Paid Members garynysmon Posted June 1, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted June 1, 2024 (edited) For the record though, I fail to see how these departures are a positive move. Its a crap look. But it's also a far cry from the walls caving in. Personally I'd have liked the Scott D'amore sale to go through as I feel he's the best possible person to lead a company of TNA's size/scale. But given the bid was rejected out of hand, Anthem aren't keen to let go. Edited June 1, 2024 by garynysmon Quote
Merzbow Posted June 1, 2024 Posted June 1, 2024 (edited) Scott clearly had a good vision for the company, it was the first time in ages that there were genuine hype for the company before Anthem split from him and now we're back to people yelling lolTNA. And while the TV show isn't actually that bad it's a definite step behind where it was. Edited June 1, 2024 by Merzbow Quote
Paid Members garynysmon Posted June 3, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted June 3, 2024 (edited) Another worrying departure in Lou D’Angeli (Sign Guy Dudley) from the live events department (an employee of Anthem rather than TNA). Under his watch there’s been incremental growth in attendances, so on the surface it appears to be quite baffling. Anthem’s MMA product, Invicta, has supposedly secured a new distribution deal and they want the same person to produce both TNA and Invicta’s TV output. As both entities tape approx once a month its entirely doable, but I do question the logic of sacking someone who should be growing your revenue. Combined with Scott D’amore, who reportedly wanted to spend more and strike while the iron’s hot after the success of Hard to Kill, the recent pattern of departures does make it feel that when it comes to the crunch, Anthem would rather dispose of anyone who has ideas for TNA that require any kind of significant investment or going beyond the existing status quo. Its increasingly evident that the ‘vision’ is TNA bobbing along in a continual holding pattern and producing cheap-ish content. But its incredibly hard to support a company of TNA’s size when you get the feeling that the powers that be have no real interest in growing either. What kept me with TNA between 2017-2023 was that, yes babysteps growth, but knowing Scotf D’amore was trying to create something. Now that vision is gone I fear that spark has gone too. Its pointless signing guys like Nic Nemeth if everything else surrounding the company is going to remain stagnant. Edited June 3, 2024 by garynysmon Quote
The Gaffer Posted June 15, 2024 Posted June 15, 2024 Jeff's back. We all looking forward to Bound for Glory being headlined by a wibbly-wobbly transcendental falls-count-only-in-your-mind match? Quote
Snitsky's back acne Posted June 15, 2024 Posted June 15, 2024 Did I see that Reby Hardy recently guillotined someone's head off and one of her children turned Eddie Edwards into a werewolf or has my dealer been putting acid in my stash again? Quote
Paid Members garynysmon Posted July 14, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted July 14, 2024 Get the Hawk Tuah girl to referee the Kushida v Gresham rematch. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted July 14, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 14, 2024 @garynysmon I think you've mentioned before that you only really watch TNA. Just wondered how are you finding the NXT cross-overs? Is it exciting or alienating and do they do a good job of explaining who the NXT lot are? Quote
Paid Members garynysmon Posted July 14, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted July 14, 2024 (edited) 4 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said: @garynysmon I think you've mentioned before that you only really watch TNA. Just wondered how are you finding the NXT cross-overs? Is it exciting or alienating and do they do a good job of explaining who the NXT lot are? I’ll be honest, I haven’t watched an episode in weeks. That’s not really an inditement on the product though, I just have waves of watching wrestling and not watching any at all. Just been caught up with the General Election and other stuff atm. I will watch Slammiversary though, TNA selling out a 4,000 seat building will be a very interesting visual dynamic (and one I’m not used to at all!). I do still listen to a few TNA podcasts though and the NXT exposure has really helped ticket sales over recent weeks. I don’t imagine its hurt TNA + subscriptions either. That said, you’d have to be pretty naïve to think that this won’t end up with WWE signing every TNA talent they want when their deals are up. TNA has (I hope) taken this into the equation when enterting into this partnership. There are definately parallels here with New Japan losing all of their stars once they got a taste of AEW. Really can’t imagine Jordynne Grace and Joe Hendry, for example, won’t have noticed a major upsurge in social media engagement since appearing on a much more watched show and feeling they wouldn’t mind a bit of a that on a permanent basis. Edited July 14, 2024 by garynysmon Quote
Paid Members Nick James Posted July 15, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 15, 2024 I think I read that TNA revised Graces contract to expire in Jan 2024 rather than later in the year which, considering her constant posting about WWE on social media, can only mean to sign with NXT. I've seen a lot of comments about the deal being very one sided with WWE sending their more 'unknown' talent, which is half true, whilst they aren't sending Trick, Perez etc as of yet, Izzi Dame and Tatum Paxley are at least NXT regulars. You've got to imagine it will have drawn more eyes to TNA than previously, not so much to see the NXT talent, but more for who might show up. The issue is that TNA tape in blocks and the spoilers are out there so other than the PPVs, there isn't much excitement with it not being live. Quote
The Dart Posted July 15, 2024 Posted July 15, 2024 20 hours ago, garynysmon said: That said, you’d have to be pretty naïve to think that this won’t end up with WWE signing every TNA talent they want when their deals are up. TNA has (I hope) taken this into the equation when enterting into this partnership. This would happen even without the partnership though. If that talent wants to go to WWE and WWE wants them, then they're going to go whether WWE and TNA are working together or not. It's a fairly good deal for TNA. It's getting their name and logo on a show which is viewed by probably at least 10x as many people as their own show. Long term, it'll do nothing for them, but as a short term thing, it'll be OK. Quote
poetofthedeed Posted July 21, 2024 Posted July 21, 2024 Spoiler Dolph Ziggler, TNA champion....... That's the most 2014 sentence I'll ever write. Quote
Paid Members Nick James Posted July 21, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 21, 2024 LOLTNA indeed. Just when they get some momentum with an open goal in front of them, they take the shot and miss the goal by so far, the ball ends up in 2014. Fuck sake. Quote
Paid Members garynysmon Posted July 21, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted July 21, 2024 (edited) 22 minutes ago, Nick James said: LOLTNA indeed. Just when they get some momentum with an open goal in front of them, they take the shot and miss the goal by so far, the ball ends up in 2014. Fuck sake. Why? Nic Nemeth has been a real team player since signing. He’s been revitalised since the change of scene and I have no qualms with it. He’s been there since January, they didn’t put the title on him right away. With talk of Bound for Glory being in the UK then if you’re referring to Joe Hendry now was clearly not the time. Great looking crowd btw. A 4,000 seat legit sell-out is big for TNA. Edited July 21, 2024 by garynysmon Quote
Paid Members Nick James Posted July 21, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 21, 2024 (edited) They should have struck while the iron was hot. There's not many bigger names than Hendry right now, he's everywhere. On podcasts, radio shows, everywhere you look, getting great reactions in NXT, he seems to be there. I would think yes, clearly now IS the time. Anyway, that aside, the show looked great. Had a real old school TNA feel to it plus the a large crpwd was great to see. Hopefully this isn't a false dawn and is onwards and upwards, they've got a decent buzz going at the moment. Edited July 21, 2024 by Nick James Quote
westlondonmist Posted July 21, 2024 Posted July 21, 2024 Hendry got to pin Moose, so although losing I think he got a fairly big pin. I think it would have been strange him moving up the card so quickly, give him a couple of big pins then give him the title at Bound for Glory. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.