NFTs

Devon Malcolm

16 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

As I understand it, that's also the reason why so many right-wing/alt-right/Libertarian dickheads are almost invariably into crypto-currencies in general. 

Or, as I heard them so beautifully named recently, "Dunning-Krugerrands".

It's also why it's pretty popular with white supremecists due to anti semetic idea surrounding the control of money

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, stumobir said:

What if I Google image search one of those bored apes and set it as my screensaver, is the owner of the NFT coming to my door to demand a tenner?

No of course not, they'd probably get Chris Masters to do it.

25 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

As I understand it, that's also the reason why so many right-wing/alt-right/Libertarian dickheads are almost invariably into crypto-currencies in general. 

Or, as I heard them so beautifully named recently, "Dunning-Krugerrands".

6 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

It's also why it's pretty popular with white supremecists due to anti semetic idea surrounding the control of money

Off topic, but have you listened to any of Jon Ronsons podcast series “Things Fell Apart” on BBC Sounds? It’s about origins of Culture Wars, this episode was about a daily joke blog that upset people and delves into the Silicon Valley Libertarian bent. It’s only half and hour of your time. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00127xv

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Off topic, but have you listened to any of Jon Ronsons podcast series “Things Fell Apart” on BBC Sounds? It’s about origins of Culture Wars, this episode was about a daily joke blog that upset people and delves into the Silicon Valley Libertarian bent. It’s only half and hour of your time. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00127xv

Cool, thanks for that! I'll definitely check that out - been going down a lot of "dissector" rabbit-holes recently, like HBomberGuy, etc., so that should be a good listen.

• Paid Members

An important thing to note about the inflated values - since cryptocurrency is still very poorly regulated, a lot of these 'sales' are a person selling it to themselves, or to someone they're partnered to, specifically to inflate the value & get headlines. Celebrities getting involved is less about them seeing some innate value and more huge industry entities like the Winklevoss bellends having invested millions in the cryptocurrency space and leveraging their connections to generate press and inflate the value.

Edited by Jesse
Confused my Kochs with my Winkles

10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

All you need to know is that if anyone has NFT, Crypto or a name of a cryptocurrency in their Twitter bio then they're either a cunt or a nonce.

I think a similar principal applies IRL.

Apologies for the sweeping generalisation but every single person I have ever met who is into Crypto etc. is a tedious weirdo bell end. The type who say things like "wake up" and spout rubbish they just heard about (but firmly believe to be absolute fact) on the Joe Rogan Experience. In a nutshell, profoundly dull people with average intelligence who sadly think they are incredibly interesting and clever.

The office I previously worked in had a crypto guy. If anyone was going to snap one day it would have been him. I was waiting for the day where he just pulled the cord and white light engulfed us. Sadly it never came. 

2 hours ago, Chili said:

This, also when people say they mine crypto I get awfully lost. 

I heard theres warehouses full of PS3’s being used to mine crypto in Ukraine. It’s also the reason no one can get hold of these fancy new CPU’s that are coming out and getting snapped up quicker than Jordan 4’s and PS5’s combined. I imagine enough of these mining farms leave a pretty big dint in energy consumption.

Just don’t ask me to explain anything I just said. I blame Elon Musk and Joe Rogan.

58 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I heard theres warehouses full of PS3’s being used to mine crypto in Ukraine. It’s also the reason no one can get hold of these fancy new CPU’s that are coming out and getting snapped up quicker than Jordan 4’s and PS5’s combined. I imagine enough of these mining farms leave a pretty big dint in energy consumption.

Just don’t ask me to explain anything I just said. I blame Elon Musk and Joe Rogan.

It's GPUs which have become much harder to get either at all or anywhere near RRP, due to crypto mining. Which is why I'm still rocking my GTX 1060 and haven't upgraded yet. Although the recent crypto crash seems to have started to alliviate the issue.

5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This is the most sense I've seen in this. I admire the explanations, going on to Google some of it just led to be the above mentioned weirdo alpha nonces with right man syndrome. 

My only knowledge of Joe Rogan is he did something in UFC, had THE PLEASURE of working with Phil Hartman, the lucky twat. He does comedy, has a podcast that a few UK acts have cribbed off and is into all that chinstrokey stoke the fires talk. The just asking crew. Ugh. Plus his skin for some reason makes me think of one of those komodo dragons. Plus Neil Young says he's a cunt.