Money In The Bank - O2 London

Merzbow

I’ve got to be honest, I struggle a bit with the LA Knight thing and people being angry about it.

I think a hotshot briefcase booking is probably worst than a title in a way, as it a) sets an expectation they’ll win a world title and b) they’ll have probably planned out what the next few months looks like from a briefcase holder perspective.

At least with a hotshot title win, you can just give it back fairly quickly if you need to.

If they don’t see LA Knight winning the big one within 12 months, or have a plan for Seth/Finn/Damian, it’s very hard to unpick that for the current crowd favourite.

Honestly, I just want them to do Logan Paul/LA Knight at Summerslam. That’d be a huge deal, and then take stock from there. But if he finishes the year with a Logan Paul match at a Big Four event and then maybe takes the US title from Theory, that’s a hell of a year.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Overall - Thunderbastard of a show. London were seriously treated to a brilliant spectacle. 

👍 Bloodline Civil War - Ok, so it perhaps dragged a tad before the conclusion, but butter my bollocks what a conclusion it was. The moves, the kickouts, the emotion, all of it. Jey getting the pin is just absolutely massive. For London to be the city that gets to see Roman eat his first pin in all that time is pretty special. Another roaring success in the best WWE storyline ever, which I’m feeling more in more confident in claiming it as now. The longevity, the raw emotion, the presentation, the execution, it’s just absolutely wonderful. Roll on Summerslam. 

👍 Cena - Fuck, what a surprise and what an ovation. They don’t necessarily have to run ‘Mania at Wembley although that would obviously be a preferred choice - by all means run it at the Spurs stadium or the Olympic stadium as alternative options (Stratford would actually be a really good shout - you could run a load of the Axxess stuff nearby on the Olympic Park, it’s only a few stops away direct to the 02 for Smackers/NXT/Raw etc). And you know what, they should run it in fucking Australia as well because that would also be mint. Cena though, what an absolute lad for trying to do that for London. Got the ovation he deserved. 

👍 MITB matches - Both well worth a watch and I enjoyed them immensely. No issue with either winner - exciting possibilities in both instances. Some spots didn’t quite get executed perfectly but the vast majority meant something across both, which is great. Thought Logan Paul was dead after that Spanish fly spot. 

👍 Cody vs Dirty Dom Dom - Fuck, what a crowd for Cody. Again, richly deserved and firm proof once again that he is a massive worldwide star, and when the time comes, as I still think it will, hitch the wagon to him and he’ll deliver. Match was fun without being a classic from an in-ring standpoint, but putting two performers together here with nuclear heat either side of the face/heel divide was an inspired choice. 

👍 Women’s tag titles - Was fine leading up to the finish with Shayna turning on Ronda, which I actually think is a good direction for both of them. It’s something that I think will revitalise both more so than a tag title reign and you can really put together a big fight feel from it. 

👎 Gunther/Riddle - Perhaps it’s a surprising thumbs down because it wasn’t terrible - but it just didn’t feel special compared to recent Gunther defences and perhaps was a little too easy to telegraph. Nice to see Drew back, that’ll be a corker at Summerslam. 

👎 Rollins/Balor - Again not horrendous  by any means, and perhaps it was down to positioning on the card and a touch of burnout. But this one just didn’t quite tingle the testes as much as I’d hoped on this particular stage. Priest interfering and causing tension with Balor is a fun dynamic though and it will make things interesting moving forward in terms of how everything plays out. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Forgot to mention, that Ricochet/Paul table bump was terrifying. 

I assume they were meant to seamlessly go from ladder to top rope to table but the fact they didn't and Paul going pretty much head first through the one table was really scary.

I’m all for improvising and it’s an important skill in wrestling but there has to be a cut off point and that seemed it. I honestly thought Paul had spiked himself through the table to the floor until replays showed he managed to adjust enough at last second.

I don’t need any wrestler to paralyse themself to give me one extra crazy stunt.

Seth was an interesting one. Might be in the minority here but he was the only one I was a little.. do I want to say underwhelmed with in terms of reaction?

Sami off the charts. Cody. LA Knight obviously. Even the Usos. Cena. But yeah based on what I'd been watching lately I'd almost expected a bit more from the crowds for Seth over the couple of nights. 

12 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

by all means run it at the Spurs stadium

I think it can hold just over 70,000 in a concert/event type set up, so obviously over 2 nights that is decent, but surely WWE will want the prestige of having it at Wembley, with all the history. 

I also think that Tottenham is limited on how many events/concerts it can run per year.

But...it does have go karting and the greatest fried chicken place in England and Stratford is a hole, so let's see.

Something something at least a championship will be won there at last.

• Paid Members

I'm not bothered about in ring stuff much these days but the crowd with their ridiculous energy levels and a handful of cool little surprises were enough to make this a really fun and engaging show. The pomp and pageantry of entrances is more my bag and this didn't disappoint. Cody, Rollins and Cena being showered with noise was just great. Ear to ear grinning fun. 

The Mania at London stuff was some great shit-housery. 

Good stuff. 

• Paid Members

So the Cena stuff is the same he’s been spouting for the last decade at house shows or dark matches. Difference is this is the first time he’s done it on a PPV/PLE.

HHH’s comments at the presser were basically if they want it, pay us for it so unless they are doing this for purely petty reasons (like to outsell All In) it ain’t happening.

They have to be smart about it all from a business perspective. It's never an easy decision to make. Plus if you start flooding other markets with PLEs then they become less special and less people will decide to go. Plus at those prices you'll run into people struggling together go so it depends how many you've got overall that might want tickets.

It's helping that they've got a hot product right now. Probably the best they've had in I don't know how many years. So MITB couldn't have come at a better time. But it'll be interesting to see what the next step is for the UK specifically.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

There’s takes on that Cena segment then there’s this

https://twitter.com/aewgold/status/1675367721544949761?s=46&t=PtVv2HIhDe9GOEovNx_PJA

I mean anti AEW twitter accounts believe All In has sold 500 tickets with Tony Khan buying the rest so let’s not use twitter accounts as a barometer of quality. It’s like someone saying Stratford is a shithole when trying to big up Tottenham Hotspur stadium. Laughable.

Another thing I’m really getting annoyed with at the moment in this time of WWE trying to prove their dominance, is the inflated audiences. During the show Michael Cole said there was over 18k in the o2. During the press conference HHH said during the Smackdown and MItB PLE they welcomed over 37k fans. Except we know it’s bollocks because the majority of tickets were sold as 2 night bundles. 

• Paid Members

I saw a clip of the Ricochet spot on Reddit and though I didn't hear it myself apparently he asks Logan if he's ready and Logan says no and he just does the spot anyway. I think Logan being so naturally talented to land fairly safely is the only reason Ricochet isn't currently in deep shit right now.

7 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

There’s takes on that Cena segment then there’s this

https://twitter.com/aewgold/status/1675367721544949761?s=46&t=PtVv2HIhDe9GOEovNx_PJA

Imagine seriously thinking that the biggest wrestling company in the world might bring their biggest show of the year to one of their most lucrative markets out of pettiness. Loons everywhere.