Renting is fucking shit isn't it?

SuperBacon

So a few months ago, my landlord (commercial property company who own the whole block and hundreds of others) decided to try and put my rent up from £1050 a month to £1400, to which I obviously refused as that's too much for what I earn and what the flat is.

I live in a fairly decent location (but above a commercial property-butchers and dry cleaners) and whilst I understand that this is the market rent for a 2 bed in my area, that would be more akin to a 2 bed in say, a gated community. I've actually complained about excessive noise from downstairs for two and a half years and nothing has ever been done about it also.

So anyway long story short, they served me with a Section 21 notice as they want to get what they think the flat is worth and because I couldn't find anywhere else (I'm actually completely moving away but my job for now is still here so I'm slightly stuck) I told them that I wasn't moving as I wasn't going to make myself intentionally homeless. That was end of March. They also made multiple mistakes on the notice which could invalidate it. (I did take advice on all this don't worry, I'm not a complete mentalist)

They threatened me by saying that by "refusing to leave" this could hinder me renting privately in the future (I'm bolloxed anyway by having bad credit through no fault of my own) and so I said we have a couple of options then. They either let me decide when I want to move and we agree a date, and let me find somewhere else, or they go down the length legal route of trying to get a notice of seeking possession, which surely neither of us wants. Or they can resubmit the notice with everything correct, but even then I don't have to leave when it expires.

They haven't been in touch since, and I've continued to pay my rent.

What are my options here? Ideally I'd just go and find somewhere else but that's not easy. I know that if they were to go through the legal route there would be a notice period, but the absolute dread I have every day when I come home and expect to see it pinned to the door (I was actually evicted when I was 13 one day after I came back from school, so it evokes dreadful feelings) is something I could do without.

Are the courts still backed up? Could it take a while if they were to go for possession.  Could they try something else?

I'm just sick of moving. This is the 27th property I have lived in, and it just gets me down. I know I should be grateful that I have a roof over my head, and I am, but my god is it a stress.

Absolish the private rental market.

Any advice welcome. Cheers.

• Paid Members

I don't believe it's an exaggeration to say that landlords (by and large, not counting the very few who try to be fair to tenants) and property developers are at least a third of why this country is as fucked-up as it is. There's a reason why landlords are usually amongst the first up against the wall in violent revolutions.

• Paid Members

The fact that our social housing stock is so depleted, thanks to buy-to-let landlords, and yet we’re running credit checks on private tenants is so fucked up. I dread to think where the number of those homeless is going. I’ve had some awful dealings with landlords and letting agencies over the years; refusing to replace broken appliances, trying to charge a fortune for a gardener when I moved out when I had proof that I had actually improved the state of the garden but I know these don’t scratch the surface of what others put up.  I had one agency demanding a guarantor for a property I wanted as apparently my age meant I was a higher risk tenant, despite me having a decent salary and good credit rating, I told them where to shove it. What they get away with is criminal but sadly not surprising. Sorry you’re going through that @SuperBacon, sounds like you’re doing the right things, I’m guessing you’ve been in touch with CAB or Shelter?

Edited by stumobir

5 hours ago, stumobir said:

Sorry you’re going through that @SuperBacon, sounds like you’re doing the right things, I’m guessing you’ve been in touch with CAB or Shelter?

Its OK. Like I said plenty of other people in worse situations so I count myself fortunate.

Yeah, I spoke to both of them, and also my Stepmum who is a solicitor, who gave some good advice.

Posting on here in hindsight was more just needing to vent. Perhaps I should make it more relevant by talking about taking poos in the flats toilets? :)

• Paid Members

As a renter in South London I have been routinely shafted and fucked off by these parasitic bastards for years now. The way these absolutely cunts leech so much money by doing fuck all (and essentially ruining society in the process) just because they were lucky enough to buy a house 40 years ago when it was worth peanuts or, worse, inherited from their parents never fails to piss me off.

These cancerous capitalist scum will be the first under the fucking guillotine if I have my way.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

To keep it for when I need to move back I've been renting out my house for 6 years (I'm a cunt I know) and have never agreed with the agents when they proposed putting the rent up every year at renewal.

It's not a business to me, granted, but my mortgage rate has been lower than an ants ball bag so why do it, yet the agent still suggest it every year. 

• Paid Members

The worst thing about rental properties, whereby you pay far more per pcm than you would a mortgage on the same property (effectively getting less home for more cash), is that it makes it so much harder to buy. I just bought, and I'm stunned how much bigger a house I get for a much lower monthly commitment, plus its mine and the money is buying something for me, not going into a black hole.

