AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

Jericho was probably the best thing on the show, and the idea of him facing off against former ROH Champions is fun, but ultimately, I don’t particularly care about ROH, or the person who is holding that belt. I’m watching AEW for AEW, and all ROH represents to me is a purchase that has played a pivotal role in the decline of what was a fantastic wrestling show.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I’m watching AEW for AEW, and all ROH represents to me is a purchase that has played a pivotal role in the decline of what was a fantastic wrestling show.

Agreed, but I actually think Jericho holding that belt is hilarious and can be used for some good stuff.

Maybe worst dynamite of the year. 

Opening segment was dreadful save for Jericho who is the only one capable of cutting any kind of promo in that group. Though his running down ROH as shit; and then trying to build up for his match later was poorly thought out. Daniel Garcia has all the presence  and charisma of a post it note. 

Speaking of which, why did Wheeler Yuta get mic time? Honestly, he is better suited to Dark segments there are dozens of guys on the roster who are better than him, and what a come down for MJF. 

Saraya peaked with "Paige here". Awful segment. Britt is dead in the water, as is the title. 

Why showcase two unsigned talents in major spots? The roster is huge as it is, use some of the many guys doing nothing and make some meaningful programmes. 

• Paid Members

Maybe not the worst Dynamite of the year for me, but certainly one the blandest and most embarrassing. That women's segment, the JAS opening and Starks doing fuck all were woeful. Jericho vs Bandido and Mox vs Juice saved the show from being a truly awful episode, so it'll sit in the "Eh, it was fine, I guess" section. 

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Jericho was probably the best thing on the show, and the idea of him facing off against former ROH Champions is fun, but ultimately, I don’t particularly care about ROH, or the person who is holding that belt. I’m watching AEW for AEW, and all ROH represents to me is a purchase that has played a pivotal role in the decline of what was a fantastic wrestling show.

Jericho vs Punk. All Out 2023, Chicago Illinois.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

They continued to refer to her with terms like ‘legend’ or ‘pioneer’ when I’m not sure they’re warranted.

Saraya is considered a pioneer only because she had a few decent matches and got a push off it without being what the company marketed as traditional “Diva” type of attractive. Which depending on your definition had already been achieved by AJ Lee (who personally I don’t think had a single memorable match before Paige), Beth Phoenix (who personally I think is and always was very attractive), or a fair few wrestlers in the Victoria/Molly era - overshadowed by Trish and Lita in terms of the marketing to wrist ache stakes but very capable bell to bell.

I'm not expecting much in promos from the likes of Wheeler, Daniel Garcia, or Anna Jay. I can take them flubbing lines and trying to work through it. Only way they can really learn is on the job. There were some with a lot more experience that still managed to mess up.

As the show was chugging along and they started showing the promo vids for Jericho v. Bandido and Moxley v. Juice. The type of thing people often ask for to explain things, part of me was wondering if that was always planned or filler due to the Hurricane.

Then it got to the Saraya/Interim Women's title match. Going into it Excalibur had sad the match was up next, only for Saraya to come out and clearly not for commentary. What happened next has been widely discussed at this point as something that was Divas era at best. Since it has been dissected already i'd just say my main complaint is that it made the "Women's Division" feel incredibly small. On the books you've got 3 other singles champions within AEW & ROH. Admittedly a couple are injured. Former champions like Shida, Riho, and Nyla Rose. Then a number of other talents on the roster that weren't in the segment and AEW has had the history of bringing in countless imports. It's easy to criticise the Division as badly booked (burger parties, cakes, sandbags, Nightmare Collective) but it has never felt as weak as they made it look last night.

Hangman coming out. Still having the goodwill of the people, only to be completely overshadowed. He can't catch a break.

Wheeler Yuta v. MJF is a B-grade feud to get MJF some ring time ahead of the PPV. They've wrestled a few times over the years. Mainly see the couple of matches in MLW. So it should be good.

The Ring of Jericho has potential. Just wish he didn't signpost the Danielson rematch. Could we get Jerry Lynn out of retirement? Doesn't look like ROH is doing an Oct PPV. Could all be leading to Jericho v. Garcia at Final Battle.

The matches as always were decent or higher. Just wish they left Storm v. Deeb as announced.

Lets be honest-Saraya career was made because channel 4 decided to make a documentary about her, if that never happened she would have just been another person in nxt. Because of the success of the Doc she was pushed to the front of the que. Her main roster run outside of her debut was extremely forgettable and then she became more famous for stuff outside the ring. She has always just had this smart mark darling tag because, well i actually don't know, do wrestling fans have a thing for goth girls?

I predict she will fall out with them within 18 months and leave.

3 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Really surprised there hasn't been more chat around Anti-vax pizza guy being used again. Faster fall from grace than Ellsworth. 

He was there to get battered again. All I've heard about him is that he's anti-vax and tried lying about it. I'd try to be more offended by it, but he was in a segment with Chris Jericho.