Renting is fucking shit isn't it?

SuperBacon

• Moderators

Yeah sorry wasn't really paying attention to what thread I was in. Obviously not something you should be having to do.

Interesting how it is simultaneously something the landlord has never heard of happening before while he is also able to instantly diagnose with certainty what the cause is.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah sorry wasn't really paying attention to what thread I was in. Obviously not something you should be having to do.

It's all good and wasn't meaning to sound arsey.

I mean I probably could do it* but I'm not messing with something that could be used against me, and be held liable for. Not worth it to be honest, especially electrics.

*I absolutely couldn't let's be honest.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Rossman said:

Cost about £5 from Screwfix and take about 15 minutes to fit.

If it's that easy then his landlord shouldn't have any problem sorting it, then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 1/20/2024 at 10:42 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

The thing about landlords is that when you think you've met a decent one, you haven't. They're ALL cunts.

For about a year I've had a small leak that dribbles down the wall next to my bedroom window when it pisses down. The landlord hired some roofer that he probably met down the pub to fix it. He sticks the scaffoding up, does *something* and then fucks off with the landlord's money. Leak isn't fixed. That was last summer.

So three months ago he asks my dad, who's a joiner, to knock a chunk out of my bedroom ceiling to see where exactly the issue is. Which he did. Three months later I still have a chunk out of my bedroom ceiing except now it leaks on the floor and not dribble down the wall. If it pisses down, I can't sleep because drips make a loud fucking noise when they hit a waterproof sheet.

My dad got his friend, who's an actual good roofer, to take a look at the outside to see if he could spot what the issue is. Which he did without a second look. So he tells my landlord it'll cost him £750 and he can do it in three weeks if he hires some scaffolding.

The landlord said he's not sure and HE'D PREFER TO WAIT UNTIL THE WEATHER GETS WARMER.  Because he doesn't know if my dad's mate will take into consideration the cold weather. Like he doesn't know what he's fucking doing after 20 years of trading and working in ALL WEATHER.

Now the bedroom's getting mould. Because of the damp. Which is awesome for my asthma. So now I'm looking for a new place to live. Again. Or I stay here and wait for my parents-in-law to die, leave me something in their inheritance so I can afford a deposit to buy a place. By which point I'll probably be dead from inhaling mould in my sleep.

What a fucking shit country and system this is. Honestly.

Got an update on this.

Landlord decided not to take up my dad's friend's offer, instead collaring some guy he probably had a drink with in the pub downstairs 15 years ago. So they hired a cherry picker to get on the roof and instead of completely replacing the valley, which is what even I knew needed doing (and I know as little about roofing as anyone on the planet), he decided to fill the hole in with mortar.

To my 'Patrick Stewart mild shock gif' surprise, it didn't work and leaked the moment it pissed down. So now they're "coming back tomorrow morning to have another go". I'm going to Home Bargains, I'm staying out of these cunts' way.

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Such short sighted dickheadedness. Beggars belief. I'm sure it's no real consolation for you that it will almost certainly end up costing him more money than just having done it properly in the first place.

Yep. My landlord got a builder round to do some repairs and he tasked the guy to get the roof fixed. It was in such a bad state that he got him a few quotes and the cheapest was 14k. So the landlord said it’ll cost too much so carry on patching it up when it gets desperate. Not sure if readers are aware but it rains a lot in Manchester so it’s always desperate. 

However the silly old cunt accidentally texted me on his secret not for tenants phone so he can’t ignore my calls anymore. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Such short sighted dickheadedness. Beggars belief. I'm sure it's no real consolation for you that it will almost certainly end up costing him more money than just having done it properly in the first place.

My dad suggested pulling up the waterproof sheets I have down in my bedroom because his bedroom is directly below mine, so when it starts leaking on his face when he's asleep he'd get it fucking fixed properly.

• Paid Members

WTF, Why on earth would someone leave a hole in the roof? 

Regardless of if your a shit enough person to expect someone to live like that you would think they have the common sense to protect your asset? 

Id be tempted to do as your dad suggests and "move" the sheeting your attempting to save this guys house with, 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Landlord just turned up with expanding foam. I'm going to B&M and Home Bargains.

Has he seen that Instagram video and tried repairing it with ramen noodles yet?

Naively was hoping for a bit of our deposit back from my old place. Instead for a house with 7 tenants they charge for extra energy heating usage. It's Manchester, it's cold. It's an old house with single pane of glass windows. Old as shit. Anyway they've charged us all per day for any over use then totalled that between the readings (Aug 2021-Jan 2023). Regardless of if we seemingly went over every day. Just charged for that gap of days. So my deposit was £395 and per person apparently we were over £1K overspending each. Which I think is completely bollocks but meh, I get no deposit back and apparently owe an energy company £650. I have about £7. I'm off to beg. What a fucking day it's started out like. My mother was guarantor so I'm hoping they don't go after her?

Edited by Chili