RIP Tim White

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Tim White was my favourite referee during the 90's, no idea why other than he looked like a nice fellow. 

The skits with Josh Matthews were mad and for a time I actually thought they were real. What a bizarre thing the internet was in the early 2000's.

Edited by Nick James

I can’t remember where I mentioned this before, but 2 things that always stood out for me with Tim White when I was a kid.

The first was that he would hit the mat so hard, that sometimes it would be mistaken for a 1 count. The only thing that prevented crowds from popping for a finish early more often was:

Him verbalising his count. He was the only WWF referee who did. Whilst the WCW referees noticeably verbalised their pin fall counts, the WWF referees, by and large, did not. But Tim White almost always did, all the way back to the 80’s (see Jake Roberts vs Hercules at Summerslam 88). 

And of course the videos with Josh Matthews in 2004 (I think) could never be conceived these days. 

All of the above helped paint the picture of one of the more memorable referees and characters in my wrestling viewing journey.

RIP Tim White.

• Awards Moderator

Tim White was refereeing back in the days when I could name all the WWE referees and certain matches would be more or less interesting for who reffed them. White took some great ref bumps in his day.

It was such a shame when he got that shoulder injury in the HHH-Jericho Cell match. It served to show that “Hell in a Cell is so dangerous even the referees aren’t safe!!!” but I don’t think he did another match after that.

8 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It served to show that “Hell in a Cell is so dangerous even the referees aren’t safe!!!” but I don’t think he did another match after that.

Weirdly enough, I was convinced this was the case as well, so was shocked to see him turn up at WrestleMania XX! I think he only did a single match on the card (a quick Google after typing this shows it's Christian vs. Chris Jericho) and the Cell match is generally considered to be his 'proper' retirement.

• Paid Members

Was it Tim White who was essentially Andres personal assistant back in the day? Must have been both well liked and trusted. Must have one hell of a book of story's over the years too.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Was it Tim White who was essentially Andres personal assistant back in the day?

It was, yeah. First thing I thought of when I saw this thread was him tearing up over his big buddy passing away alone in a hotel room on the HBO documentary.

I'd therefore like to think that he passed surrounded by loved ones, and that if there is any kind of afterlife he and Andre are gonna enjoy a beer or 45 tonight.

Always liked Tim White, first and foremost he's one of they familiar faces from when I first started watching wrestling, someone who was always there or thereabouts, like The Fink, Hebner etc.

I remember reading he got injured getting thrown into the Cell by Hunter then he re-injured himself doing the final 3 count in his comeback match.

The suicide stuff was just bad taste in my opinion and in the same category as the silly stuff they've put Fink, JR etc through, almost like a punishment for being loyal.

It's nice he's had a bit of presence in recent years talking about Andre, he still tears up when talking about him. Just goes to show what a nice guy Tim was imo. Lots of the current roster have been saying on Twitter how friendly and caring he was too.

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members

Sad to hear.

My prevailing thought when it comes to Tim, other than the dreadful suicide skits and his untimely injury, is how they made the decision to stop referring to the referees ("officials") by name. And by "they", I mean Vince. There were a good few years where Earl, Tim, Mike Chioda, Jimmy Korderas etc would get always get namechecked even if it was just making a 10 count or something. There was nothing intrusive about it or distracting from what the wrestlers were doing, it was just a common sense thing, dating back to Joey Marella, Danny Davis, John Bonello and before. It happens in real sport. You wouldn't watch football without expecting them to say that Mark Clattenburg or whoever had to check with the referees assistant about offside or whatever. There was nothing wrong with it. No, the referees didn't particularly need storylines and any time they did one such as the "strike" in 1999, feuding Earl with Nick Patrick, Tim's suicidal tendancies etc, it was usually WrestleCrap. The Main Event and Earl's sacking and re-appearance at Backlash 2000 aside, making referees integral to the storyline very rarely bore fruit. However, stripping them of their names in favour of "the official" because the viewer "doesn't care about the official's name, GOD DAMN it pal" etc was one of those change for changes sake that only Vince would think about, and I hated. Next to calling them "official" instead of referee. Just pointless. It's another one of those bizarre little changes that started creeping in over the years, especially post-Attitude, that started making WWE a strange, thin, artificial version of something I used to love. Where a hospital is a "local medical facility" and a title belt isn't a belt. Where people talk more about their match "stealing the show" than if they won or lost, where a "WrestleMania moment" is more important than being the champ, and you need a "path" to getting there instead of just winning your matches. Where the refs don't have names because "the WWE Universe" aren't supposed to care about them.

His name was Tim White. Rest in peace, Tim.

Nice tribute from Jericho

"

Very sad to hear of the passing of my friend and biggest @wwe supporter #TimmyWhite!! The last match Timmy ever reffed was @tripleh and I in the #HellInACell in 2002.  He had to take a bump into the cage and get “injured” so the door could be opened, which would allow us to go to the top of the cage for the finish. 
Timmy told me to throw him into the cage as hard as I could, so it looked real.  He took that bump so fuckin hard that he tore out his shoulder and never reffed again. 

I felt awful, but he always said to me “I told u to throw me into the cage hard. You did EXACTLY what I asked u to do. Now let’s go have a beah!” This is one of a hundred stories I could tell about this great man. I will miss him forever. The wrestling biz will never see another man this loyal and this proud to be a part of the business and to be one of the boys. I love you Timmy!  Save a liquor basket raffle ticket for me on the other side. Even though you always seemed to win…. 😊❤️"

1 hour ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Nice tribute from Jericho

"

Very sad to hear of the passing of my friend and biggest @wwe supporter #TimmyWhite!! The last match Timmy ever reffed was @tripleh and I in the #HellInACell in 2002.  He had to take a bump into the cage and get “injured” so the door could be opened, which would allow us to go to the top of the cage for the finish. 
Timmy told me to throw him into the cage as hard as I could, so it looked real.  He took that bump so fuckin hard that he tore out his shoulder and never reffed again. 

I felt awful, but he always said to me “I told u to throw me into the cage hard. You did EXACTLY what I asked u to do. Now let’s go have a beah!” This is one of a hundred stories I could tell about this great man. I will miss him forever. The wrestling biz will never see another man this loyal and this proud to be a part of the business and to be one of the boys. I love you Timmy!  Save a liquor basket raffle ticket for me on the other side. Even though you always seemed to win…. 😊❤️"

You’d think someone that keeps a record of every match he’s ever had wouldn’t overlook a detail like that

Had the pleasure of meeting Tim White in Manchester in like 2008 on some promotional event. Shook his hand, said he had no idea anyone would recognise him over the wrestlers etc. Looked like he ran a pub, delighted it turned out he did and ended up in WWF canon with the APA and those mad fun bar fight skits.