TNA… Cross the Line again

garynysmon

• Paid Members

I forget who it was but at the time of the Hit Row return to WWE, someone described Top Dolla's in ring style as "like the dad character in a 90s sitcom stepping in the ring in the wrestling boom cash-in episode", and it was wonderfully apt. 

I guess Joe Hendry agrees. 

15 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don't watch TNA, but based on your video above I went down a rabbit hole and now I think I believe in Joe Hendry. Who is this man? Is he any good?

Not to answer for @garynysmon, but I think he’s brilliant. He has a gimmick and character that is easy to understand and would fit comfortably on either WWE or AEW television, and while he’s not spectacular in ring, he’s decent. But he more than compensates for that with his charisma. Wrestling should be fun, and that’s exactly what Joe Hendry is. His gimmick probably has a shelf life, but that’s fine. There’s nothing wrong with getting the most out of a wrestler before they run out of steam. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Not to answer for @garynysmon, but I think he’s brilliant. He has a gimmick and character that is easy to understand and would fit comfortably on either WWE or AEW television, and while he’s not spectacular in ring, he’s decent. But he more than compensates for that with his charisma. Wrestling should be fun, and that’s exactly what Joe Hendry is. His gimmick probably has a shelf life, but that’s fine. There’s nothing wrong with getting the most out of a wrestler before they run out of steam. 

Pretty much!

He was great fun on the UK Indies and came out with some right bangers based on popular songs. There's no way TNA is paying for any licensed music so that hurts his act a little bit, but he's great.

My favourite TNA creation of his was this little ditty.

10 hours ago, garynysmon said:

He was great fun on the UK Indies and came out with some right bangers based on popular songs. There's no way TNA is paying for any licensed music so that hurts his act a little bit, but he's great.

I'm not completely clear on how this works in the US, but wouldn't laws surrounding parody protect him?

Regardless, if he were to be snapped up by WWE, he could probably base at least a portion of his parodies on their massive library of theme songs - things they already own the rights to. 

Given that he was with ROH when Tony Khan bought it, I assume he would be under the AEW banner if Khan actually wanted him; so presumably he doesn't. Given how bloated the AEW roster is, I don't think he'd be a good fit there anyway; particularly when you consider how they've underutilised other comedy acts such as Danhausen. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I don’t know if he’s paid some big bucks to push his stuff recently, but yeah. I’ve gone from not even knowing who Joe Hendry is, to fully believing in him. He’s all over my socials. Feel like every other post on my For You page is his cheeky grin spinning into shot. Catchiest entrance music ever.

Get this lad in AEW!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
Just now, The King of Old School said:

Why?! Or is it folk taking themselves too seriously again?

I think Scotty's issue was that he entered before Joe, so just had to stand in the ring and take the insult, when if he'd known the song ahead of time he would have insisted on coming out second so he could act fired up and annoyed by it. 

Just now, BomberPat said:

I think Scotty's issue was that he entered before Joe, so just had to stand in the ring and take the insult, when if he'd known the song ahead of time he would have insisted on coming out second so he could act fired up and annoyed by it. 

Yeah fair enough, thought while watching it that Scotty looked a bit of a mug just standing there taking it.

• Paid Members

I haven't watched much wrestling at all for a few months now, which includes TNA. 

In all honesty the product has felt stone cold for a few months now, which is quite shameful really, given that they came out from Hard to Kill with quite a lot of buzz.

That said, the Rebellion card is looking pretty good and after a bit of a break I'm quite looking forward to watching it.

While they're going back to the Palms at Vegas a little too soon, at least you know it'll be a four figure crowd in a decent, well lit arena in a pretty hot atmosphere.

Singles Match: Rich Swann (w/AJ Francis) vs. Joe Hendry

Last Man Standing Match: Josh Alexander vs. Hammerstone

Full Metal Mayhem Match: Frankie Kazarian vs. Eric Young

TNA X-Division Title Match: Mustafa Ali (c) vs. Jake Something

TNA World Tag Team Title Match: The System (Brian Myers & Eddie Edwards) (c) vs. Speedball Mountain (Mike Bailey & Trent Seven)

TNA Knockouts World Title Match: Jordynne Grace (c) vs. Steph De Lander (w/Matt Cardona)

TNA World Title Match: Moose (c) vs. Nic Nemeth