AEW Wrestledream PPV discussion

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

If they go back to pretending they’re brothers, “Adam Cage,” would fit right in with Christian Cage, Brian Cage, Ethan Page, Adam Page and Saraya (formerly known as Paige).

Even if Edge isn’t coming in, I love Christian vs. Darby as the main event. That should be one of the benefits of these B shows; giving dependable, brilliant talents like Darby, Cassidy and Christian the big pay per view main events they deserve. It rewards consistently great performers, it freshens things up massively, and it’s great for the optics of presenting guys as top stars, which in turn becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Plus, the big feel-good, hometown title win with confetti is one of AEW’s greatest strengths. I’m never going to argue against it.

I understand why people would want Edge to come in as a singles guy rather than immediately tagging with Christian, but fuck that. We’ve had nearly four years of SERIOUS EDGE gritting his teeth and being angry all the time. Throw him with Christian, have a bit of fucking fun for a change, all whilst delivering a bunch of tag team dream matches. Get the Hardy Boys match out of the way before Matt and Jeff inevitably turn into dust, then fast track them to the big boys. Edge and Christian vs. The Young Bucks, FTR, Lucha Brothers, Blackpool Combat Club or Bullet Club Gold? Yes please. You could even go Edge and Christian vs. Omega and Jericho! Man. There’s potential for him to eclipse that last WWE run in weeks.

The final card for tonight’s show, including the Zero Hour, looks as follows

Zero Hour

AEW World Trios Title

The Acclaimed/Daddy Ass (c) vs TMDK

Luchasaurus vs Nick Wayne

Josh Barnett vs Claudio Castagnoli 

Shane Taylor/Lee Moriarty/Diamanté/Mercedes Martinez vs Keith Lee/Satoshi Kojima/Athena/Billie Starkz

Wrestledream Main Card

Bryan Danielson vs Zack Sabre Jr

‘Hangman’ Adam Page vs Swerve Strickland

AEW World Tag Team Title

FTR (c) vs Aussie Open

ROH World Tag Team Title - Handicap Match

MJF (c) vs The Righteous 

Chris Jericho/Kenny Omega/Kota Ibushi vs Konosuke Takeshita/Sammy Guevara/Will Ospreay

TNT Title 2 out of 3 Falls

Christian Cage (c) vs Darby Allin

ROH World Title and NJPW Strong Openweight Title

Eddie Kingston (c) vs Katsuyori Shibata

TBS Title

Kris Statlander (c) vs Julia Hart

4 Way Tag Team Number 1 Contender Match

Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros vs Orange Cassidy/Hook vs The Gunns

Ricky Starks vs Wheeler Yuta

Another pre 2 night Wrestlemania style card, just hope the crowd aren’t burnt out by the main event, especially as they’re hyping the Darby/Christian match as being in that spot

• Paid Members

This show was up there with All Out 2021. An absolute fucking belter, perfectly paced, relentlessly great stuff, multiple match of the year candidates, with the big, wild debut at the end, where the sky feels the limit and the possibilities seem endless. The perfect pro-wrestling pay per view. An all-timer. I’m buzzing. I love pro-wrestling.

I wish I was in the room when Tony Khan found out neither, “Rated R Superstar,” nor the entrance music was copyrighted by WWE. Bet he was thrilled! What’s Tony Chimel up to these days? May as well bring him in if you’re allowed to say, “Rated R SUUUUUUuuuuuUUUUper staaaar.”

I love the lore that whenever Christian headlines a pay per view someone big jumps ship, too. Hopefully he main events another one whenever Sheamus’ contract comes due.

I like that AEW continued the tradition of losing Edge in the smoke during his entrance. Nice touch.

Fair play to Copeland. I haven’t rated much of his comeback but hopefully this is a fresh coat of paint and he can do some fun stuff. If nothing else, it’s a great move for the industry as a whole having such a big name jump. Exactly what AEW needed.

Wikipedia reckons Adam Copeland never knew his Dad? Well then.

IMG_6453.gif.ce5b4b5d7b9b99e4c7d0459de902e228.gif

Speaking of which, them cutting to Christian backstage when featuring Inoki’s family was hilarious. This is the best run of Christian’s career. What a comeback. No wonder Edge wanted to join him.

Bryan Danielson making a late run for Wrestler of the Year. Unbelievable match. Liquid wrestling. Treasure this man. He’s the best. I never want him to retire.

