Things in films or telly that never occur in day to day life..

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
On 2/25/2022 at 5:30 PM, Keith Houchen said:

This does happen if you have a local. 

Off Topic but I used to go to the same pub after work every Friday and it got so on walking in they started pulling my drinks knowing I started on the left guest and worked my way right through them. It was lovely to not even need to order, just walk in and sit down. 

35 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Off Topic but I used to go to the same pub after work every Friday and it got so on walking in they started pulling my drinks knowing I started on the left guest and worked my way right through them. It was lovely to not even need to order, just walk in and sit down. 

I had that when I worked next door to a pub. They knew I’d be in on a Friday at four and they’d have a Stella waiting. Absolutely blissful times. 

• Paid Members

There was a guy who came into the shop I used to work in who used to buy Embassy Filter, except the second time he'd ask for them he'd say "20 of them" and you'd be expected to remember. Everyone else in the shop would and he was known as "20 Of Them". When he asked me for "20 of them" I'd pretend I didn't know what he meant and I'd make him say it.  Sometimes I'd give him Mayfair Lights and he'd have correct me. This is probably more for a "reasons you are a prick" thread.

6 minutes ago, gmoney said:

This is probably more for a "reasons you are a prick" thread

Nah, Daily Shithouse. It’s like when I lost a game of darts at a big tournament so I chalked the next game on the board. Eric Bristow was playing so I asked him “What’s your initials, mate?” “EB mate” without a hint of do you know who I am. Unlike Chrissy Johns who well took the hump when I asked him the same. Not Brissy though, top man. 

• Paid Members
On 2/27/2022 at 12:09 AM, gmoney said:

There was a guy who came into the shop I used to work in who used to buy Embassy Filter, except the second time he'd ask for them he'd say "20 of them" and you'd be expected to remember. Everyone else in the shop would and he was known as "20 Of Them". When he asked me for "20 of them" I'd pretend I didn't know what he meant and I'd make him say it.  Sometimes I'd give him Mayfair Lights and he'd have correct me. This is probably more for a "reasons you are a prick" thread.

My mate runs a café, and his rule basically comes down to "you don't get to decide you're a regular". If you start coming in and ordering "the usual", or anything to that effect, he'll pretend not to know what you want and make you order it properly, but if you come in and are just polite and say hello to him, he'll offer "the usual" and make it for you. Just to remind people what the power dynamic at play is. And if he thinks you're a prick he'll always make you order properly.

Having a "usual" at a pub is one of life's pleasures, though. A mate at work was saying, when a colleague was fretting over citizenship issues, that if you can walk into your nearest pub and get served without having said a word, they should hand you your British citizenship right there and then. Walking in to a busy pub, with queues backed up at the bar, and the barman just waving a glass in your direction and giving you a thumbs up is a lovely experience.

Using a mobile phone - it rings and is answered instantly. None of this 'wait 4-5 seconds to bounce off the satellites and connect. It then rings half a dozen times where the person answering is running around like a loon shouting 'where the fuck is my phone?'

Women who wake up in the morning and have overslept, yet within 5mins they have done their hair and make up immaculately and know exactly where all their clothes are etc

Does anyone actually just wander in and out of eachothers houses as much as they do in soapland? 

Arriving at an airport never seems to have a queue at check in and when they are buying a ticket there always happens to be one available and affordable without the character thinking 'I wonder if I can afford this....'