AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

5 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Think it came through Jim Barnett.

Bob was on Jericho’s podcast earlier this year and covered the whole thing - https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/talk-is-jericho/id767016946?i=1000558348878

Thanks, I’ll give that a listen!  The chapter in Bobs book on his time in WCW is great. Nash introduced him somas on the road. 

• Paid Members

Got positively giddy just now trying to plot out how the Punk vs. Moxley feud might go. Presumably, Punk is eventually going to need some back-up against the Blackpool Combat Club, and Samoa Joe is right there. Random TV tag main event of Mox and Danielson vs. Punk and Samoa Joe? Tony Khan making the only sensible call, Moxley going over at the PPV, and then transitioning the feud into Danielson vs. Punk and Samoa Joe vs. Mox for the title? That gets the Supremo stamp of approval.

Edited by Supremo

There seems to be some back and forth over the Mox in the prolonged Walls of Jericho spot. For those that don't know if watching through a FITE stream (I think the commentary would have made it obvious to you), the vast majority of it to the US audience happened in a Picture in Picture ad break.

The people arguing it should have happened outside the ad break seem to have missed the point to me. The spot seemed specifically designed to burn through a PiP. If it didn't happen there it probably wouldn't have happened at all.

• Paid Members

It was a further example of Moxley being the absolute greatest and most interesting wrestler on the planet today.

Everyone else might have their own style but they’re mostly all singing from the same hymn sheet. You do a dive before going to ad break. You waste some time during the ad break by doing a rest hold or randomly walking around the ring. You start the comeback after returning from the ad break. You do the shocked face when they kick out of your finisher. You only bleed during big main events.

Or - in the case of Moxley - maybe you travel everywhere, wrestle in front of everyone, perform on the biggest of Tokyo Dome shows to the smallest of dive bars, start properly experimenting with psychology and pacing, and end up revolutionising the whole fucking medium. The amount of success he’s had doing everything people would normally be taught doesn’t work for a mainstream audience is a genuine thrill to watch. He’s doing Bloodsport matches on national television and it’s working! It’s amazing.

The Walls of Jericho spot during the ad break was absolutely inspired. I was gripped. Such great selling, I was utterly convinced the finish was going to come in the ad break and Jericho was winning the belt. I doubt a single person switched the channel.

Even the bleeding thing, I’ve done a complete 180 on it. I fucking love it. He’s supposed to be a world class competitor, only fighting the very best. He would bleed all the time. Nobody watches a Nate Diaz fight and complains he’s always bleeding. That’s what happens when you get punched in the face for a living and don’t give a shit about sorting out your scar tissue.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
On 8/13/2022 at 8:30 PM, Supremo said:

Even the bleeding thing, I’ve done a complete 180 on it. I fucking love it. He’s supposed to be a world class competitor, only fighting the very best. He would bleed all the time. Nobody watches a Nate Diaz fight and complains he’s always bleeding. That’s what happens when you get punched in the face for a living and don’t give a shit about sorting out your scar tissue.

Yeah, but Diaz isn't fighting on TV every week. And now the blood adds nothing for a Moxley match, it's expected, it doesn't add drama unless he keeps one upping himself (a great example being the tearing the earing out). And constantly going bigger is a bad path to go down.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Yeah, but Diaz isn't fighting on TV every week. And now the blood adds nothing for a Moxley match, it's expected, it doesn't add drama unless he keeps one upping himself (a great example being the tearing the earing out). And constantly going bigger is a bad path to go down.

I completely get your point but I'm not sure he's even attempting to generate the type of drama blood would normally be used for. He seems far more inclined to give every one of his matches an aura of reality and brutality.

You're not supposed to be shocked and it's not supposed to generate heat or sympathy. It's used to just add to the general sense of violence, which I think it does every single time. Watching him smash Jericho's head in as they're both pouring blood was an amazing, brutal, terrifying visual, regardless of how many consecutive matches he's bladed in.

I'm aware I'm biased because I think he's fucking brilliant, but what little information he's given away in recent months (mainly on Renee's podcast), it seems his main goal this year has been to build up the Blackpool Combat Club as the most violent group of double-hard bastards. He wants it to be the modern-day Hart Dungeon, where it's a badge of honor to come through it, giving you an extra level of authenticity and legitimacy. Everyone who's ever worn a BCC T-shirt always bleeding everywhere certainly accomplishes that. They're the best faction in forever.

I honestly think a lot of the criticism of him blading comes from how we've all been taught to critique pro-wrestling, but this lad is playing Checkers whilst everyone's complaining he's not doing Chess the way the sheets taught us is best. At the most basic of levels, are the crowds sitting on their hands? Or can I list every match (of the year candidate) he's had this year where the finish has elicited a huge reaction as this blood-soaked nutter found a new way to legally commit murder? He's a one-man, razor-obsessed version of the Young Bucks. All the experts will tell you that what they're doing doesn't work. And yet you watch it work wonders every time.

Gilette (in every match). The best a man can get.

Edited by Supremo