Christ, they’re not dead!

Butch2000

A thread for people you’re amazed that are still popping.

I’ll start with one I found out today, and it really took me aback.

Burt Fucking Young! Young being the operative term as he’s only 83! So he was only 36 the first time he played Paulie in Rocky. I thought he was on deaths door when he was in the sopranos about 15 years back and he was only in his sprightly 60s. And God Bless, he’s still going.

• Paid Members

Mike Yarwood. Given his career was completely dead by the mid 80's I'd always assumed he'd died in the 90's like Larry Grayson who followed a not dissimilar trajectory. Still time for a comebacks. TikTok would go apeshit for Harold Wilson impressions.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Mike Yarwood. Given his career was completely dead by the mid 80's I'd always assumed he'd died in the 90's like Larry Grayson who followed a not dissimilar trajectory. Still time for a comebacks. TikTok would go apeshit for Harold Wilson impressions.

Who lives in the same nursing home as another "fuck, they're still alive?" candidate Richard O Sullivan, star of Man About the House. The scrapes they must get in!

20 minutes ago, seph said:

William Shatner. 92 and can pass for 62.

I thought Steve-O was Gok Wan for a second there.

I’m not sure if it was a full Mandela effect thing or if it was just amongst my peers but I spent years thinking Carlton was dead only to be filled with utter joy when he showed up on Graham Norton doing the Carlton dance. What a gift.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I’m not sure if it was a full Mandela effect thing or if it was just amongst my peers but I spent years thinking Carlton was dead only to be filled with utter joy when he showed up on Graham Norton doing the Carlton dance. What a gift.

On that note, Kel from Keenan and Kel is very definitely alive, and not dead like I've been told many times in schoolyards and pubs. 

There should be some kind of award/investigation if someone gets both their first mention in this thread and the death thread within a certain timeframe.

To be honest I thought of doing that deliberately.

It should be renamed The Yarwood Effect as I'm convinced I saw on the news years ago that he'd died.

Not only that, but I assumed from the length of time that he's been in that home that Richard O'Sullivan must be in a really bad way.

It was nice to see them both looking well in that photo that's doing the rounds.

• Paid Members

Richard Wilson for me. He looked in his late 70's when he was in One Foot in the Grave. The fact he is 86 and still with us shocks me.

Kurt Fuller is another one. Not because I thought he was old though, but because he seemed to be a villian(ish) in so many films I watched growing up and then after the mid 90's seemed to disappear. He is very much still with us and acting though.

6 hours ago, gmoney said:

Who lives in the same nursing home as another "fuck, they're still alive?" candidate Richard O Sullivan, star of Man About the House. The scrapes they must get in!

Richard O'Sullivan was so good in Man About the House and so charismatic that it's a real shame he's been in a care home for decades. I remember seeing a picture of him years ago after his stroke and he looked so much older than he was. For a man like him to be as frail and reclusive is a real shame. That being said more recent photos have him appearing brighter with old friends so yes it's great he's still alive and getting the care he needs.

Find it crazy to think Dick Van Dyke is still alive/well. He's 97 now and still popping up in things. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Richard Wilson for me. He looked in his late 70's when he was in One Foot in the Grave. The fact he is 86 and still with us shocks me.

He was 53 in the first episode. There's an account at https://twitter.com/MeldrewPoint that posts when somebody reaches the same age (to the day). Jay Z, Ed Miliband and Jay K are recent additions.

• Paid Members

Another ITV comedy stalwart who's still with us is Brian Murphy, or George from George and Mildred. I occasionally forget he's not dead, possibly because Yootha Joyce (Mildred) died in the early 80s.