowly shut down in the weeks after.

The day after he died, my wife took me out to a pub on the seafront to decompress. It was a chilly but blue skied Sunday lunchtime, but the picnic tables were pretty clear so we were having a nice quiet time. While she was talking with her mum, a salt and pepper styled grey tit landed on the table opposite me. It was missing its middle toes on its left foot. It looked at me, hoiked its left leg up so just above the knee was shown, then flew away.

These may be the loveliest few posts I've ever seen on here.

We love a robin too. My wife's brother died in 2017 and her mum in 2021, both suddenly. The sight of a robin sitting on our fence or just bobbing around the garden always puts a smile on her face and brings her great comfort.