Renting is fucking shit isn't it?

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I know Southampton and Portsmouth pretty well, but if anyone has any hints or tips for anywhere around the Hampshire area (towns, trails, pubs) then do let me know as I'd love to go out and explore at the weekends.

Fucking nothing mate.

Only kidding, The Traveller's Joy in Southboune is a lovely pub, does very good food. Congratulations mate. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

We finally moved on Sunday. We moved next door and yet it's amazing how much stress, physical exertion and all-round pain in the arse-ry goes into a move even if you're only moving one door down.

We were told we could have the flat at the end of June. It took our new landlord over 2 months to sort it out and we then got a week's notice to get it done. So I spent all last week on it, we moved a few bits over before the weekend, and then did the rest on Sunday. Then my 15yo wanted to get everything tidied away and sorted on Sunday night and Monday morning I felt like I was in traction. It's a nice place - smaller (not a duplex this time) but more manageable, but also more expensive. Everything's set up and things can go back to some semblance of normality now.

I think we'll only be here a year though. I know already that the landlord's wife is going to moan about noise - we aren't especially noisy but it already sounds like she's getting her excuses in early, mentioning being a light sleeper and all. Shouldn't have let her husband give us a 12 month lease then, should she. Knob.

While it's been convenient to move next door, I've still got to deal with the crap and furniture we left behind. We couldn't do a bunk because the old landlord knows where we are. The council said it will be a month to shift it all, which is a lot of fucking help. At least we didn't need to hire a cleaner because they're already knocking the kitchen and bathroom through.

No idea where we would have ended up if we hadn't got lucky with this place though. Practically the whole year has been wasted on this, a completely miserable experience from start to finish. It's worth it though. Being one floor higher up and one door over has made a surprisingly big difference to the noise level of whatever shitty Irish folk band they've got doing Fields of Athenry and Half the World Away this weekend.

4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

While it's been convenient to move next door, I've still got to deal with the crap and furniture we left behind. We couldn't do a bunk because the old landlord knows where we are. The council said it will be a month to shift it all, which is a lot of fucking help. At least we didn't need to hire a cleaner because they're already knocking the kitchen and bathroom through.

Have you thought about charities? Hope charity in Trafford are always on the lookout for donations of furniture and they collect. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Have you thought about charities? Hope charity in Trafford are always on the lookout for donations of furniture and they collect. 

We had the BHF come round but they wouldn't take the sofas as they're too heavy and access to the flat was via fire escape stairs, so they deemed it a health and safety issue.

Landlord is claiming all our deposit though, I just discovered, so I might just leave it and block him on my phone. Can't avoid him entirely when I only moved next door but I can give it a shot.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

We had the BHF come round but they wouldn't take the sofas as they're too heavy and access to the flat was via fire escape stairs, so they deemed it a health and safety issue.

Landlord is claiming all our deposit though, I just discovered, so I might just leave it and block him on my phone. Can't avoid him entirely when I only moved next door but I can give it a shot.

If your deposit is in the protection scheme, which it should be, just dispute it. Means the landlord has to justify every penny they are trying to charge, which is always fun. It's very little hassle to do and one of the few systems that is on the tenants side. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, chokeout said:

If your deposit is in the protection scheme, which it should be, just dispute it. Means the landlord has to justify every penny they are trying to charge, which is always fun. It's very little hassle to do and one of the few systems that is on the tenants side. 

I'm thinking more from the point of view of having to keep living here, next door to a property he owns and more or less over another one. Legally, sure, I could probably claim a victory but a year of getting the side-eye from him, the people who work for him, his family and the many friends round here. I'm not built to cope with that shit anymore, I just want a quiet life.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm thinking more from the point of view of having to keep living here, next door to a property he owns and more or less over another one. Legally, sure, I could probably claim a victory but a year of getting the side-eye from him, the people who work for him, his family and the many friends round here. I'm not built to cope with that shit anymore, I just want a quiet life.

When you put it like that, sack it off. Quiet life not having to deal with people trumps everything else. 

@Devon Malcolm Have you tried Renewal?

https://www.renewal-nw.com/

They are close to Edgeley and generally aren't afraid to move stuff if you explain the circumstances to them.

The alternative is that if you or someone you know has a Facebook account, post items on marketplace/local groups as there's no end of people who are looking for stuff, especially if it's free.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Just had the dreaded rent increase letter through the post. Going up by £45 a month, which in the grand scheme, isn't too bad, but puts us at £700 a month for a main road terrace in Barnsley. 

Noticed that the landlords address had changed on the letter, googled the property and turns out they purchased a £1.1m house last year, guess they're strapped for cash so needed to increase the rent. Poor buggers.

Just now, Nick James said:

Just had the dreaded rent increase letter through the post. Going up by £45 a month, which in the grand scheme, isn't too bad, but puts us at £700 a month for a main road terrace in Barnsley. 

Noticed that the landlords address had changed on the letter, googled the property and turns out they purchased a £1.1m house last year, guess they're strapped for cash so needed to increase the rent. Poor buggers.

If you’re so inclined, you can make a formal inquiry into the reasons for the increase. If it’s to cover work carried out etc. loads of parasites are saying mortgage increase when there isn’t a mortgage on the property. 

Have recently started letting and my only gripe so far is the actual letting agents rather than the landlord, have already had one or two issues with the letting agents directly (one was them owing me money because I overpaid forgetting I had paid the deposit) and I can't help but feel that because I've pissed them off they won't be looking to do me any favours when it comes to renewing the rent for another year (assuming it works like that). 

