Lovely Birds

Gus Mears

7 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Since moving to Hampshire, I have been lucky enough to see some lovely massive winged birds.

Quite possibly the common buzzard, they are pretty huge if they fly overhead of you.  Kestrels are smaller and look like they should be landing on the wrist of a small northern lad.

Red Kites are even bigger but have a distinct V forked tail, I think I've seen one on my walks but most of the time it's buzzards.

Somewhere in Hampshire/IoW there are a couple of sea eagles, but they truly are massive buggers.

• Paid Members

We have magpies and crows on the bowling green. Someone over the road keeps chickens. They roam quite freely, and one of them came and hung out on the bowling green and with some of the locals on the bench. Visiting birds eat the apples that fall off the apple tree, but they've usually fermented so they get drunk, and there are a lot of stoners that sit outside. The chicken had a great time and when I went out in the evening it was laying on the bench having a sleep. It found its way home. 

There's a few geese, ducks, and moorhens in the park that I like to feed sometimes as well. I'll take them a tin of peas and throw them in. They know me and all come to greet me whenever I'm passing by. 

• Moderators

Those green parakeets are fucking everywhere in London now. But yeah, we get plenty of them down south. I can hear them from my garden and see them daily. Don't get bored of them though to be honest they usually stay up high so it's always a thrill when you get a good view of them. 

There used to be loads on peckham rye when I lived around there too. 

• Paid Members
On 11/17/2023 at 11:28 AM, deathrey said:

The green parakeets have migrated to the Midlands, I've seen a few whilst wondering around Sandwell Valley Park.

I used to do the park run at Sandwell Valley every Saturday morning and it was always a half-decent place for spotting wildlife. I might have to go again and see if I can tick a parakeet off the list. 

Some kestrels kicked the barn owl out of our barn this year. No idea how they managed it given the size differential but I'm glad they did. I've watched them raise a brood of 3 chicks.

And here's the blue tit nest box. I'm not sure how many chicks there were but it was shitloads.

Edited by King Coconut

• Paid Members

We've got a clock up in the pub with birds on. Each number has an associated bird, and in that hour the bird's song sounds not once, not twice, but thrice. Some people hate it, but because my late stepdad bought it all they can do is moan about it. I'll upload a badly taken picture of it when I get to my laptop as my phone doesn't always let me put pictures on here. 

• Paid Members

We get a bunch of parakeets near us, and I love them. They're noisy buggers, but I'll never get tired of the novelty of seeing them around, and it's a massive improvement over having hungry seagulls living on the roof for most of lockdown. 

I'm in a third floor flat with no garden, so just have a window feeder, which gets fairly regular visits from bluetits, sparrows and goldfinches, the latter being one of my absolute favourite birds, so always cheers me up to see them. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Isn't Black-crowned Night Heron the nickname the police gave you during your cat-burgling days? 

Yeh, but then I got caught, and they called me the Great Tit

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

"What time is it?"

"Half past Black-crowned Night Heron."

"Ah. Gonna have to go in five minutes."

Whenever it reaches an hour and the bird sound goes off my mum and I, if we're in the pub, will say "(x) o'clock bird", when what I should really be doing is learning the names of the birds and announcing the name as if I'm an ornitholigist hearing them in the wild.