Best Christmas TV Specials

Onyx2

• Paid Members
On 12/4/2022 at 12:18 PM, Thunderplex said:

Watched the Guardians of the Galaxy one last night, great fun.

Big Dave was boss as usual. If @Devon Malcolmcan get through his hatred for all things Marvel, 45 mins of Dave and Pom Klementieff bickering is a winner.

Knowing Me Knowing Yule, Black Mirror's White Christmas, Mr Hanky, The Office (UK) Christmas specials and Father Ted are ones I must watch every year. Usually when wrapping the presents, to take the focus away from my knees dying a slow death due to said wrapping.

Did I make this up, or back in the mid 90s Sky's big Xmas Day special was always Cliff Richard playing tennis with some celebrities? I'll be honest, I'd be up for that these days. 

Edited by PunkStep

I'm not sure it's on topic or not but apparently there is a huge tradition across Northern Europe of watching an old British music hall sketch called "Dinner for one" on Christmas Eve.

I tried to get the family to start doing this but it died out after about three years as Just Some Girl found Freddie Frinton who plays the butler in the sketch to be exceptionally creepy.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it I'd recommend watching it once out of interest but it probably shouldn't take the place of any aforementioned shows in the thread.

Not sure whether the criteria here denotes it must be a Christmas themed episode of an otherwise ordinary TV show or whether stand alone TV specials created for Christmas qualify.

For Christmas themed episodes I'd reccomend How Not To Live Your Life's Christmas special. It's became part of my yearly viewing ever since I first saw it. 

For stand alone TV specials then one called The Greatest Store In The World. Fond memories of my brother and I randomly watching it Christmas Eve in the late 90s. The plot centers around a Mum and her two kids being made homeless around Christmas and moving into a department store. Reccomended. 

• Paid Members

A recent stand-alone Christmas special I really enjoyed is Click & Collect with Stephen Merchant and Asim Chaudhry. Watching that has become a bit of an Xmas tradition these last few years.

Imagine a British Jingle All The Way with Stephen Merchant in the Arnie role and you're not far off. 

11 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

I'm not sure it's on topic or not but apparently there is a huge tradition across Northern Europe of watching an old British music hall sketch called "Dinner for one" on Christmas Eve.

I tried to get the family to start doing this but it died out after about three years as Just Some Girl found Freddie Frinton who plays the butler in the sketch to be exceptionally creepy.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it I'd recommend watching it once out of interest but it probably shouldn't take the place of any aforementioned shows in the thread.

That's a New Year's Eve tradition, not a Christmas Eve one, but it's still worth digging up that sketch if anyone hasn't seen it (or at least hasn't watched it in a while). 

Plus the 31st of December is technically the seventh day of Christmas so it still counts. 

8 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

For stand alone TV specials then one called The Greatest Store In The World. Fond memories of my brother and I randomly watching it Christmas Eve in the late 90s. The plot centers around a Mum and her two kids being made homeless around Christmas and moving into a department store. Reccomended. 

Was that the one with Sean Hughes and Dervla Kirwan? If so, then it was excellent and I've not seen it repeated for years 

Although it's not set at Christmas, The Royle Family: The Queen of Sheba that aired as a Christmas special is sensational. Incredibly written, straddling the line between sadness and humour that surrounds bereavement. Such an amazing cast they had for that show in general but they're all at top, top form here. 

1 hour ago, MungoChutney said:

Although it's not set at Christmas, The Royle Family: The Queen of Sheba that aired as a Christmas special is sensational.

I'm gonna be pedantic, but it actually aired end of October. However, it has come to be seen as a Christmas special, which means it counts

I don't think anyone has mentioned the actual The Royle Family Christmas episodes yet have they?

The one where Jim thinks he has fuck all to open and then gets Sky at the end is brilliant, as they all are, although when I rewatched the whole lot the last time, I really despised his character.

Maybe I was just going through something at the time. Will probably run through it again soon.

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the actual The Royle Family Christmas episodes yet have they?

The one where Jim thinks he has fuck all to open and then gets Sky at the end is brilliant, as they all are, although when I rewatched the whole lot the last time, I really despised his character.

Maybe I was just going through something at the time. Will probably run through it again soon.

I think this is one the best things about their writing. There are points Jim seems like an unredeemable prick, but they always seem to show enough of his other, quite insecure, side to have you rooting for him. 

1 hour ago, MungoChutney said:

I think this is one the best things about their writing. There are points Jim seems like an unredeemable prick, but they always seem to show enough of his other, quite insecure, side to have you rooting for him. 

Don't get me wrong, I love an unredeemable prick but most of the last watch just really got to me that's all. He was just so nasty.

Still blubbed like a baby when he tells a menopausal Barb that they'll get through it together though.

Edited by SuperBacon