CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Omega and the Young Bucks would have the red carpet rolled out for them in WWE, for two reasons - to justify how much they would have had to pay them to jump ship (the Young Bucks' current AEW contract apparently makes them the highest paid tag team in history), and to signal to anyone else working for AEW that there's an opportunity for them on the other side.

The question is whether that red carpet would stay there for long. I don't think Kenny Omega sticks around the main event picture for more than a token match before slotting into the AJ Styles/Finn Balor/Seth Rollins spot of being a directionless "have good matches" type feuding with the bottom rung one week to being heated up for a World Title match the next.

The Young Bucks would definitely get presented as one of the biggest teams in the company, but what does that mean? The Tag Team Championships have only been main eventing PPVs because they've been adjacent to the Roman Reigns story; since Owens and Sami won them, they've been defended three times.

The Usos' title reign, during which they were part of the Bloodline storyline that everyone raves about, since unifying the two brands' tag titles, only wrestled at five out of ten PPVs that they could have appeared at. The Tag Titles haven't been defended in a month, and the most recent pay-per-view didn't have a single tag team match on the card, and that's not some weird anomaly - of the last ten PPVs, six haven't featured a men's tag team match at all, and you have to go back to Clash At The Castle last September to find a tag team match that didn't involve the Bloodline. Summerslam 2022, a year ago, is the last time there was more than one men's tag team match on a WWE PPV card. Even if the Young Bucks were the biggest tag team in the company, being the biggest tag team in the company doesn't even guarantee you a spot on 50% of the big shows right now.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Omega and the Young Bucks would have the red carpet rolled out for them in WWE, for two reasons - to justify how much they would have had to pay them to jump ship (the Young Bucks' current AEW contract apparently makes them the highest paid tag team in history),

Ah, memories of people thinking AJ was going to be sent to NXT in 2016. Because you’d pay the kind of money required to lure AJ Styles into signing, to send him to developmental.

5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The question is whether that red carpet would stay there for long. I don't think Kenny Omega sticks around the main event picture for more than a token match before slotting into the AJ Styles/Finn Balor/Seth Rollins spot of being a directionless "have good matches" type feuding with the bottom rung one week to being heated up for a World Title match the next.

I think a lot of that would come down to how committed they are to going all the way with Cody, and in turn how much sway Cody would have in terms of his direction and if he could go to bat for Omega. I can easily imagine him talking Hunter around to letting Omega be his big rival once he’s on top, the way Triple H and Rock had each other. Completely different times, completely different styles of wrestlers, but I think you know what I’m going for.

3 hours ago, Loki said:

Do you remember how much better AEW was back in (checks first post in thread) - fuck me, only March, before Punk came back and wasn't constantly derailing their promotion attempts?

Speak for yourself. My absolute favourite period of AEW was from Double or Nothing 2021 to roughly when the ROH stuff was all over TV. I’m not saying it was solely because of Punk’s involvement, but he was a big part of it.

27 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

How is he "essentially Cody"? Other than both being babyfaces I don't really see any similarities.

He's "essentially Cody" in the sense that he is an earnest babyface, who does the right thing and operates by a moral code; whether it's sticking by his (former) friends in the Dark Order, or standing up for what - or who - he believes in. 

Hangman has a bit more complexity to him, in that he is flawed and human - but I think, at their core, they play the same kind of babyface. They're not "badasses", and they don't pretend to be. They don't verbally rip babyfaces apart like The Rock did; and they're not explicitly designed to appeal to a young audience, like Cena. 

You get behind them because of who they are, and how they express themselves. I think there are clear similarities; although they're obviously not identical - to me, they represent the same kind of babyface. 

Yeah the balls about Punk 'slamming' PWTees the other week for misprinting a shirt and it turning into Columbo was the tipping point for me re sticking my head in discussions that involve any of this wank and AEW's been a fucking blast ever since, I wish i'd done it in Sptember but sunrise/sunset etc

Edited by Cannibal Man

I personally have always enjoyed the backstage nonsense. Otherwise, what am I going to talk about? The TV shows?! That's insane.

Anyway, I am calling it: this blows up at the Dynamite/Collision taping prior to All In and some people don't make it to London.

If punk is still on his bullshit next week; he’s getting the Bret hart show up at bell time deal and told to come in for collision taping ending when everyone else has left 

5 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

It’s just the gift that keeps on giving this week:

’Fightful has learned about an argument that took place near the start of AEW Collision between CM Punk and Jack Perry over an issue that many took with a planned spot of Perry's’

It's the grift that keeps on giving

Towards the start of Punk’s AEW Collision run, during the Canada tapings, Jungle Boy Jack Perry was brought to Collision to film a segment, and the two had words about the plans that Perry was supposedly pushing.

According to those on the side of Punk, Perry wanted to use real glass for a backstage segment. Punk was of the belief that he did this so he didn’t need to come to work the next week, which he sees as a big problem in the company.

Per Punk’s side of things, Perry was going against production, doctors and Tony Schiavone advising him not to do it and them telling him that smashing real glass was a safety hazard, and Perry wasn’t happy with that.

Punk’s claim was that he was asked to step in and calmly said that they don’t do that on Saturdays (for Collision) and if he doesn’t like it, he could stay on Wednesdays. Word of the situation had made its way around the locker room, and was referred to as an argument. Punk's claim was that Perry was throwing a temper tantrum over the spot not being cleared and people trying to prevent it.

1 minute ago, Browser Brady said:

Is there anything suss about the timing of the reports all coming out this week ?

As I understand it, some of these happened weeks ago but are only surfacing now.

Or did the CM Punk post match comments kick all this off .

It’s just common in life. One thing comes out and people start talking on other things.

To be fair using real glass is pretty dumb. If true of course. 

Still though the idea of Punk lording it over all the naughty kids and marks on Collision while everyone else is like fuck this clown, I'll stick to Wednesdays is both hilarious and tragic.

I'm really enjoying the TV but there is a definite cloud over everything.