TNA… Cross the Line again

garynysmon

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

So Sonny Kiss is wrestling for the Knockouts Title, TNA doing better with them than AEW did the entire run.

I’m pretty sure WBD had a strict no intergender singles matches policy. Which is why almost anything like that has been on PPV. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm not entirely sure that the best way of capitalising on that TNA announcement was to essentially shut down for 2.5 months and lose any buzz you may have generated.

"We tried to sign Ospreay and Punk" doesn't really cut it when the world and their auntie knows you're up against a faceless billion dollar conglomerate and the spoiled son of a billionaire who's running his own real life e-fed.

Christ alive, Impact/TNA is flat as a pancake since BFG. They'll probably sign a cunt like Matt Riddle now and piss me off even more.

Edited by garynysmon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I think the problem is they can't afford to. The TV is on the owners network, the tapings are often free (or small venues so not doing huge numbers). Punk going their over WWE would have been interesting, because he could have afforded to take a lower pay deal if he had wanted to. Most wrestlers want to make as much as they can, as quickly as they can before they break down. It's a real shame.

• Paid Members

It's more or less standard practice in AAA; they create gimmicks for most of their talent, and that means they own the name and mask design, rather than the wrestler owning it. More often than not, if somebody leaves AAA, they will introduce a new version of the character - for non-Lucha fans, Psicosis and La Parka are probably the most high profile examples.

The main thing there is that, within AAA and their audience, there's no expectation to believe that the current Sexy Star is a continuation of the original, or connected to her in any other way. It's only when she pops up in non-Lucha contexts that people draw attention to it, because it always means having this "no, not that Sexy Star" conversation. I haven't checked Luchablog's Twitter today, but I can almost guarantee that he has Tweeted about having to constantly field this question.

23 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's more or less standard practice in AAA; they create gimmicks for most of their talent, and that means they own the name and mask design, rather than the wrestler owning it. More often than not, if somebody leaves AAA, they will introduce a new version of the character - for non-Lucha fans, Psicosis and La Parka are probably the most high profile examples.

The main thing there is that, within AAA and their audience, there's no expectation to believe that the current Sexy Star is a continuation of the original, or connected to her in any other way. It's only when she pops up in non-Lucha contexts that people draw attention to it, because it always means having this "no, not that Sexy Star" conversation. I haven't checked Luchablog's Twitter today, but I can almost guarantee that he has Tweeted about having to constantly field this question.

Even outside of AAA and Lucha its not unknown to recycle a masked persona. Tiger Mask and Black Tiger. Keeping it to TNA/Impact there have different people as Suicide.

Further back Mr Wrestling. Do the various Doinks official & unofficial count?

Sexy Star was one of the more successful gimmicks they had. She was even the champion at the time the originator was let go. Besides intentionally hurting someone in a match, I don't think she did anything else controversial enough that would have ruined the use of the gimmick.