Summerslam: Down Since Day One Ish

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

and as someone who couldn't wait for a Reigns heel run I find his whole big-match formula really disapointing. It's just the same match everytime. A long, plodding, drawn-out saga with Roman pausing after every move to verbally explain the story instead of letting the action tell the story. I'm aware I'm very much on my own here, but I think the Bloodline could be the most overrated storyline in WWE history too. Just an endless series of promos with people doing there best conflicted faces with no endgame in sight.

I very much related to this. Talking to a friend about it last night and said the same. When he came back and turned heel, it was the most interested I had been for ages. And for the first 6-12 months, I thought it was great. But every match seems the same. When did he last win completely clean, with no interference? Imagine how many people could be built up if they didn't have a 30 minute Bloodline segment every week? And isn't that the point, he has no-one because anyone that has been built up, hes beat and there is no-one.

The Bloodline is like Lost. The had the beginning and end mapped out.  The ending has changed due to The Rock not coming back and them getting Cody. But because the ratings are up they have continued to drag it out without knowing what to put in the middle, and now people are losing interest because they have strung it out too long. As much as from a storyline point of view, I would have loved Sami to have been the one, but it should logically have been Cody, at Mania. Even if thats what they end up doing next year, it wont mean anywhere near as much as it would have this year.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Even if thats what they end up doing next year, it wont mean anywhere near as much as it would have this year.

Maybe. Maybe not. The question has always been whether they can keep Cody as hot as he was and I think it's fair to say they've done a really good job of it so far. It's obviously hard to measure but I'd argue the possibility that he's actually more over now with crowds.. but it's also August. So there's the big challenge of what to do with him now for however many months if you're really going to have him go over at Mania. That's quite a long time to keep interest in Reigns going as well as in Cody. The fact that business is so strong would indicate they have no real desire to deviate from any plans at the moment because realistically why would they?

In the end a few disgruntled people online aren't going to change their plans. We know that. But even moreso when there's no financial reason to shift things either.

Nobody seems to be acknowledging the idea of it ending up being Roman/Cody 3 at 41. I think that's been the plan all along. They need to keep Cody hot for another 18 months not 6. Roman ia taking Hogan's record before he drops his crown.

Edited by Angle_fan

• Paid Members

Having Roman Reigns beat everyone for three years has its impact on Cody as the (short-term) heir apparent too - who can Cody have a meaningful feud with between now and next year's Wrestlemania that makes him still feel as fresh, interesting and compelling as he was at the last Rumble? And, come the Royal Rumble, assuming Cody wins it, will the audience be as on-board with that decision as they were a year earlier, or are they going to be rooting for (e.g.) L.A. Knight instead, and then reject Cody as the hand-picked obvious winner? 

Again, there's nothing in the months since Wrestlemania, nor do I think there will be between now and the next Wrestlemania, that wouldn't have made more sense with Cody beating Roman.

Even doing the "broken arm" angle against Lesnar felt like an attempt to artificially recreate Cody working injured in the Hell In A Cell match with Rollins, which tells me that they have a sense of why Cody has the audience on his side, but that I don't have much faith in them to keep things that way. Sooner or later he runs into whatever the modern equivalent of Daniel Bryan's first feud as champion being against Kane, or Randy Orton feuding with Shane McMahon, is.

And that's all assuming that Cody goes on to beat Roman at next year's Wrestlemania. Even if that's the match, I still have zero faith in them not changing their minds at the last minute and keeping the belt on Reigns. I'm not convinced Reigns drops the title before 2025.

Edited by BomberPat

Fuck me, imagine they have Cody beat Seth only for Priest to cash-in immediately. How's that for adversity?

I'd be amazed if they go Cody/Seth, especially given Cody gave an interview recently where he said he didn't want to wrestle him again!

Seth/Gunther (seguing into an Imperium/Judgment Day feud ahead of Survivor Series) and Cody/Logan Paul please.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Has there ever been a Cody v AJ match?

No. They've only ever been wrestling in the same promotion between the 2016 Rumble and "Stardust" requesting his release, and never wrestled during that time.

16 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Gunther vs Cody would be great. After Gunther has beaten Honky Tonk Mans record later this year get the IC belt of him, then move him to Cody. Seems a bit like something you would want to save for down the line with one of them being world champion though.

I'm actually a big fan of mid card feuds that then get repeated at the top of the card once both guys are elevated. It's not something they seem to do a huge amount of these days but it always made sense to me how some rivalries kept going no matter what the belt was they were fighting over. But yeah a lot of the time feuds do seem to be "saved" for the top tier or whatever these days.

I think deep down I knew reigns would win but that finish just left me fucking angry, the whole point of that match happening was solo and Roman injuring Jimmy and jay wanting revenge and redemption towards the family that did the damage to his blood and brother.

Jimmy turning and having Roman look clueless about it just feels like they did it to draw it out more instead of the world following and being genuinely invested. At least to me it felt like it deflated the crowd as opposed to previously where reactions were so deep and heartfelt. 

At least for me personally I feel taken away from it all than I have been and honestly this has been the most emotionally invested I have been towards anything in WWE for so many years, so that sucks a hell of alot because I don't want to see the USO brothers in a singles feud just for the sake of drawing all this out.

7 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

At least for me personally I feel taken away from it all than I have been and honestly this has been the most emotionally invested I have been towards anything in WWE for so many years, so that sucks a hell of alot because I don't want to see the USO brothers in a singles feud just for the sake of drawing all this out.

I get what you're saying but isn't it ALL for the sake of drawing it out? None of it is real. Each part is crafted to continue the story. Who's to say what they've had planned and for how long? None of us know where we are now in their plans and how long any of it has been discussed.

It'd be interesting to hear all sides once this is all done. There's got to be a lot of stories to tell and a lot of decisions being made along the way. It's a fascinating piece of business.

25 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I get what you're saying but isn't it ALL for the sake of drawing it out? None of it is real. Each part is crafted to continue the story. Who's to say what they've had planned and for how long? None of us know where we are now in their plans and how long any of it has been discussed.

It'd be interesting to hear all sides once this is all done. There's got to be a lot of stories to tell and a lot of decisions being made along the way. It's a fascinating piece of business.

Your absolutely correct we don't know what the plan is and why and I will be watching smackdown at least this week to hear Jimmy explain why because for me on the surface it just made no sense at all, even if Jimmy is jealous and upset about jay capitalising on his injury and being "main event" jay uso....the reason he got injured and put in hospital was because of Roman and solo so surely he would want him to dethrone him and then take umbridge at him getting the belt.

They have knocked it out the park with the level of storytelling so I guess I need to give them more credit and at least let them explain but it just felt so disheartening