TNA… Cross the Line again

garynysmon

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I haven't watched much wrestling at all for a few months now, which includes TNA. 

In all honesty the product has felt stone cold for a few months now, which is quite shameful really, given that they came out from Hard to Kill with quite a lot of buzz.

That said, the Rebellion card is looking pretty good and after a bit of a break I'm quite looking forward to watching it.

While they're going back to the Palms at Vegas a little too soon, at least you know it'll be a four figure crowd in a decent, well lit arena in a pretty hot atmosphere.

You may have spoken to soon,

that’s not good. I hope they get a lot of walk ups.

Vegas is a bit different for tickets unless you're a top drawer like a huge celeb singer, UFC, WWE etc. A lot of it will rely on old tactics like papering the town in the hope visitors take a fancy to your show and come along or book late on as something to do. I'd also expect that figure to go up a bit for tonight and 1000 seems reasonable. 

• Paid Members

Odd market indeed. Never forget, we’re talking about the state where they did Mania in a car park.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, air_raid said:

Odd market indeed. Never forget, we’re talking about the state where they did Mania in a car park.

On my first visit to Vegas in 2012 I actually had a snoop around Caesar’s looking for the “arena”. I didn’t realise it had long been built upon.

Heartbreaking…

I’ve not seen Leon Slater wrestle on a US-held TNA show yet, but he’s on the preshow tonight. 

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I’m fine with Matt Hardy, its fucking Sami Callihan being back that annoys me…Useless waste of space.

Steve Maclin’s staying, Santana should shine here and Matt Hardy should be a laugh.

More positives than negatives I’d say.

The production has been rough on some of the recent shows, which is really off-putting. But Rebellion looked great.

IMG_9984.jpeg

Edited by garynysmon

1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

Steve Maclin’s staying

Is he definitely signed up? The fact he lost made me wonder if it was a farewell appearance of sorts, ahead of moving elsewhere. If they have re-signed him, what a miss for WWE. AEW too, though they don’t really need him.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Is he definitely signed up?

Tom Hannifan certainly made it seem so on commentary.

Having been through the WWE system for so long and knowing what its like to sit in catering, I can certainly see why Maclin would want to stick around.

Knowing he’ll always be featured in some way shape or form, as long as the money’s decent and a revolving door of new talent to work with, I can see why TNA would be a decent gig for a bloke of his standing/ability.

TNA’s like rolling 3 on a dice isn’t it? No its not the notoriety or exposure of being a WWE (or to a lesser degree AEW) wrestler, but on the flipside you could be working for NWA or MLW which is further down again on the totem pole. 

MLW had a big show last night too, but you’d never have known it.

Nic Nemeth has been very open about how much he enjoys being in TNA, certainly far and above what you’d expect someone to say about their promotion of employment at any given time. That counts for a lot when you’re at a certain stage of your career.

On Matt Hardy, yeah I can certainly see why some would roll their eyes. But Broken Matt is about the only incarnation of MH I can see being watchable in 2024.

In an environment where he’ll be given the creative freedom he needs for a character like that to work, I can see it being good for a giggle.

Plus, while Santana would be the ‘best’ signing according to many, the Matt Hardy one is by far the most viewed video published by TNA from the show.

He’s not really there to provide ‘banger’ matches is he? There are plenty of others on the card able to do that, its all about a mixed television show.

But I accept personally, as someone who has always detested the original ROH and any ‘workrate’ fetish, its not going to appeal to everyone the same way.

Edited by garynysmon

Santana isn't exactly known as a super worker himself, the reason why so many view him as a great signing is because the the fire, character and that rare aura of legitimacy he shown in AEW during the short-ish time he was put on TV. I think all that time away might have hurt things a tad, how long was he actually off TV?

But yeah as much as I'm not a Matt fan there's definitely something there still that people will tune in for.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

@garynysmon If I'm not mistaken you watch as much  AEW as I watch TNA (social Media clips, you Tube bits). If so I can see your stance on Matt Hardy. But he has been a drain on AEW for a while, briefly refreshed when Jeff jumped over. But when he first joined in 2020 he was given plenty of freedom, firstly being broken, then having/funding his own stable. Both got stale rather quickly. Personally without Jeff and doing the Hardy reunion, I don't know what he adds to any promotion. I hope he is entertaining enough for you in TNA, especially if they are going to give him a big push.