CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
On 12/27/2023 at 8:07 AM, Supremo said:

Still insane that Punk left AEW with his last match at Wembley Stadium, then returned to WWE with his first match at a sold out Madison Square Garden.

The Gardens always loved them a bit of Punk.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:38 PM, air_raid said:

AUGUST 2008

Punk and Bradshaw go on last inside a cage at MSG in front of an astonishing 19,068.

I need to touch on that 19,068. At MSG the company cries “sellout” at anything around 16,750 seats sold, which is one north of the number reported for Survivor Series 2011 where THE ROCK got back in the ring. 19,068 is a number Steve Austin would have been proud of, actually beats some of the attendances in the halcyon days of 98-99 including SummerSlam 98 by reportedly 2 bodies, and is within touching distance of the famed 19,506 from just before Fully Loaded 98… and I can tell you based on numbers of every other drawing card that main evented the building from Austin onwards, that number of hardcore wrestling came to the Garden to see CM Punk defend one of the World titles of WWE. The talking heads on the Network will always tell you New York is the yardstick and they’ll tell you who they like. Well, in August 2008 they spoke with their wallets and WWE didn’t listen.

I was at that show in 2008. I think Batista and Cena were in a tag team match, and it later came out Cena had been working with a neck injury and he took some time out.

Buying a CM Punk shirt was impossible, they'd sold out everywhere.

My now wife and I were sat next to an American family. The parents kept asking me to 'say something' because their kids liked the English accent.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I was at that show in 2008. I think Batista and Cena were in a tag team match, and it later came out Cena had been working with a neck injury and he took some time out.

You think correct, beating Kane & Y2J in literally Johns last match before hitting the bench. Somewhat curtailing plans to start the build for the planned Cena vs Batista match for Mania 25, for which while Super Cena WILL recover in time for, Big Dave will manage to be injured for.

Short-term, and to keep this reply on topic for the thread, Cena will also miss the Scramble match he was announced for at Unforgiven, where Punk famously drops the belt without actually wrestling the match. Lame.

• 2 weeks later...

All In? That's ancient history. Back when Punk was dishing out Starbucks cards, threatening spoiled rich kids and generally being a moaning-faced prick.

We've all moved on since then, accepting that he's actually one of the biggest stars in the game and is a perfect fit for modern-day WWE. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, David said:

accepting that he's actually one of the biggest stars in the game and is a perfect fit for modern-day WWE. 

he hasn't had a single match on TV or PPV yet, and based on the response I see online, his promos have been 50/50 at best. Maybe that is a perfect fit for modern-day WWE, but given the state of WWE, that's not glowing praise.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

he hasn't had a single match on TV or PPV yet, and based on the response I see online, his promos have been 50/50 at best. Maybe that is a perfect fit for modern-day WWE, but given the state of WWE, that's not glowing praise.

Cult Of Mediocrity, more like.

cm punk wrestling GIF by WWE

18 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I believe our @David was deploying sarcasm .