AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

I think, with Scorpio Sky, there's been a feeling since the start that he could be a big star - but as time has gone on, he's shown there's something missing. I like him a lot, but I actually like him more when he's being himself in interviews and things like that. He's got a relaxed charisma that comes across like he'd be the coolest person in the room at times, but it doesn't translate to TV well at all.

However... sometimes people rise to the challenge. And I think that's the thinking behind giving him the title - it's about giving him a chance to step up. No excuses, no 'one day, at the right time' - this is his time, he's been given the opportunity, and if he's ever going to develop the TV charisma to go with his look, this is the only thing left to try. At which point, there's enough potential with him that he could work out - give him the title for a month or two, and if there's no serious improvement, move on. I'd rather they try than not try. 

He's begun to show me a little bit more in how he carries himself - not lots, but a little. If he can make it work, there still could be something special there. But he's not young, and this is the last chance. I like that he's getting the chance, and hopefully, he'll show something with it. He'll either make it work, or he'll be back in multi-mans and Dark for the rest of his run. Either way, it's a temporary test.

• Paid Members

The story telling at the commentary table was great during the tag match. You could sense that Regal was sowing the seeds of being interested in Wheeler and I thought, hmm... wonder if this will lead to something in the future. But then it did post match. Great stuff, and Regal was also excellent on commentary. Being polite to Mr Ross and Mr Schiavone but being weary initially over the man in the mask. Such a great signing for them.

Main was good, shame they had to rush the ending though. Sky is still a bit off for me, but the match itself was fine. Jury is out still for the JAS. Could go either way. Hardy's were vinatage Hardys. Good for the nostalgia, but I hope it isn't a long run. Opener was good, but still hoping the feud with Adam Cole fizzles out.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, RedRooster said:

That said, I'm also unconvinced by Wardlow. Once the MJF feud is over, I'm not sure he has staying power. He looks impressive, he's solid enough in ring, but for me, he's missing something.

My rebuttal:

What a man.

Wardlow has the Batista and almost Nash levels of cool just stood doing nothing. Pretty athletic as well and has age on his side. Plus just look at him 

Instead of the Moxley/Danielson/Regal multiman match v JAS I can see it being more of AFO v Hardys/Sting/Darby/A N Other (Sammy?)

Although I do see a Survivor Series of sorts developing 

Hangman/DO/Jurassic Express v Elite 

Moxley/Danielson/Regal/Moriaty/Wheeler v JAS

Hardys/Sting/Darby/? V AFO

Maybe stick a women's match in too of some description and that's a reasonable PPV or Dynamite Special imo.

I find stats like that crazy because Michael Hayes at the time to me looked like a really old man and when he was dressed in the same gear as them I thought it looked ridiculous.

Ziggler and Miz are 41 now.

Guys back then just seemed to look/seem a lot older a lot sooner in my opinion.

I thought Rick Rude looked and seemed like a much older guy when he was with DX...he was 40 when he died.

An enjoyable show again this week and for me something that I love is I feel like every segment of the show is always developing something or leading to something down the line. It's a very basic and simple premise of a wrestling show but one I feel is often very lacking in WWE.

3 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I find stats like that crazy because Michael Hayes at the time to me looked like a really old man and when he was dressed in the same gear as them I thought it looked ridiculous.

Ziggler and Miz are 41 now.

Guys back then just seemed to look/seem a lot older a lot sooner in my opinion.

I thought Rick Rude looked and seemed like a much older guy when he was with DX...he was 40 when he died.

Drugs and Alcohol 

• Awards Moderator
14 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

An enjoyable show again this week and for me something that I love is I feel like every segment of the show is always developing something or leading to something down the line. It's a very basic and simple premise of a wrestling show but one I feel is often very lacking in WWE.

I felt this way too. I enjoyed all the matches this week and thought there was plenty of good story progression as well as some great individual moments - the pops for the Hardys and Rosa, William Regal referring to Danhausen as a “demon waif” on commentary.

The fact I only just realised CM Punk wasn’t even on the show may be an indication that AEW can do really good episodes on TV without needing to get every star on there.

I did miss what 2.0 are called now, and the reason for the name change. I may have misheard the bit I didn’t miss and should check if they even did a name change?

• Paid Members

There must only be room for one Matt & Jeff on the roster. 

@Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete I wonder whether they'd stick Punk in there work Sting/Darby/Hardys. Wasn't Punk on a Survivor Series team with the Hardys?I'd imagine Sammy & Tay will be busy with America's Top Team. 

5 hours ago, Sphinx said:

Agreed on Wardlow. He's Batista/Goldberg-lite.

Having said that, I didn't really get the fuss about Batista when he was first coming through either.

Im worried about him too. I want him to succeed, but I've seen matches where he comes in, the crowd is hot, then it gets super cold until he starts hitting powerbombs.

Personally I would of given him the TNT belt and have MJF contractually force him to hand it over, would of got amazing heat, but it looks like were on the path now that we are on.