The Shield - 10 Years Old

Winston

10 years of one of the best modern faction, 3 guys who likely would've made it big in their own right but it gave them the perfect platform to launch their careers.

After many trials and tribulations the 3 of them have really found their groove. The PG era stifled them a lot but so many times they were just badly booked. Roman was their guy from day one but they missed the boat on him early doors when the crowd were into him then nearly completely ruined him. They turned Seth when he wasn't ready for it. They never ever had a clue what to do with Ambrose.

Best Shield memories? Things that should've been different?

The Shield are easily the best modern faction in terms of impact and success. I do slightly disagree with the idea they would have made it regardless, Ambrose in particular i don't think would have ended up WWE Champion if not for the faction, but i agree the PG era did them a poor service, they would have killed it even more in the early 00's.

Their entrance was always so cool, I was in my twenties when they debuted but i could image how a 12 year old me would have reacted to that intro.

I always liked the Rollins heel turn because everyone was convinced it was going to be Ambrose, it's nice when wrestling surprises you in the modern age.

Also seem to recall the crowd going batshit crazy for The Shield v Wyatt Family match, I can't remember the show but I think it was near the start.

Maybe Vince's last great success? 

49 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

The Shield are easily the best modern faction in terms of impact and success. I do slightly disagree with the idea they would have made it regardless, Ambrose in particular i don't think would have ended up WWE Champion if not for the faction

I'm not sure him ending up as WWE Champion is anything worth recognising though. His best work in WWE was probably as part of The Shield.

2 hours ago, theringmaster said:

The Shield are easily the best modern faction in terms of impact and success. I do slightly disagree with the idea they would have made it regardless, Ambrose in particular i don't think would have ended up WWE Champion if not for the faction, but i agree the PG era did them a poor service, they would have killed it even more in the early 00's.

Their entrance was always so cool, I was in my twenties when they debuted but i could image how a 12 year old me would have reacted to that intro.

I always liked the Rollins heel turn because everyone was convinced it was going to be Ambrose, it's nice when wrestling surprises you in the modern age.

Also seem to recall the crowd going batshit crazy for The Shield v Wyatt Family match, I can't remember the show but I think it was near the start.

Maybe Vince's last great success? 

2014 Elimination Chamber. Crowd going this is awesome before Wyatts even entered ring. Should have held it back to WM though for me for first match for a bigger reaction

Edited by Sheffbag

• Awards Moderator

One of my all time favourite teams. They absolutely carried WWE through 2013. The way they were all so different but worked so well as a unit, their unpredictability, the reliability that you knew you'd get something great from a Shield six-man tag... even then, they could have gone further. Imagine if they'd written the 2014 Royal Rumble to have the three of them work together throughout and win it for Roman. It was a brief run by modern standards but a real bright light for the WWE of a decade ago. A reunion is so unlikely but I'd love it.

I think that's pretty much why they did it, for the added shock value but Rollins at the time was very unnatural in the role.

Didn't quite take to it like The Rock joining The Corporation in 98. They even re-hashed The Stooges with Mercury and Noble playing Patterson and Brisco but everything felt too forced.

Naturally allowing Ambrose to be the 'loose cannon' he was supposed to be and maybe cost Reigns or Rollins their big moment winning a title might've been the way I'd have went.

So much failure to make genuine stars this past decade. There really should've been no need to have the likes ofBrock Lesnar, Undertaker, Edge in so many recent WrestleMania main events. 

• Paid Members

The Shield are easily the best modern faction in terms of impact and success.

When's "modern?" I assume it means "since Evolution" which honed two rookies into two of the three most enduring main event stars of their generation.

My favourite Shield memories were their short lived face turn. The booking of them to beat HHH/Orton/Batista once, then clean sweep them in an eliminator the next month, was an absolute joy and delight. With logic, it's how that feud should have gone, but it was refreshing to see it actually play out like that.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure who they could have replaced him with but The Shield could have been even more dominant and convincing without Dean Ambrose's stupid mugging and ridiculous looking offence. But Rollins and Reigns carried him and made the whole thing work way better than you would expect from any wrestling company these days. They were booked superbly for the most part and their matches were great.

• Paid Members

My favourite faction of all time and easily Vinny Mac’s last hurrah. He never got anywhere near those heights again.

Just three boss, cool lads having endless bangers. They equally had a phenomenal run, yet felt like they’d only scratched the surface on what they could have been as a unit. You could’ve ran with them as babyfaces for at least another year.

Easily one of the best entrances to see live. Seeing them strut through the crowd was so awesome.

How many reunions did they have in the end? Three? Four? It ruled every single time because The Shield were the best.

God, I’d give anything to see then reunite again. Especially considering what Roman and Mox have now become. Seth can be there too.

Spare a thought for my ex who painstakingly researched the seating plan for the O2 for when we went to see Raw or Smackdown and got us aisle seats (bloody expensive as well) as she was convinced they'd come down that aisle.

They broke up a month or so before.

I'm still a bit heartbroken by what Rollins did.

Always blows my mind, with their debut, that Roman was referred to first on commentary considering he’d only been on NXT TV for a few weeks prior to Survivor Series while Seth was the NXT champion at that point so should have been top billing. Even more amazing was the fact that Dean/Mox was only working the house show loop and hadn’t debuted on TV, though they teased that Dusty Rhodes was stopping him doing so because of his out of control nature