The videogames on sale thread

RedRooster

11 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I know the game has been out for donkey’s years, but last week I picked up Limbo on PSN for just under £2. Been meaning to play it for absolutely ages and really enjoyed it

Don't know if it's on sale, but grab Inside when you get the chance. Same developer, same type of game, and in my opinion slightly better. Both great though.

• Paid Members

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/crossfirex-ultimate-package-inc-campaign-battlepass-dlc-xbox-one-series-xs-pre-order-ps1369-no-vpn-required-at-xbox-store-iceland-3882115

The upcoming CrossfireX complete bundle for £13.69. Half the campaign and multiplayer (which I don't really give a shit about) are coming to Game Pass so you might want to try before you buy, but the campaigns are made by Remedy so I'm aleady long sold!

• Paid Members

No, there's no reinvention of the wheel there that seems to be needed for a linear FPS to be allowed to exist for some. CoD isn't the dirty word to me it is to a lot of people (although I've only liked 2 of the last 7 games), done well it can be a fun ride, that's what I expect from Remedy's take. Easy Allies preview likened it as the Black successor I've always wanted. Blockbuster shooters without RPG shit, open-worlds and other types of bloat aren't so generic right now, there really aren't many upcoming or recent options that'll scratch the same itch for me. And at a budget price.

I tried Far Cry 6 recently and I accepted it was going to be bloated going in, I accepted that if I was going to see it through to the end (hahaha) I was going to have to spend double-figures worth of hours in menus and crafting, but fucking hell, it wouldn't even let me just shoot people during the shooty bits! You have to swap out your fucking bullets depending on who you're shooting at. Enemies prone to normal jabroni bullets won't be damaged by armour piercing bullets!

Inject CrossfireX straight into my veins.

On 2/1/2022 at 6:41 PM, The King Of Swing said:

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition currently £7.99 on the Switch store. 

Worth it? 

I wouldn't recommend it, it's not aged particularly well. Perhaps, if you've nostalgia for it, you'll feel differently; but even with that in mind, I think it's quite a bad port. I'm more of a console gamer, but even with that in mind, I think it's a game that fits much more comfortably on a PC.

Edited by RedRooster

There's an excellent sale that's just launched on the Switch eStore, so I thought I'd pick out some of the best deals (and highlight some hidden gems too) 

XCOM 2 Collection (£3.99, 90% off)

XCOM 2 Collection Review (Switch) | Nintendo Life

This isn't a hidden gem, but it is, frankly, an astounding deal. I bought this when it first came out, and at the time, while there were bugs and performance issues, I was willing to make the trade-off to play this game portably. I believe some of the issues that I faced have been patched out, but even if they hadn't been, I'd still recommend you buy that at this price. It's one of my favourite ever strategy games. 

Nexomon Extinction (£9.34, 45% off)

Nexomon: Extinction | Nintendo Switch games | Games | Nintendo

The best ever Pokemon game that isn't actually Pokemon. The script is sharp, and has a lot of fun with many of the tropes in games like this, and the storyline is surprisingly strong. The gameplay? Well...it's Pokemon, minus the gyms. I absolutely loved it, and ploughed more than 40 hours into it trying to catch every monster. If you like monster catching games, you should definitely pick this up. 

The Darkside Detective (£4.09, 65% off)

The Darkside Detective | Nintendo Switch download software | Games |  Nintendo

A point-and-click adventure in the same style as classic LucasArts games. The puzzle solutions generally aren't as obscure, and although the script isn't quite as sharp, it definitely filled a void in my gaming life. If you enjoy point-and-click games, you'll probably like this, if you can get over the fact you're obviously not playing it with a mouse. 

Valiant Hearts: The Great War (£4.80, 70% off)

Valiant Hearts' first episode is now free on iOS - Polygon

One of the few games that genuinely made me cry. The story is masterfully told, and the gameplay more than matches it. It's not a long game, but it doesn't have to be. If you only buy one game on this list, I'd highly recommend you make it this. It's just wonderful. 

Splasher (£3.24, 75% off)

Nindie Spotlight: Review: Splasher [ Nintendo Switch eShop ]

I have no idea why people are generally unaware of Splasher. It's created by some of the people who worked on Rayman Legends and Origins, two superb games in their own right, and it might actually be one of the best 2D platformers on the entire system. It's like a cross between the Rayman games and something like Super Meat Boy or Celeste (with the addition of a paint gun, that adds a really fun dynamic to the game) and it's an absolute blast to play. The soundtrack is also amazing - just take a listen to this playlist. 

Not a Hero: Super Snazzy Edition (£2.33, 80% off)

NOT A HERO: SUPER SNAZZY EDITION for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

A game by the people behind OlliOlli, that no one seems to know about it. It's a simple premise. You play hitmen, who are hired to help an anthropomorphic rabbit from the future called Bunnylord get elected. See? Simple. The gameplay itself is a little like elevator action crossed with a 2D Hotline Miami. It's fast-paced, violent, frantic, and challenging. I love it, and for £2.33, it's an absolute steal. 

The Stretchers (£12.59, 30% off)

The Stretchers | Nintendo Switch download software | Games | Nintendo

This isn't as cheap as some of the other games on my list, but it's a co-op game along the lines of Overcooked, published by Nintendo. It's great fun to play, and laugh-out-loud funny at times, thanks to the ragdoll physics. It's great fun to play with a friend, or with your kids, even if it's a little on the short side. Best left wanting more than wishing it was over, I suppose. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

There's almost always something going on with a special offer on the switch eshop. The February Frenzy sale has some good discounts at the moment. 

King Of Fighters 15 is out soon, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some fighting games getting a discount in the next couple of weeks on PSN/XBox Live. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Might pick up Assassins Creed Origins on Xbox Store. It’s about 15 quid and my girlfriend has a five pound voucher that she says I can use for it. I’m loving Odyssey and believe a tenner is belting value for it?

I preferred Odyssey, but Origins is fun enough too.

If you still haven't played Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, it's this week's free PC game on the Epic Games Store.

It's a kind of puzzle adventure where you control two characters at once (using both sticks on your controller), but there's a unique moment towards the end that really elevates the whole experience (and doesn't translate at all when simply watching on YouTube, so don't bother going down that road - just play the damn thing).