1PW Returns

ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members

Why does Gauntley even want to be a promoter? He's shit at it and it's ruined his life. I'd understand if he was trying to go back and relive past successes but he was never a success at it. He lost everything the first time around. 

The guy had a successful business with 1UP Games before he started 1PW and since then it's just been a nightmare. Why go back 15 years to that stage of your life just to repeat it all again? The lies, the non-payments, the excuses, avoiding people, the "payment plans" to pay wrestlers, the tax issues, company director issues & these recurring transfers of ownerships, the bankruptcy, solicitor fees, personal insolvency, embarrassing yourself publically, people laughing at you, not to mention the constant stress it must be on him - that can't be healthy.

The wrestling industry has changed drastically since he was last involved in 2006/2007 - and he wasn't even good at it back then. Just knock it on the head, man. 

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

Why does Gauntley even want to be a promoter?

Ego, bordering on Messiah syndrome. 

The first time I saw him in person was at the academy in Doncaster, when he randomly showed up during a training session. Instead of just slipping in and watching over everyone, his arrival was announced, and when he walked into the room, training was essentially put on hold while the younger trainees crowded round him, like his touch was going to cure their leprosy.

He was never going to just stay in the background and focus on the business. Remember the book of appreciation?

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

The first time I saw him in person was at the academy in Doncaster, when he randomly showed up during a training session. Instead of just slipping in and watching over everyone, his arrival was announced, and when he walked into the room, training was essentially put on hold while the younger trainees crowded round him, like his touch was going to cure their leprosy.

He was never going to just stay in the background and focus on the business. Remember the book of appreciation?

lmao that's so cringe.

I'd understand having an ego if you were successful at something. But he failed at every level of promoting shows - so what were these people worshipping? Anyone can lose money.

Edited by herbie747

1 hour ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

What's "the book of appreciation"?

25 minutes ago, TimmyB said:

What's "the book of appreciation"?

You know how at a wedding they have a book that guests sign wishing the couple all the best?  Well something like that was passed around (possibly by his stepdaughter) so those chanting “Thank you Stephen clapclapclapclap” could write down how appreciative they were for all he did. 

It’s some tinpot Russell Brand shit. 

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

You know how at a wedding they have a book that guests sign wishing the couple all the best?  Well something like that was passed around (possibly by his stepdaughter) so those chanting “Thank you Stephen clapclapclapclap” could write down how appreciative they were for all he did. 

It’s some tinpot Russell Brand shit. 

Dear me.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, TimmyB said:

Dear me.

We used to have a member here called Moj. Fifteen years ago he traveled into the future so that he could see this conversation we're having now, and he archived it here:

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

We used to have a member here called Moj. Fifteen years ago he traveled into the future so that he could see this conversation we're having now, and he archived it here:

That's my evening read sorted. Thanks for that! 

• Paid Members
Just now, herbie747 said:

That's my evening read sorted. Thanks for that! 

I've just been through it, and I hadn't realised just how accurate my gag about it being from the past-future/current-present would turn out to be. 

2007.....fucking hell.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, herbie747 said:

Why does Gauntley even want to be a promoter? He's shit at it and it's ruined his life. I'd understand if he was trying to go back and relive past successes but he was never a success at it. He lost everything the first time around. 

The guy had a successful business with 1UP Games before he started 1PW and since then it's just been a nightmare. Why go back 15 years to that stage of your life just to repeat it all again? The lies, the non-payments, the excuses, avoiding people, the "payment plans" to pay wrestlers, the tax issues, company director issues & these recurring transfers of ownerships, the bankruptcy, solicitor fees, personal insolvency, embarrassing yourself publically, people laughing at you, not to mention the constant stress it must be on him - that can't be healthy.

The wrestling industry has changed drastically since he was last involved in 2006/2007 - and he wasn't even good at it back then. Just knock it on the head, man. 

Bear in mind, he didn't just resurrect 1PW - he had a couple of failed promotions in between then and this one. Anyone remember Pro Wrestling Republic?

Moj was brilliant on here for a lot of stuff, and his ridiculing of Gauntley was great. Vicious, scathing, and funny, although a fair bit of it now might make me cringe - it was proper early/mid-2000s stuff.

18 hours ago, herbie747 said:

As has been said on here it's all an ego thing. He is a complete narcissist. 
Everything is about him. 
When he is proven (time and again) to be a fraud and liar it's "health issues" "nearly dying" "family deaths".

He has always been awful at promoting and has no idea how to turn a profit. Even here he had sell out shows at first with over 1,500 paid and he still lost £17k on one show. Idiot. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

he walked into the room, training was essentially put on hold while the younger trainees crowded round him, like his touch was going to cure their leprosy

To be fair Surf it was Doncaster, it's even money that they had leprosy and they'd do anything to cure it. 

• 3 weeks later...