Sasha Banks to NJPW? Or to AEW? Or back to WWE?

mim731

• Paid Members

So the source isn't necessarily 100% reliable, but it's an interesting place to kick off a discussion about Banks inevitably turning up somewhere. Will she make any difference to WWE or NJPW or AEW? Is Banks a needle mover at this stage or will it be more of the same? 

For me, beyond the initial novelty of match on an NJPW show, I can't help but think she'd be best off in WWE. I'm not sure her style suits AEW and I suspect she'd get lost in the shuffle there very quickly. But perhaps she wouldn't, and an AEW move would certainly generate some fresh programmes. It's very hard to say. She's undoubtedly a big star with other projects on the go, and that could be a huge boon for AEW in terms of public perception. 

Thoughts?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, mim731 said:
I'm not sure her style suits AEW and I suspect she'd get lost in the shuffle there very quickly.

She’d be perfect for AEW if she gets lost in the shuffle. 95% of the roster is lost in the shuffle.

She’s a much bigger star than any of their current female talent though, so I really doubt she’d get lost in the shuffle.

She’s headlined Wrestlemanias, been in Star Wars, and been arguably WWE’s top star on occasions. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Loki said:

She’s a much bigger star than any of their current female talent though, so I really doubt she’d get lost in the shuffle.

She’s headlined Wrestlemanias, been in Star Wars, and been arguably WWE’s top star on occasions. 

You can be the biggest star imaginable, but if the booking is shit, it'll be shit. Once the inevitable starter feud everyone gets with Britt is done, where then? Overthrow Jade, then what?

Sasha to AEW will be a footnote within 6 months of her arriving, before she goes the same way as all the others.

Bookmark this post, because I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Nick James

Aew need her to come in and want to be headlining shows as doesn’t seem like the women there are great at politicking for that spot. If she’s wresting for new Japan first as their woman champion and following the mox route, that’s gonna be big for new Japan in the states especially if she’s in series 3 of mandilorian  

AEW's womens division is a constant mess but its not down to lack of talent. They have plenty. So looking at bringing Sasha in to "fix things" really isn't the right move.

That's not to say she wouldn't be a good signing but she shouldn't be seen as some sort of saviour. That's not going to fix their deeper and more long running issues.

3 minutes ago, RalphyV2 said:

She wouid be a great draw but I think anyone having her as a suprise and not advertising it and getting some buys out of it would be very stupid. She is one of my all time female favourites. I feel AEW womens division isn't a patch on the WWE one, although I still enjoy it

It might be more than contractually she can't be advertised until the new year. Chat from Fightful is that WrestleCade tried to book her. Just for an appearance. Something that she's done a few times this year already. Was looking good to go initially and then were told nothing wrestling related until the New Year.

8 minutes ago, RalphyV2 said:

In which case I would simply wait until they can advertise her, build up the debut. So on the day they can get a ppv buy or a big ratings number, sell lots of merchandise and the fans can bring signs to really heighten the debut

Do you remember the First Dance? Forget how things would end a year later. AEW sold out an NBA arena on a rumour and got a rating on Rampage that's never likely to be touched in the Friday night slot.

For NJPW/Stardom doing it at the Tokyo Dome is how they can afford it and maximise exposure. For AEW, If that's what's happening. They're already in the process of hyping a surprise debut a month in advance and will have nearly two weeks to sell it specifically.

2 hours ago, Louch said:

Aew need her to come in and want to be headlining shows as doesn’t seem like the women there are great at politicking for that spot. If she’s wresting for new Japan first as their woman champion and following the mox route, that’s gonna be big for new Japan in the states especially if she’s in series 3 of mandilorian  

Perhaps someone who’s more into the whole “extended universe” of Star Wars could will correct me (I’m fairly fair weather compared to some fans) and I get that The Mandalorian is a huge show, but people talk about her as if she’s some integral character when she really wasn’t, her character was one of at least two sidekicks to someone else. From what I remember they didn’t even seem to trust her with many lines in the first of the two episodes she was in. She probably had about 10 lines in the whole of her run on the show. 
Besides, every man and his Dog gets to be in Star Wars these days. Even Forum favourite Trevor Morgan from Eastenders turned up in Andor this year

Kairi Vs Tam Nakano for the IWGP Women’s title takes place at Wrestle Kingdom, she could possibly come in to take the belt off the winner?  They want the women’s belt to be defended on the American shows quite often, she’d be the perfect champion for that.

Has there been anything from NJPW confirming and if so is she referred to as Sasha or is she Mercedes?

Presumably if shes Sasha then it's all been authorised by WWE and she hasn't left/isnt a free agent?

Apologies if I've missed something.

Edited by rollthedice