• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Is Jay White another one of those "good in Japan" types?

I've never seen him in Japan, but he impressed me in AEW last year when he was around for a few months. 

How were the 'four pillars' originally established as a thing?

Feels like its booked them into a corner long-term where they have to pretend these lads are all can't miss prospects. When they're all a bit shit aside from MJF. And is the average height about 5'7" among the four of them?

30 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Were they not the first 4 signings who weren’t from other companies people have heard of? It’s like their version of the originals.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

15 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Feels like its booked them into a corner long-term where they have to pretend these lads are all can't miss prospects. When they're all a bit shit aside from MJF. And is the average height about 5'7" among the four of them?

It was an internet thing. In the same way people were looking at Jericho-Mox-Omega-Hangman-Cody as the rough lineage over the World Title. MJF, Darby, Jungle Boy, and Sammy were seen as the next generation. AEW's young lions if you will.

A kind of approach lifted from Japan where there became the notion of generations after the 3 Musketeers and every bunch of prospects since have been forced into the same idea. Where the hope is that these young rivals will one day graduate into main event level rivalries.

I don't think anyone considered them can't miss prospects though. Besides maybe MJF.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

It was an internet thing. In the same way people were looking at Jericho-Mox-Omega-Hangman-Cody as the rough lineage over the World Title. MJF, Darby, Jungle Boy, and Sammy were seen as the next generation. AEW's young lions if you will.

Did that come before the promo on TV a few years ago where they named them as "pillars"? It didn't feel very organic at the time. 

16 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Did that come before the promo on TV a few years ago where they named them as "pillars"? It didn't feel very organic at the time. 

If I remember right it is it this promo from the MJF Darby feud?

That's September 2021

Just searching twitter for MJF Darby Jungle Boy Sammy Pillars found tweets from May 2020.

Different search variations might find something earlier. Pillars isn't exactly a new concept. It's a bit like picking a Mount Rushmore. The idea comes from AJPW's 4 Pillars of Heaven (Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, Taue).

Largely have Cody to thank for showcasing most of them to set them apart from say Kip Sabian. Early on he did the time-limit draw with Darby, 1st Dynamite match with Sammy, and had the friendship with MJF. While Jungle Boy was the poster child for AEW in the promotional blitz. 

4 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

It's a bit like picking a Mount Rushmore. The idea comes from AJPW's 4 Pillars of Heaven (Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, Taue).

Aye those four names don't invite flattering comparisons with the AEW pillars.

I think any one of them would have been fine in a more varied quartet, but four physically diminutive white lads? Three of whom have similar flippy styles and can't speak? Just doesn't work as a combo for me. Especially when you have other superior youngsters like Hobbs, Hook, Takeshita knocking about.

• Paid Members

Super late watching this show, so apologies if these takes are ice cold.

That opening segment was one of the worst things in company history. The only thing I can think of that was as bad or worse than this is Saraya’s return promo. Just a car crash. Genuinely difficult to watch. The sense of relief when MJF’s music hit and put us out of our misery was palpable.

God knows what they were thinking scripting this. It’s not like each guy’s limitations are a secret. All three guys barely made it out of there alive last time, with much better material, so the last thing you’d lump on them is long, droning monologues, filled with lame insults and shitty insider references. Just awful. A potential PPV main event and you’re watching everyone’s stock plummet in real time.

I fucking hate the tournament thing, too. First, the way in which MJF’s character seemingly has a hand in dictating this stuff wrecks my head. I hate that TNA approach, where Champions somehow have this imaginary,  never-defined, “control,” over things. “Once I win the belts, I’ll have all the power.” What the fuck are you talking about?! Secondly, if the plan was always to eventually do a one-on-one at Double or Nothing, then why not do some type of Round Robin? Maybe with a home and away match? Seems the perfect way to get the same result, fill TV time with great matches, and avoid Darby Allin looking like an absolute whopper celebrating his bye.

Ultimately though, they should’ve just done the Four Way. It was building perfectly! Why has everything suddenly pivoted to shit? Is someone suspended? Has someone punched Sammy again?! The whole thing feels off out of nowhere, like something has happened backstage that we’ll read about in six months. I’m not saying CM Punk is somehow to blame, but this weird sense of tension, and constant tournaments? This was exactly what AEW television felt like last time he was here!

I’m convinced Punk returning is the reason they suddenly put the TNT Title back on Wardlow, too. Will Hobbs is a CM Punk guy, isn’t he? This felt like a sudden change of plans for Powerhouse to move into the Saturday Night Punkyverse. I won’t complain though. Wardlow is one of my guys, so any attempt to re-heat him is always welcome. The hard work starts now. They’ve got a few months to get him ready for the Goldberg match at Wembley!

A final thing on CM Punk from this show; I don’t think him returning is a good thing for this company, and I think Dax Harwood is a moron, but the wonky way they incorporated them running down a tiny corridor like they’re in Scooby Doo, just so they could run past a massive Pepsi can machine? You’ve got to respect that level of dedication to an Easter egg. Fair play. Maybe they can all find some common ground with The Elite over their love of a cheeky nod.

Solid angle with Adam Cole, Jericho and Britt. Shame the cuffs were so obviously not attached to the ropes. Christian in the Casket match aside, this company continues to have horrible luck with props. 

Really surprised people have chosen this match to complain about Komander. Previously, he’s been an absolute One Flip Wonder, but here? I thought it was his best performance thus far. Made Jay White look good and was at least trying other stuff. I swear in that Guevara match all he did was run the ropes and try a Shooting Star Press. Rinse and repeat. I’ll be excited about the inevitable Komander vs. Fenix match but beyond that, I’d rather Bandido was being given this TV time.

Fun, action-packed main event, but who cares after that opening segment? Tournament of Losers. Bunch of geeks reciting bad, fake promos. Hopefully they go to a Double DQ next week and Eddie Kingston takes the spot instead.  

Best thing on the show was the Elite’s brawl with the Blackpool Combat Club. Kenny’s confident mic work was a stark contrast to the rabbits in the headlights during the opening segment, Danielson finally getting his douchebag jacket to complete the set was great, Nick Jackson going nuts was amazing and the twist with Takeshita was inspired. Argh! So close to a fully formed Elite! I can almost taste it! I can’t wait for Hangman’s return as Snake Plissken. That’s the kicker between WWE and AEW. WWE will edge you for years on end without giving you some relief, whereas I could bet my house on the inevitable Anarchy in the Arena match with Hangman, Kenny and the Bucks in matching gear. Hell yeah. Can’t wait. Jog on, Cody. You’ll probably lose to Brock anyway.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

I had this mad dream last night that Chris Hero turned up on the next dynamite and became 5th member of bcc 

Sounds more like a nightmare to me.