Best Christmas TV Specials

Onyx2

It's a Christmas special even though the content isn't particularly Christmassy but I watch the Only Fools and Horses episode "Time On Our Hands" around this time every year. I've soured on a lot of the rest of the show but there's something about "Our House" by Crosby stills and Nash playing as Uncle Albert waves from his new boat that makes me well up every time.

14 hours ago, Wretch said:

Charlie’s assault on Santa in It’s Always Sunny has become essential Christmas viewing over the last decade or so. Frank stitching himself into a sofa, Bonnie Kelly being a god damned hoooooooor getting battered by a never ending train of Santa’s, Mac’s childhood Christmas traditions with his old man robbing everyone blind and the heel turn at the end by Frank’s old business partner. 

What an episode. 

5C5D8AEC-9700-4E8B-9F54-F8F648C42D3A.jpeg

What I love about this is just how shocking (and funny) it felt to 

Spoiler

Hear Charlie swear the first time as I am 99.9% sure up until that point there was no swearing on the show. Spoilered in case someone wanted to go in cold.

His sad, desperate face as he asks Santa over and over 😂

• Paid Members

Without repeating what other people have already said, I love watching the Quantum Leap episode where Dr Beckett effectively recreates a Christmas Carol to prevent the Blake Plaza being built by the dad from Hocus Pocus, in every small detail such as trying to sway him with Pierniki as a taste of his upbringing, to Al dressing down because its July back in (LOL) 1999. Al humouring Dr Beckett with "Merry Christmas, Sam" at the end always makes me well up.

Conversely, not to mispost what should go in Minor Annoyances, I watched the Guardians Holiday Special yesterday and I can't believe in 2022 I'm still occasionally forced to hear the fucking Wombats.

14 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Echo the love for Bean, Blackadder and Ted, must watches every year for me

It's Ireland's biggest lingerie section, I understand.

Just remembered there is a brilliant Spongebob Xmas special, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, where Plankton tries to infect everyone with Jerktonium, so he can get the Krabby Patty secret formula, and then tries to frame Spongebob. 

Genuinely funny, and it came out around the time my eldest was 3ish, so she absolutely loved it and wanted to watch it multiple times a day.

Also features this great song with some sage advice from the main man.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Weezenal said:

Gold look to be almost exclusively Christmas specials at the moment. Saw the end of Two Point Four Children, if you can help it don't make the same mistake.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say 2.4 Children isn't that bad. Cut above other 90s BBC stuff in a similar timeslot. 

Edited by gmoney

14 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I'm going to stick my neck out and say 2.4 Children isn't that bad. Cut about other 90s BBC stuff in a similar timeslot. 

Absolutely. It was definitely one of my favourites as a kid, and it had the lovely Clare Buckfield and Belina Lang.

David was a bit of a dick though.

Looked it up, and completely forgot there was an original Jenny, who apparently went off and married Skeet Ulrich! Poor girl.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, gmoney said:

I'm going to stick my neck out and say 2.4 Children isn't that bad. Cut above other 90s BBC stuff in a similar timeslot. 

You were thinking From May To December when you wrote this.

Still blows my mind that the sister and brother on 2.4 Children’s real life brother and sister were going out with each other on Holyoaks. Used to think they were the same people and though it was so weird.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Not really a "Christmas special", as it's a one-off, but AD/BC: A Rock Opera is absolute required Christmas viewing for me. It's on YouTube in it's entirety, for anyone who hasn't seen it - a Jesus Christ Superstar parody rock opera about the Nativity, from the point of view of the Innkeeper. Absolutely genius, and I find myself laughing at different background details or throwaway lines every time I watch it.

Also, the Dinnerladies Christmas episode is a great bit of telly