That meme on networks is true, re: mortgage meetings.

"The bank needs proof that you can afford this £700 mortgage payment."

"I've been able to afford my current rent at £1000 per month."

"Why haven't you been able to save up a bigger deposit?"

"Because my current rent is £1000 per month."

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

To keep it for when I need to move back I've been renting out my house for 6 years (I'm a cunt I know) and have never agreed with the agents when they proposed putting the rent up every year at renewal.

Hmm...for that you may have just saved yourself from the guillotine come the revolution. However you will be required to attend your local re-education camp just to be on the safe side.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I currently rent and feel like I have got a decent landlord (if there is such a thing). She hasn't increased our rent in the last 5 years, fixes anything we need straight away and generally just leaves us alone. The last house, however, was managed through a company and they were absolute bastards. Inspections every 3 months, rent increases every 6 months and everything was just difficult throughout our tenure. 

While renting, I will never be in a position to own a property and I think that is the worst part of renting. The bleak future knowing I will forever be living in someone else's house with my family, always with the thought that in 6 months time, I could be turfed out in short notice. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, air_raid said:

The worst thing about rental properties, whereby you pay far more per pcm than you would a mortgage on the same property (effectively getting less home for more cash), is that it makes it so much harder to buy. I just bought, and I'm stunned how much bigger a house I get for a much lower monthly commitment, plus its mine and the money is buying something for me, not going into a black hole.

That meme on networks is true, re: mortgage meetings.

"The bank needs proof that you can afford this £700 mortgage payment."

"I've been able to afford my current rent at £1000 per month."

"Why haven't you been able to save up a bigger deposit?"

"Because my current rent is £1000 per month."

Yeah, I’m now paying less on a mortgage for a 3 bed semi in a North Lincs village than I was for a bedroom that I shared with my ex in an HMO in London.  How your average worker can afford to live in London is beyond me, why they would want to even more so.  
The whole idea of freeholds, inherited property etc just makes zero sense, population is booming and we have very finite areas of land to build on but the thickos in this country think it’s their God given right to not only own swathes of it but pass it on to generation after generation of their family. It’s totally unsustainable. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Are the courts still backed up? 

Massively. It will be months and months before they can get a hearing date. 

The fact they are accepting your rent strengthens your position. I'm not an expert on renting (I work in the leasehold industry though), but I've always been under the impression that if payment of rent is accepted, it is deemed as acceptance of your rental agreement and extends your contract so to speak. If they refund your rent at any time, start worrying. 

4 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Stop extortionate classic football shirts and maybe you could actually afford a house, yeah?

Fixed ;)

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RalphyV2 said:

have applied for a council flat 

Off topic but I can't hear reference to a council flat with saying "cor blimey trousers" and going cockney for the next 10 minutes. 

Between that and singing along when mashing potatoes it's no wonder I'm single. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, stumobir said:

The whole idea of freeholds, inherited property etc just makes zero sense, population is booming and we have very finite areas of land to build on but the thickos in this country think it’s their God given right to not only own swathes of it but pass it on to generation after generation of their family. It’s totally unsustainable. 

In the current context, it makes sense for me and my sisters. As Londoners, we had a very short window in which to have a career which could earn us enough money to purchase a place in London. Because none of us foresaw just how obscene the property market was going to be, I chose a career that I didn't realise till later wouldn't pay off, and by that point, London had become inaffordable. I live with my family, partly because our family culture is different, but mainly because I simply cannot afford to move out. To rent in London is to pour water on a desert, and it makes more sense to stay with family, be a part of my family community (strength through unity, etc.), and save money that would otherwise be wasted to strengthen my family unit.

My parents bought our family house, freehold, in London for what was cheap even back in 1980; it was in a run-down area of London (at the time), and it was a fixer-upper, that my dad managed to sort out by getting his mates to help with repair and building work, in exchange for helping them out with theirs. Because of a series of bastards that we call governments, banks, and landlords, it is by now the most expensive thing we own, way beyond any reasonable scope of the market, and my parents have had to put things in place to prevent myself and my sisters from being hit with an inheritance tax bill we can't afford without selling the home we grew up in, and consequently being left with not even enough money to own a flat in the area where we've built our lives, with our local community. Essentially, my parents would effectively be punished for being prudent and careful with their money. They didn't buy a house as a means of making money; they bought it to build a home, and it angers me that that should have ever been threatened by the shitty behaviour of a whole load of objectionable people.

In the final analysis, my life situation is contingent on them leaving us the house, because if we lose it, that's it - we're fucked. I agree that it's not right, but the whole situation is unjust, and right now, the only solution we as a family have is an unjust one.