The videogames on sale thread

RedRooster

• Paid Members
On 6/1/2022 at 12:01 PM, Accident Prone said:

I currently have a subscription to EA Play that has 11 months left to run on it, will using this deal fuck that up?

• Paid Members

Humble Capcom Bundle. This is pretty good for just over £15. Ultra Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 5 plus the Champion Edition update so you have all of the characters and costumes, Devil May Cry 5, Monster Hunter World, Dragon's Dogma. Not bad. 

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/capcom-summer-2022-bundle?utm_content=cta_button&mcID=102:629f92205ada454a11074464:ot:56c3e576733462ca8942421b:1&linkID=629f92220463c17c3b37ee35&utm_campaign=2022_06_08_capcomsummer2022bundle_bundle&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_medium=email

• Paid Members

It's a cracking game. Lacking a little in single player content, but a heck of a game.

Some absolutely cracking deals on the Switch eShop right now, so I thought I'd highlight some of my favourites. 

Underhero (£4.58, 70% off)

UnderHero | Nintendo Switch download software | Games | Nintendo

Far too few people seem to know about this game. It's clearly heavily inspired by the Paper Mario series (when it was good) and it's a great premise. It starts off at the final battle of a standard RPG, and the hero loses (this isn't a spoiler, don't worry) - from there you play a minion of the game's main villain, carving out your own place in this post-hero world. I loved it, and at this price it's an absolute steal. 

Monster Sanctuary (£5.43, 66% off)

Monster Sanctuary

Another game that barely anyone talks about, and it's a real shame. The graphic advertising it on the eShop looks cheap as fuck, so I can understand why someone might scroll right past it. But you shouldn't. It's a side-scrolling monster-catching game, in a Metroidvania style. It's a unique combination that works incredibly well. You use the powers that your monsters have to gain access to new areas of the game world, and explore further. This game deserves far more attention than it gets, it's brilliant fun. 

Katamari Damacy Reroll (£3.99, 75% off)

Katamari Damacy REROLL | Nintendo Switch download software | Games |  Nintendo

I'd imagine you're aware of the Katamari series, but if you're not - basically you're rolling an object around so that things stick to it, and the aim is to get your ball as big as it possibly can be by the end of the level. Easy, and very addictive. And for £3.99, if you don't own this, you really should pick it it up. 

Boreal Tenebrae (£1.67, 72% off)

Static Hex: Switch Over To Boreal Tenebrae

Normally, if I recommend this, I do so with an asterisk, but at this price it's easier not to do that. In short, it's a Twin Peaks/David Lynch-style horror game with an excellent story, and a compelling game world. Or rather, that's what it is at its best. It's often confusing, and, when I played it at least (it may be fixed now), it's also plagued by bugs. The ending also feels very abrupt. In spite of these issues, I couldn't put it down and found it utterly captivating. It won't be for everyone, but I'd say it's worth finding out if it's for you at this price. 

Shadows of Adam (£6.74, 50% off)

Shadows of Adam PS4 Version, Physical Release Announced – RPGamer

I'm a sucker for a good JRPG-style game, and that's exactly what this is. Inspired by old school Final Fantasy games, Shadows of Adam has an entertaining storyline and a fun battle system. It's also only around 12-hours long, meaning it's not going to suck up all of your time in order to complete it. For me, that's a strength, rather than a weakness. If you like JRPGs, I'm pretty confident in suggesting you'll have a great time with this. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Tekken 7 Definitive Edition which includes all of the DLC is currently £18.99 on PSN

Its down from £94.99…

Have I missed the offer? It says £94.99 when I checked.

There's one hell of a sale on the Switch eShop right now, so I thought I'd share some more of my favourites, and hopefully encourage you to pick up some of overlooked gems. Or bore you by banging the (mostly) indie game drum. Either way, here goes...

Towerfall (£4.49, 75% off)

TowerFall | Nintendo Switch download software | Games | Nintendo

This is one of my favourite multi-player games on the Switch. It's by the team behind Celeste, and looks incredibly similar. The gameplay is very different, though. You battle it out with fellow players to be the last person standing, with a range of fun weapons. It's one hit kill, and it's fun, fast-paced and frantic. It's a brilliant laugh. Fun fact - the game was originally an Ouya exclusive (remember that?)

Kaze and the Wild Masks (£8.99, 67% off)

Kaze and the Wild Masks | Nintendo Switch games | Games | Nintendo

No one seems to be aware of this brilliant platformer, and I've no idea why, although my best guess is the high price point when it's not on sale. Good new though, it IS on sale! If you like the Donkey Kong Country series, this feels pretty similar. It's essentially a modern take on a 90s platformer, and if that sounds like something you'd enjoy, you'll probably love this game. 

