1PW Returns

ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

@Your Fight Site Was it 1PW who stiffed you on a payment for a website you designed so you took the website down until they paid? Absolutely top level move to people who think they can fuck people around and get away with it. 

Yeah. That was a Rodd-era shenanigan and a mini-site for when he had booked Shawn Michaels, though.

He promised to pay me from the first couple of ticket sales, gave him the benefit of the doubt, gently “reminded” him for a couple of days after, he just ghosted me so I pulled the site. Can’t remember if he did pay or not, as think the whole show—and maybe the company—fell apart after. Can’t remember if this is before or after Danny started directing people to a mysterious Lord Someone-Or-Other as the point of contact for people chasing money owed.

Engine Shed confirming that he was selling tickets for an event there without actually having completed the booking of the venue:

We regret to inform you that the upcoming 1PW event, which was initially advertised to take place on 2nd December 2023, will not be happening as planned. The Engine Shed had not officially confirmed or promoted this event due to pending requirements outlined in our venue hire agreement.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02sgqTPQcWEZGbhtg9a9BEtDcqXPWgUA4kuDomVPxAZWF5K9uyQoMct4XSqMacDqeLl&id=100064357166986

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Or was that set purely to deal with abuse & abuse allegations?

It wasn't; they get a bad rap - mostly because they deserve it, but also because a lot of people have assumed they were formed as a post-Speaking Out thing with a remit to sort out abuse in the industry, when they're just as much about trying to promote UK wrestling on an economic basis. So people shit on them for sidling up to WWE and celebrating them running shows in the UK, but that sort of thing was always very explicitly part of what they set out to do.

They have commented pretty vaguely on what's been going on with 1PW, mostly just to signpost some of the stuff they wrote on better practice.

Equity have been helping out some wrestlers who lost bookings with 1PW, or are otherwise out of pocket because of them, though. All the more reasons that more wrestlers should unionise!

There are wrestlers that had booked travel from the US or Europe to these shows, with the promise of getting reimbursed, who are now going to be out of pocket with nobody covering their travel expenses, and no bookings. Hopefully some promotions will pick up their bookings so they at least get something out of it, but none of them are particularly names, so it's a long shot when running shows is already prohibitively expensive without having to find a spot for a French wrestler that's unlikely to shift any tickets.

This might sound ignorant, but why are wrestlers booking their own travel?  Surely the promotion should be paying for that?  That would be a huge warning flag straight away for me.

If one of my clients wants me overseas for a meeting, I'm getting them to book flights and accommodation.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Loki said:

This might sound ignorant, but why are wrestlers booking their own travel?  Surely the promotion should be paying for that?  That would be a huge warning flag straight away for me.

I mean, in this case it's because they're shysters. In more reputable cases, it's a matter of talent booking their travel and getting it reimbursed, which is fine when you can trust the promoter, but not worth taking the risk if you can't. I think in some cases, especially with American talent that travel frequently, it can come down to them wanting to earn points or airmiles or whatever by booking stuff themselves.

Likelihood for some of these guys is that they're looking for an opportunity, and were prepared to pay their own way for it, though. Not ideal, but people will do it.

Unless it's 1PW, let's go through the list I can remember of Wrestlers who got stopped and turned around at the airport or got held up for ages.

• Corino
  • SJK
  • Billy Gunn
  • Abyss
  • Chris Daniels

There is probably a load more of them, also remember a lot of the people named and shamed a while back during the Speaking Out movement plied their trade there as well.

43 minutes ago, XFacedChickenWing said:

There is probably a load more of them, also remember a lot of the people named and shamed a while back during the Speaking Out movement plied their trade there as well.

Oh don’t worry, wrestling fans won’t give a shit about that. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Loki said:

If one of my clients wants me overseas for a meeting, I'm getting them to book flights and accommodation.

You're also probably not messing around with Visa and tax implications. Some wrestlers are just visiting and sight-seeing, honest, guv.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, rAZN said:

From Instagram, 

"With regret 1PW LTD has ceased trading and all future events are cancelled.

"We would advise customers seeking ticket refunds to discuss the matter with their card issuer or bank.

"The board of directors are currently seeking professional advice."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cxx9A6yskr6/

The board of directors? So that’s no one seeking professional advice then?

22 minutes ago, Chris B said:

You're also probably not messing around with Visa and tax implications. Some wrestlers are just visiting and sight-seeing, honest, guv.

I can't remember the exact bit I have vague memories of Chris Hero (I think) being on one of those customs/airport security reality programs where he was held up in immigration over questions around his Visa and the rather conspicuous wrestling belt that he was carrying with him.