CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

11 hours ago, RedRooster said:

It’s incredibly stupid. I can’t say I disagree with Punk on this one. 

I tend to agree. I’m wondering if the anti-Punk camp leaked a bunch of stuff on the back of the Hangman comments.

Whatever the case, so much of this strikes me as childish, and not just from Punk’s side.

I think that's the thing - BOTH sides are being incredibly childish, it's just the Bucks, Matt Hardy, etc do it by feeding stories to Meltzer so they can go 'I've never said anything about Punk myself...'. Same with the Britt Baker - Thunder Rosa stuff.

If people think it's just Punk that's the problem they are not seeing the bigger picture.
As with any toxic work environment, it starts at the top. AEW is WCW in the late 90's all over again with overpaid talent who have too much power and don't have to do anything they don't want to do, while management are busy putting themselves over and saying 'There's nothing to see here'

As has been said, Wembley is papering over a lot of cracks. People are starting to open their eyes and see that AEW is just another promotion where the wrestlers are milking the clueless money mark for all they can.

It's a shame.

Corruption is inevitable. Especially with that many people involved. It's the same with your friendly local politicians who can please people at a basic level and then get promoted and end up having to deal with a whole world of pain at a higher level. The more AEW grows and the more people they take on the harder it is for Tony to keep everything and everyone under control.

2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think I’ve decided the funniest end to all of this would be that it actually is a work, Omega calls him out tonight at Dynamite, they have a match at All In/Out and… they just don’t gel at all and the match is an utter damp fart disappointment. 

Match ends with Punk's knee crumbling to dust after attempting a V-trigger. 

46 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I haven't seen anything close to The Bucks feeding "info" to Dave in so long now, if anything it feels like The Elite guys have almost fobbed him off in recent years and Jericho is the real main snitch.

Yeah it’s just a way for people who don’t like them to take shots. Meltzer has near enough said all his brawl out info has come from FTR Bald and others in punks camp. Some just love to keep digging when in the elite are awful and aew can’t be a success hole 

• Paid Members
On 8/14/2023 at 6:26 PM, Browser Brady said:

Gets the impressions and “engagement” up with people going, “Huh?”, “What?”, “Explain?” so he then qualifies for a slice of that Twitter X ad revenue. 

40 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Match ends with Punk's knee crumbling to dust after attempting a V-trigger. 

Honestly I thought this was how the situation would go. Omega and the Bucks (OmegaBucks, lol) graciously offer to job in a trios match, but then implicitly force Punk's ego to gas himself out and injure himself trying to keep up with them at their flippy floppy fastest.

1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

People are starting to open their eyes and see that AEW is just another promotion where the wrestlers are milking the clueless money mark for all they can.

It's a shame.

Is that really anymore or less true than it was in 2019?

4 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Seems to me that the biggest problem here is  management: a lot of the AEW staff seem to be nice guys who want everyone to get along. The boss is the biggest mark for the wrestlers there. They need a loyal, authoritative and nasty cunt who can keep the wrestlers in line and essentially be Tony Khan's hit man and take all the heat from the boys. Vince always seemed to have a few on the books in different periods: JR, Laurinitus, Terry Taylor for example.

Even if you put aside the bad cop aspect.

NFL and Fulham season's starting, weekly Wednesday & Saturday shows, with Jarrett talking about continuing house shows on Fridays, Sundays, and possibly Thursdays.

Khan isn't going to be at everything all the time. While Megha Parekh might be seen as the right hand of the business, I don't see any one person that can be seen in that role for the wrestling side.

30 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Who the fuck wouldn't try and milk their boss for all they can?

Even Randy Orton pretended he was interested in going to AEW to get more money out of Vince.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying it's classic pro wrestling. 

Everybody loves the company they work for as long as the massive cheques they are getting still clear. 

4 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

He needs to be on AEW's side. The business. Make the right decision.

Maybe that's why he's gritting his teeth and letting Punk have a lot of leeway, though? I mean, people scrutinise the numbers that Collision gets on a week-to-week basis and use them to measure Punk's success and popularity.

But here's a question. Is there anyone else on the roster who could head up their own show? Could AEW have said they were going to carry out a brand split and have The Bucks as the main players with a handful of random talent? Or even do the same with Omega or Hangman? I don't think so.

So, while Punk is a moaning-faced prick and is undoubtedly not a man you'd want to have a beer with (mostly because he'd sit there with you, drinking his Pepsi and shooting you condescending looks all night) maybe Khan is giving him a ton of leeway because he's shifting merch like nobody's business, and is pulling an entire show along based almost entirely off his own brand?

1 hour ago, Vamp said:

Is that really anymore or less true than it was in 2019?

Oh, it's absolutely no less true than it was 2019 but the public narrative has certainly changed from 'These guys really want to make the business better for everyone' to 'These guys are clearly just bilking this clueless billionaire of as much money as they can'. It was ALWAYS the latter, it's just less people were inclined to say/believe it in 2019.

14 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

How long does Tony Khan have to run the biggest wrestling promotion of the last 20+ years, sign big money TV deals, and break attendance records, before he doesn't qualify as a "clueless billionaire" any more? 

Once he becomes an old white sex pest.