Paige is finally leaving the WWE

The Reverend

Looks like she's finally being let go:

Quite surprised she's still been affiliated with them for so long after her in-ring career stopped. Very surprised too they didn't bring her in for the Cardiff thing (yeah, I know it's Wales but UK, Wales, England - most Americans don't have a clue) and maybe have a send-off there.

She may not have been there long, but she still leaves a bit of a legacy.

Assumed she'd been fired or quit years ago. Shame about the injury, she was just a bit too early for the era of womens wrestling being treated seriously in WWE. She still had to fart around with the dregs like Aksana and co, when she wasn't feuding with AJ.

She was pretty much the first woman in WWE in years that felt like a proper wrestler for me but yeah she came around a little early, didn't have the best dance partners for a while and then the awful injury hit.

Has she spoken about wanting to leave before? I'd imagine WWE not being so keen on letting her go for a while because they had a film made about her after all.

• Paid Members

I never understood why they didn’t give her another on-air position. She was great as Smackdown GM and got unnecessarily lumped in with Corbin when the McMahons had to apologise for all the misery booking and abolished the GM role. How long did that rule even last? It felt like no time at all before Sonya and Adam Pearce were in that position, doing a far inferior job than Paige ever did.

Considering what we’re now seeing with Jeff Hardy, I’m convinced she’ll be wrestling in AEW before the year is over, safe or not.

Turning up in AEW wouldn't shock me. With AEW more into managers and stables there would be on screen opportunities. Wrestling might be an option even as it's not like AEW have the most hectic of schedules.

She has a strong following on Twitch and we've seen how they've put Adam Cole front and centre of their AEW Games efforts since signed.

After working on several shows with her in the past and meeting her a good few times I can say that she is a lovely person and I wish her all the best in whatever or wherever she's goes next. If she does jump back in the ring I just hope and pray she stays safe.

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

I never understood why they didn’t give her another on-air position. She was great as Smackdown GM and got unnecessarily lumped in with Corbin when the McMahons had to apologise for all the misery booking and abolished the GM role. How long did that rule even last? It felt like no time at all before Sonya and Adam Pearce were in that position, doing a far inferior job than Paige ever did.

Considering what we’re now seeing with Jeff Hardy, I’m convinced she’ll be wrestling in AEW before the year is over, safe or not.

I agree, but I wouldn’t put her in the Jeff category.  She’s more like Edge or Bryan - if she can get doctors to okay her neck she should be allowed to have a go.

However, the “safe or not” is spot on, I don’t get the impression that AEW have any structure in place to look after wrestler well-being.

• Paid Members

The weird thing with Paige is that there’s plenty of people who insist that in the ring she was shit. But she had plenty of good matches including one with Natalya, who’s actually rubbish, so I’m not sure how it works. It’s the same as what I mentioned recently in the SmackDown thread with Sasha, people seem to enjoy saying she’s shit. She also had a very good match with Paige, despite them BOTH apparently being shit.

Call it Brit bias or maybe it was because I supported her out of being impressed by that match she dragged out of Nattie Never-was, but I always wanted to see her succeed. I thought that match with the interminably dull AJ Lee at SummerSlam was a great fun 5 minuter, big fan of that Rampaige finish, and LA seemed to approve. Mind you, that SummerSlam I seem to remember as “couldn’t do wrong” regardless.

I was really happy when she came back and gutted when she got hurt again. Hopefully she steers clear of negative influences and has cleaned up the issues that she was said to have, only wrestles again if it’s genuinely safe for her to do so, and finds professional happiness.

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

The weird thing with Paige is that there’s plenty of people who insist that in the ring she was shit. But she had plenty of good matches including one with Natalya, who’s actually rubbish, so I’m not sure how it works. It’s the same as what I mentioned recently in the SmackDown thread with Sasha, people seem to enjoy saying she’s shit. She also had a very good match with Paige, despite them BOTH apparently being shit.

I don’t recall ever thinking that she was shit, but at the same time I didn’t think she was as good as a lot of people made her out to be. 
Coming in after years of the likes of Aksana and Maxine and all the others that were used for pillow fights and all that sort of stuff, it wasn’t hard to be considered better.

She was still way better than AJ Lee though, who had the double whammy of not being as good as people made her out to or as good as she thought she was (see also: Natalya, as you mentioned)

Edited by WyattSheepMask

It's easy to forget just how young Paige was during her run. Perhaps it gets forgotten because she started so young but she was still relatively new to the business especially in terms of the big league TV/arena type performances.  As people have said she missed out on actually having a good roster to work with as she was promoted ahead of Charlotte, Becky, Sasha and Bailey  getting their shit together in NXT and was out injured/ retired by the time more experienced women were about to work with. Given a different hand of cards I'd loved to have seen how she would have developed over the last few years in WWE. Perhaps we'll get to see it somewhere else now.