No issues with Landlord yet, just that horrible feeling where I feel that anything I say or do will go against me. Letting agents have been great at times and not great at other times and can't help but feel they have some power/sway in all this, hopefully I am wrong and the landlord will just be happy to have us continue for the next few years.

• 2 months later...

I have a saniflow toilet in my flat which is unspeakably shit, no pun intended. 

Its noisy, smelly and last night decided to stop working and back up through the bath, rendering toilet, bath and sink all out of action. Reported at 8am.

Someone from the letting agent comes round at 4pm, despite me sending them pictures of a full bath (of well, let's face it, backed up piss and shit) and a toilet that has been threatening to overflow all day throughout the day, telling them it's an emergency and I'd act quickly if it was my property.

I was so desperate by about 3pm, I told them I would fucking pay for a plumber, but no, the cunts have to wait to hear back from the cunt landlord and get her approval for her plumber. Absolute ball ache.

Lo and behold they call me at about 6pm to say they can't get anyone out tonight (should've acted at 8am then?) and it'll be lunchtime tomorrow. 

I told them that I've done all I can, and the next thing to happen is the bath or the toilet will overflow and I sure as fuck won't be clearing that up, so it's the landlords property and ultimately her choice whether she gets someone out tonight.

Also said that if it does come over the top, I'll be going to the pub next door (did have a poo there earlier) to stay and deducting that off their rent next month for each day I have gone without the basic amenities. Didn't like that, did they? Good. Fuck off.

First up against the wall when the revolution comes. Parasitic cunts.

• 1 year later...

Don’t know if I’ve mentioned here how our landlords handyman is a fucking aggro little dickhead. The girl upstairs has moved out and needed a final meter reading. I can’t get down to the basement to do it (all three flats’ meters are in there and it’s only accessible through my flat. Something that’s apparently illegal). 

One of the issues here is workmen turning up unannounced because the landlord never tells me they’re coming to do work. So I hear someone let themselves in and they’re up in the empty flat. Ten minutes later there’s a knock at the door and it’s dickhead. He’s the kind of guy who we’ve all worked with, if one minor thing goes wrong it’s a catastrophe and he loses it. 

He said how he is heading to the basement to get a reading. I tell him it isn’t a good time as we are just on our way out. My partner is autistic so routine is important and she’s had trouble with him in the past going off at her so it would’ve been a big problem letting him in. Due to the layout of the place, there’s a storage container and drawers in front of the basement door. 

He says he’ll only be two minutes and could’ve done it by now if I wasn’t being “Fucking awkward”.  I was explaining how I’d need to move stuff and if I knew he was coming round, I’d have had it ready. My partner then reminded him that we are entitled to 24 hours notice and don’t have to let in anyone unannounced for a non emergency visit. 

He was getting aggro and said “Well I will be coming back you can count on that” and I said that’s great, just let me know when and I’ll have it ready and reminded him he has my number so just text me. 

He slammed the door and I could hear him screaming “PAIR OF FUCKING AWKWARD WANKERS” over and over again as he made his way back to the car. So I thought I wasn’t having that and went out to ask him what wrong. Silly bollocks here forgot his walking stick and hobbled out and said “Do you want to say that again?”

He marched over the road and made a fist, and stuck it in my face, he started screaming how he was going to fucking sort me out as his face twisted with rage. My partner then stepped in between us and told him to leave. She is 5’1 and has massive digestion issues amongst other things and he screamed at her “I’LL FUCKING PUNCH YOU TOO YOU FAT FUCKING MUNCHKIN”

Instinctively I shoved him and told him to fuck off. He landed a few punches and as I stepped forward my dodgy legs gave out and I went arse over tit. As I was on the deck he booted me a few times and as I got back to me feet I punched him a few times, then my partner tried to separate us. 

You know when someone has zero force in their shots and it feels like a token slap, that was him so I thought it would work if I let him have a few free shots while smiling at him. I don’t want to try and sound like a Johnny Big Potatoes or anything but they were soft shots. He quickly scuttled off to his car and fucked off when he realised he wasn’t getting anywhere with his pillow hands. 

My partner was really distressed by this, understandably  and asked me to call the landlord to get the guys details as she wanted to take it further. Now obviously it’s a bit hypocritical to be all ACAB and then involve them and I accept that  but she is my priority.

The landlord eventually picked up, I suspect dickhead was already calling him, and told him I needed his details  landlord said he didn’t know them, he only knows his first name and number like I do  I told him that was bollocks because he invoices him for work so he has his details  landlord did his usual “I’m out of town but will sort it when I’m back”  I said how dickhead isn’t setting foot in my flat, and how plod will probably be in touch if he doesn’t come good with the info  

My partner is now convinced we will get Section 21d and we will be absolutely fucked what with us both being unable to work because of health  I’m sure the landlord will do fuck all as he never does and never rocks the boat  To be honest, I won’t be pursuing any charges but my partner wants to, but the thing is we now have crime numbers which might strengthen our application with the council as to why we can’t stay here and hopefully move us up the waiting list. I’ve rolled my ankle when I hit the deck and have a couple of lumps on my face so I’ll submit all this to the doctors so it’s on file there too  

My brain being the way it is will be keeping me awake all night now saying “Should’ve just let him in” but I haven’t done anything wrong. Ah well, isn’t renting shit