Best Christmas TV Specials

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

Finishing putting up the decorations yesterday and wanted something appropriate on the telly. Digging through the streams and settled on the Mr Bean Christmas special. It has everything, panicked shopping, child abuse, turkey malarkey. Excellent. 

I then of course followed it with Bottom's Holy which is gold standard and endlessly quotable. 

I finished with a festive Bob's Full House which didn't quite hit the mark. The endless stream of wife jokes felt their age. 

Best Christmas TV specials that give you fuzzy feelings then? 

Obviously Bottom is the best, essentially viewing every year, aside from that I always watch the League of Gentlemen Christmas Special every Christmas Eve after the kids have gone to bed, usually timed to be followed by the years Ghost Story for Christmas, before Gatiss brought it back I usually followed League with The Signalman, but during three two weeks leading up I'll watch most of the classics (A Warning to the Curious, Whistle & I'll Come to you, Treasure of Abbott Thomas etc)

Obviously Father Ted needs to be viewed, as does Blackadder, just so I can get annoyed that the "nail up the dog" version seems to be omitted from most versions you can get hold of. A recent addition to my Christmas viewing list is A Very Murray Christmas which just gets funnier every year, especially the singing. 

Oh and Happy Holidays! with Frank and Bing is another one I have to watch on my own because nobody else in the house will even though for me it's about the most Christmassy thing ever. 

• Awards Moderator

Knowing Me, Knowing Yule is top tier telly. Partridge’s mental collapse unravelling throughout and finally peaking at the end is perfectly executed.

Realising Glen Ponder is gay, threatening make-believe burglars, losing his cool with the innuendo-heavy chef, his trip to the shops and the turkey becoming a boxing glove. Non-stop brilliance.

• Paid Members

1 minute ago, Harry Wiseau said:

How did I forget this? I signed up guy a free trial to britbox last year loft l just to watch it, I felt dirty for the britbox thing but the lads made it worth it.

It's almost unique for me in feeling legitimately like you're in their house/local. Most of these kind of shows couldn't feel more like it's a set in a studio.

• Paid Members

Apart from the Gone Wrong one (never seen it but have seen other stuff they have done and hate them nearly as much as Phil Collins), all the above!  Watched the Guardians of the Galaxy one last night, great fun.

• Paid Members

I don't think anything encapsulates the warm fuzzy feeling of Christmas as a kid, than watching the Mr Bean Christmas Special. It just takes me back to sitting on the floor of my nan's living room, laughing my head off to Baby Jesus being airlifted to safety while tucking into a tin of Danish Butter Cookies. 

Holy is a fantastic second place, just stupidly fun throughout, again, with that added sprinkling of nostalgia. 

Cheating a little as it's not Christmas, but the Still Game Hogmanay Special with them all trapped in the lift reminiscing about the party in the 70s is always one I'd opt for.

Edited by Nick James

8 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Mr Bean Christmas special. It has everything, panicked shopping, child abuse, turkey malarkey. Excellent.

2 hours ago, Nick James said:

I don't think anything encapsulates the warm fuzzy feeling of Christmas as a kid, than watching the Mr Bean Christmas Special.

Don't mean to ruin it for anyone but this is my favourite too.

Simply having Woolworths in the background makes it Atkinson's most poignant work since Blackadder Goes Forth.

4 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Ooh thanks for the reminder! "OK google, add DANISH BUTTER COOKIES to the shopping list" 

The Food Warehouse do a big tin for a fiver! Already ate two tins worth and broke the “THATS THE CHRISTMAS FOOD” code. 

• Paid Members

Charlie’s assault on Santa in It’s Always Sunny has become essential Christmas viewing over the last decade or so. Frank stitching himself into a sofa, Bonnie Kelly being a god damned hoooooooor getting battered by a never ending train of Santa’s, Mac’s childhood Christmas traditions with his old man robbing everyone blind and the heel turn at the end by Frank’s old business partner. 

What an episode. 

5C5D8AEC-9700-4E8B-9F54-F8F648C42D3A.jpeg