RIP Terry Funk

Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members

an absolute peak Terry Funk "value for money" performance is the '98 Royal Rumble. Him and Cactus Jack open, so you get some typical 1998 hardcore stuff to start, but for his whole run in that match he's having little mini-matches with everyone else in there - he tries to box with Marc Mero at one point - as well as hitting his mad moonsault, doing all of his best wobbly leg selling, and some of the best Rumble save spots ever; I'm not talking about "skinning the cat" or overly choreographed Kofi Kingston spots, just a crazy middle-aged man tying himself up in the ropes and clinging on for dear life. He's superb in that match, and really has no business being as entertaining as he was there.

Listening to the Must See Matches podcast discuss Flair vs. Steamboat from Clash VI, and they bring up what a great commentator Funk was on that match, which is something I've always overlooked when singing his praises, but a great talker like him who always had a vested interest in helping other people get over and up their game? Of course he was an amazing colour commentator.

21 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

There's a random little Mark Henry vs Funk match from Raw in 98 that is very fun.

Funk has his work cut out here, Henry is SO green at this point!

@BomberPatgreat shout on Rumble 98. I also love his clowning in 97. There is a brilliant spot where Flash Funk is on the top rope ready to cross body someone. Terry is absolutely nowhere near it yet does his drunken stumble all around the ring right as Flash comes off the top and clatters him perfectly with a dive. Wonderful.

Edited by Chili

Just remembered one of my favourite Funk stories. 

Gist of it is Funk going up to Luke Gallows backstage at a WWE show in 2006 and congratulating him on getting a job, believing he was some old worker he knew from the territory days or something. 

Gallows was about 23 at the time. 

Chainsaw Charlie is a debut I have a soft spot for. The box, the fact it's Terry Funk as Leatherface's weekend dad swinging a chainsaw in some mad dance as he spins down the aisle. It's absurd. I love him just hoofing the chainsaw. Out of his tree.

Edited by Chili

3 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Just remembered one of my favourite Funk stories. 

Gist of it is Funk going up to Luke Gallows backstage at a WWE show in 2006 and congratulating him on getting a job, believing he was some old worker he knew from the territory days or something. 

Gallows was about 23 at the time. 

Probably thought it was Kane

4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

an absolute peak Terry Funk "value for money" performance is the '98 Royal Rumble. Him and Cactus Jack open, so you get some typical 1998 hardcore stuff to start, but for his whole run in that match he's having little mini-matches with everyone else in there - he tries to box with Marc Mero at one point - as well as hitting his mad moonsault, doing all of his best wobbly leg selling, and some of the best Rumble save spots ever; I'm not talking about "skinning the cat" or overly choreographed Kofi Kingston spots, just a crazy middle-aged man tying himself up in the ropes and clinging on for dear life. He's superb in that match, and really has no business being as entertaining as he was there.

Terry trying to shake Kurrgan's hand over the rope then doing a little jig away from him always tickled me. 

• Paid Members

I realise this is pretty much all to do with demographics, but just seen a clip of the Smackdown intro and found it a bit sad at the miniscule cheer Terry Funk’s name got compared to Bray Wyatt. 

The first time I ever saw Terry Funk was on the old Reslo TV show we had in Wales, which regularly featured CWA bouts from Germany as well as Orig Williams promoted cards across Wales. I have a child’s memory of him stampeding to the ring in chaps, threatening everyone in the crowd and thinking he was legitimately crazy. 

Thanks to Ric Flair’s first box set I then fell in love with his short 1989 NWA run.

Hardcore wrestling was never my cup of tea (in fact I fucking hate it), so have never, and probably never will seek out any of his deathmatch stuff. But will we ever see such a versatile performer ever again? I very much doubt it.

9 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I realise this is pretty much all to do with demographics, but just seen a clip of the Smackdown intro and found it a bit sad at the miniscule cheer Terry Funk’s name got compared to Bray Wyatt. 

While it's undoubtedly part of it - and not wanting to downplay one against the other - I would speculate the loss of a guy with an incredible lengthy career vs the shock of losing a young guy still in the prime of his career is something to do with it as well. In fact I was quite surprised they even did anything for Terry Funk - not that he didn't deserve it but just because we've lost a lot of guys along the way who haven't had something specific dedicated to them. I'm glad they did though.