AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

Please don't. I'd have to watch Rampage on mute. It sounds like everybody else on commentary is getting sick. Of the incessant bollocks he spouts week on week as well. His commentary style sounds like he's feuding with one of the participants in the match and has to get himself over. The way Taz checks that at the door is brilliant. He'll have his gripe about Dante Martin to forward their beef, but will also put over what's going on in the ring. It's almost, dare I say, Heenan-esque? 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

BTE shown just how bad the attendance was at Dynamite, they booked a 20,000 seater in Raleigh, NC which supposedly has better fitting venues and the town's notorious for not being be a good wrestling draw anyway.

So I'm not sure it's indicative of AEWs current popularity but more of a bad venue choice.

• Paid Members

Dailly's Place is their home arena. The touring stuff can be good, but those Jackson ville crowds are usually pretty hot and I like the layout of the arena. 

It becomes less special each time you see it though, ‘The Be Sharps Effect’ if you will. I wouldn’t be against them having a specific PPV there once per year, and obviously the forced residence due to the pandemic was an anomaly, but if you keep going back there every 6 weeks or so, it just becomes another place.

It seems like Excalibur is announcing  “AEW will be returning to Chicago...” every other week, and eventually they need to show some growth and run other towns rather than the same trusted markets over & over. Even that place they ran in Miami (the one where Malakai Black debuted) wasn’t anywhere near as full the second time because they’d only been 3 months prior, and that was after they brought in Punk, Bryan and whoever else in the meantime.

It must suck to have only shifted half your tickets though. When it was new they were seen as the company would get instant sellouts (I seem to recall Meltzer making some ludicrous claim they could’ve sold over 100k tickets for one of the early PPVs). A couple of years on and with the novelty of being new having worn off, perhaps we’re seeing how big the wrestling market actually is

Edited by WyattSheepMask

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Please don't. I'd have to watch Rampage on mute. It sounds like everybody else on commentary is getting sick. Of the incessant bollocks he spouts week on week as well. His commentary style sounds like he's feuding with one of the participants in the match and has to get himself over. The way Taz checks that at the door is brilliant. He'll have his gripe about Dante Martin to forward their beef, but will also put over what's going on in the ring. It's almost, dare I say, Heenan-esque? 

Spot on with Taz. He'll talk about Dante as this amazing athlete then pipe up "yeah! that's why we wanted him on team Taz." He gets the balance.

An issue with venues as well is there are still lots of bands and acts making good on 20/21 dates so booking something new can be a take what you can for now

Edited by Louch

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It must suck to have only shifted half your tickets though. When it was new they were seen as the company would get instant sellouts (I seem to recall Meltzer making some ludicrous claim they could’ve sold over 100k tickets for one of the early PPVs). A couple of years on and with the novelty of being new having worn off, perhaps we’re seeing how big the wrestling market actually is

I do wonder how much Omicron is a factor at the moment as well. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still budgeting my time to what I'm doing, so I'm doing less in public overall - if I went to a packed wrestling show a month or two ago, I don't know that I'd rush back. 

They might do well to spread people out in situations like that - would it look better to have half the blocks empty or all the blocks half-empty?

I wonder if these marathon tapings are contributing to a bit of burnout? I don't really understand the need for these 2hour+ Dark tapings anymore. I get that they want everyone's face on the card, but these constant squash matches can't be helping to actually develop talent.

Wouldn't it be better to do a few actual 'dark' matches before the Dynamite/Rampage tapings, and give guys like Wardlow the chance to work longer matches with experienced guys? Plus something like Wardlow vs Danielson for example would be appealing to ticket buyers.

2 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I wonder if these marathon tapings are contributing to a bit of burnout? I don't really understand the need for these 2hour+ Dark tapings anymore. I get that they want everyone's face on the card, but these constant squash matches can't be helping to actually develop talent.

Wouldn't it be better to do a few actual 'dark' matches before the Dynamite/Rampage tapings, and give guys like Wardlow the chance to work longer matches with experienced guys? Plus something like Wardlow vs Danielson for example would be appealing to ticket buyers.

They don’t tape dark at TV unless it’s a stand alone rampage to make good on it being an hour show. You get elevation which is under an hour and more of a warm up like dark matches are at wwe tapings. 

• Paid Members

It has to be worse than when they used to do Heat before Raw and Velocity/ECW before Smackdown. It sounds more like when they used to tape the three hour Nitro then the two hour Thunder back to back. 

Mind you Impact manage to tape 4-6 weeks of TV and sometimes an impact plus special over the course of three days. Mind you that'd only be 3 hours at a time.