Ibushi is slowly improving, but still feels miles away from his previous form. It’s weird because by anyone else’s standards he looks to be in great shape. But when it’s Kota Ibushi, anything less than 0% body fat and stunning, perfect beauty and he somehow looks like a Bo Selecta version of himself.

Phenomenal heel turn from Nick Wayne. Almost makes the AR Fox stuff make sense and it perfectly suits what a slappable face he has.

Darby Allin is a fucking maniac. That bump on the steps was insane, even by his standards.

A long time coming, but anyone with any understanding of this business knew it was only a matter of time. Swerve Strickland has arrived. Performance of a lifetime. Dripping with aura. He’s the only option for who takes that World Title from MJF. Fantastic match.

FTR doing the FTR match might have jumped the shark. I don’t know if I’d call it the worst match of the night, but it was certainly the one I cared the least about. Is anyone particularly jazzed by another FTR vs. Young Bucks match? That well has run dry.

The Gunns and Julia Hart battling for Most Improved of the Year. All of them have made huge strides. Great showings from them.

But yeah. The main headline coming out of this show is Jon Moxley somehow proving to be an even greater man than originally thought. Listening to him mark out throughout the Danielson match was - genuinely - one of my favourite pro-wrestling moments of all time. Gushing throughout, completely forgetting himself and screaming swear words, giving shit standing ovations. I don’t think there’s ever been a more infectious call. Remember when WWE nearly killed this man’s passion? He fucking loves it so much. So, so brilliant seeing him lose his mind in delight. Close the ballot. There’s no other choice.

IMG_6452.thumb.jpeg.64b4c2242ece2551616a82887cb1f7c8.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Not watched the show yet, it sounds really good though.

Not super buzzed about Edge, but will see how it fits together. If I hear him talk about gaving "grit", I'm 100% out. Still as a "trade" of sorts Edge for Jade Cargill is actually a good result for all parties I think. 

Out of curiosity, was the "new era" TK talked about just Edge coming in, or was there something more I've missed? 

20 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Hopefully the new era is Jon Moxley on the red button doing alternative commentary, screaming, “fuck!” and, “shit!” whenever something cool happens.

He was amazing wasn't he? I love that AEW is the place where guys just go to enjoy themselves and they want to wrestle or do commentary or whatever else. That's the real alternative. Obviously that's not to say there isn't any good stuff in WWE at all but AEW is just a bunch of guys and girls who want to be involved and enjoy going to work.

I really don't get what Nick Wayne brings to anything. He's an average wrestler at best, has bugger all charisma, bugger all ability on the mic and just seems to 'be there but not doing anything of note'. I get the reason for the turn, but just seems a bit pointless as it seems noone cares about him. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

I really don't get what Nick Wayne brings to anything. He's an average wrestler at best, has bugger all charisma, bugger all ability on the mic

He’s only 18 mate. And been on tv for about three months. Give him a chance to improve on things. 

I thought it was an odd choice to play a video before Edge's debut, given the circumstances. It's a minor point, but I think it would have been more goosebump inducing if the music just played and he came out without the fanfare. That aside, it was a bit bizarre to see him stand in a non-WWE ring. I'm a huge Edge fan, but since both men made their returns, I think Christian has had the more impressive run. No mean feat, given that Edge has main evented Wrestlemania.

I'm excited to see what he does in AEW. I like both wrestlers, but I'd absolutely take Edge over CM Punk in a trade, if it came to it. It's a great get for Tony Khan. 

Overall the show was really good, although I'm not as high on it as everyone else seems to be. Nothing to do with the match quality, but for me, there are far too many bouts for meaningless trinkets, with no real explanation as to why a wrestler in question is going for them. For example - Julia Hart is on a 28-match winning streak. Brilliant, good for her. But why is she chasing after the TBS title and not the main women's title? And I feel cold about anything ROH-related. 

20 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

I really don't get what Nick Wayne brings to anything. He's an average wrestler at best, has bugger all charisma, bugger all ability on the mic and just seems to 'be there but not doing anything of note'. I get the reason for the turn, but just seems a bit pointless as it seems noone cares about him. 

I've not been particularly impressed with him on the whole; but in spite of that, perhaps against the odds, he's been a valuable addition to Darby's act. The angle with Swerve and AR Fox was very strong, and his interactions with Christian have enhanced the Darby/Christian feud. I don't rule out at all that he has it in him to be a Wheeler Yuta/Dominik Mysterio-type annoying shit heel. So while I agree with you in a way, they've made the most out of him and I've enjoyed what he's done so far. A slight contradiction, but there you go.