AEW Wrestledream PPV discussion

LaGoosh

I'm not the biggest Edge fan, but he's a big enough name that there's something really good faith, good feeling about the signing that felt like it was needed after the Punk debacle. Even though I've talked myself before about how they have enough guys under the roof already to get the job done, it does seem like they've needed that extra little bit of a buzz to go along with the more consistent storylines. And I think for AEW, all you're trying to do is get as many already existing, invested wrestling fans into the buildings as you possibly can, and Edge is probably a big enough pull to do that for awhile, because their houses in a lot of big markets for the last while now seem to be coming in two thirds what they used to for a lot of TVs.

Can't wait to see what Dynamite and Collision bring this week. When a PPV makes you look forward to the TV, you're hot. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Really hated the lights out and video before Edge's debut, definitely took something away from the initial pop/reaction.

Imagine they just did the "You think you know me" without any of the nonsense beforehand, would have been a pop to rival LA Knight.

Edited by The King of Old School

49 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

He’s only 18 mate. And been on tv for about three months. Give him a chance to improve on things. 

Fair point, but sometimes you get someone coming in that you immediately go 'yeah I like him a lot and he'll go far' such as Hook (not so much Action Andretti!) But I just don't feel that with Nick. 

I hope he proves me and others wrong, but on a personal level I just don't see the potential others do.

Edge in AEW is one of those things you just didn't think would happen. And it has. Perfect signing for them post Punk.

Christian rules. We might finally get a banger of an Edge/Christian feud.

The show was fucking great and Danielson is just next level. I honestly think he may be the best of all time in the ring.

Not watched the show but seen the debut, a name they probably needed to replace Punk’s name value.

Surprised they didn’t go with a closer name - could they not have used Adam Edge or something like that? Not that it’s a big deal as they’ll just refer to him as the Rated R Superstar and everyone else will call him Edge.

Fuck me. Wrestling is the absolute best.

What an absolutely cracking show, capped with a return I think we all knew was coming and yet they still (weird video aside) landed with absolute aplomb. I know he’s not always popular on here, but Edge looked an absolute fucking megastar. Which he sort of is, it’s just forgotten at times because he retired so quickly and his return was a bit wet.

Anyway, absolutely buzzing.

Only ‘bad’ things on the show for me were Yuta/Starks, FTR/Aussie Open and - weirdly - Sting looking like he couldn’t be arsed walking to the ring at the end and then turning to the ramp and saying “hurry up and get in here” to Dino Dickhead. Why was Sting so grumpy?

Yuta/Starks was fine, just felt unnecessary here and - similar to FTR/Oz - the ending never felt in much doubt which made it hard to connect to. FTR/Oz had the other issue of Aussie Open not being very good, at least to my eyes. It’s my main issue with this FTR run; if their gimmick is ‘we have absolute banger 30 minute wrestling matches’, then anytime they’re in there with someone I don’t care about, it’s not going to work as well. As it was, I thought it was an okay match technically but I never really got into it and was willing it to finish by the end.

MJF/Righteous was an absolute stonker. MJF is almost taking the piss at this point, showing off by seeing what he can get over in as short a period of time as possible. That crowd was absolutely ravenous to see a bodyslam and a man’s dreadlock’d head shoved up another man’s arse, and yet they hadn’t even thought about it before last night. The Kangaroo Kick remains absurdly over too. They need to move MJF back into a more substantial position at some point, but his ability to turn lemons into lemonade is absolutely second to none. MJF is the best.

Hangman/Swerve was absolutely fantastic. Hangman looks like he’s replaced beer with protein shakes. He looks like a power lifter, he’s so thicc. Great match, physical and fluid, and a real starmaking performance for Swerve. Him and MJF would absolutely bang so hard. Let’s do that. Swerve is the best.

Danielson/Sabre Jr was phenomenal, too. It’s hard to pick a match of the night as they all represented different types of pro-wrestling (going back to my point about why I love AEW at its best, as it’s a celebration of all of wrestling), but this was very, very special. Thought they’d shagged the cat though with that dragon screw, where ZSJ’s leg got stuck in the ground. Chain wrestling can sometimes be a bit hokey (hi, Nigel) as there doesn’t seem to be much resistance as the guys move between their moves, but this remained combative, competitive and physical. Bryan Danielson is the best.

The main event was whacky as fuck, but I loved it. Christian *did not* like that stairs spot did he? I don’t think he was botching those lifts, I just think he was really struggling with how to deposit Darby somewhat safely, hence why he went for an awkward low powerslam. A proper pro, as he kept it looking physical throughout. The mat lifting was bizarre but made for a really compelling final sequence, where even minor stuff looked brutal. Christian is the best.

Good finishing sequence, and end segment (even with Sting looking absolutely furious he had to be there). 

Back to the start though, Edge is a huge name and a big get for them. He looked the business and did his part well. I was so buzzed afterwards I thought “I’M GOING TO BUY AN EDGE SHIRT”, then looked on their store and I’m pleased to report they’re continuing the trend of absolutely terrible Edge merchandise.

I’m happy for him. You get the sense WWE had nothing for him, and promised him more than he got on his return. His social media post after last night suggests as much.

He’s exactly what AEW need right now and, providing everyone looks after his neck, I hope he has as good a run as Christian is having. They both deserve it.

Professional wrestling is THE BEST.

I love that Edge is essentially walking around saying to people “don’t worry, I’m not Phil!”

Edited by d-d-d-dAz