A Hat in Time (£12.59, 50% off)

A Hat in Time Review - Platformer Variety Show (PS4)

I played this 3D platformer round about the same time as Super Mario Odyssey, and I genuinely think this is a better game. It's so damn creative. One minute, you're exploring a haunted mansion, as you're chased by a (frankly, terrifying) ghost, the next, you're playing detective, trying to solve a murder. It's just brilliant. A word of warning, though - the load times on Switch are VERY long. If you can pick it up on PlayStation, Xbox or Steam, I'd recommend you do that instead if that sounds like it would bother you. The load times are minimal on other systems. That said, I feel like it's a price worth paying to play it portably. 

Journey to the Savage Planet (£9.99, 60% off)

Journey to the Savage Planet review | PC Gamer

Kind of a Metrodvania game, I suppose? You're exploring a mysterious planet, which is full of fun surprises to discover. The game is also genuinely funny, and made me laugh out loud more than once. There are missions to complete, but really, you're free to explore and do whatever you like. Although I completed the game, I spent a lot of time experimenting to see what would happen if I did X, Y or Z - and I had a blast doing so. It's a brilliantly creative game. 

Door Kickers Action Squad (£4.72, 65% off)

Door Kickers: Action Squad on Steam

You can place this solo, but it's so much better if you don't, and co-op it with someone. Basically, you're breaking into buildings, rescuing hostages. You can also play it online, so even if local co-op isn't an option, you can draft in a friend that way. And it's so much fun if you do. Plotting out how you're going to bust into a room and rescue someone, then watching the plan unfold, or, alternatively absolutely arsing it up, is a blast. 

UnMetal (£8.99, 50% off)

UnMetal on GOG.com

Basically, a parody Metal Gear/Metal Gear Solid-style game, with a brilliant sense of humour. Jokes are subjective of course, but I found this genuinely hilarious. In addition, the stealth game play is great! It's piles of fun, and is extremely creative. If you like this genre, I'd recommend you pick this up. 

18 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

There's one hell of a sale on the Switch eShop right now, so I thought I'd share some more of my favourites, and hopefully encourage you to pick up some of overlooked gems.

I love posts like this. So much more useful than a web of reviews and trailers and Let's Plays. Just tell me with a picture and a paragraph what it is and why I might like it, and you'll likely be more successful than the highest paid marketing team out there.

I do have to disagree on A Hat in Time though, sadly. I really wanted to like it, pitched as it was as a successor to the best 3D platformers of yore, but I got frustrated with the first boss and most of what I'd played until then hadn't impressed me, so I wrote off my losses and moved on. Much preferred Yooka-Laylee.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Hat in Time but I would never in a million years put it above Mario Odyssey. Brilliant write-ups Rooster. When I get home later I'll see if any of the gems I have on my Switch are on offer and give you some recommendations.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

I enjoyed Hat in Time but I would never in a million years put it above Mario Odyssey. Brilliant write-ups Rooster. When I get home later I'll see if any of the gems I have on my Switch are on offer and give you some recommendations.

I think, in part, it was down to my levels of expectation for each. I was expecting Odyssey to reach the heights of Galaxy or 64, and while I loved it it didn't quite reach that level for me. On the other hand, I was expecting a straightforward platformer for A Hat in Time - and it's anything but that. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I do have to disagree on A Hat in Time though, sadly. I really wanted to like it, pitched as it was as a successor to the best 3D platformers of yore, but I got frustrated with the first boss and most of what I'd played until then hadn't impressed me, so I wrote off my losses and moved on. Much preferred Yooka-Laylee.

The boss battles can be frustrating - I'd actually forgotten about that - but personally, I love the variety in the levels; they're all so different from one another, and constantly surprised me. Funnily enough, I didn't like Yooka-Laylee that much, so maybe we have slightly different tastes in 3D platformers! 

• Paid Members

Not to hijack your posts @RedRoosterbut here's a few on sale that I already own I'd happily recommend.

Fast RMX (£11.89 instead of £16.99)

fastrmx.jpg.9992414738c0fd2fc9bb2220dfcf2ca9.jpg

A very well made F-Zero/Wipeout style futuristic racer, and while it doesn't reach some of the peaks of either of those games, does fill a gap in their absence as up until they recently added F-Zero X on the N64 there wasn't anything like it. Sets itself apart by having a Gradius (was it Gradius?) style colour switching gimmick so swapping at the right time over boosts and pads can make or break a race. Has single player campaign, 4 player splitscreen and online so plenty to do over 30 tracks.

Fatum Betula + Paratopic Bundle (£1.79 instead of £8.99)

fatumbetula.thumb.jpg.c65c4efcc70ed54757752535539f5f45.jpg

I haven't played Paratopic but it's cheaper to get both in the bundle than just Fatum Betula which isn't on offer solo.
Fatum Betula is a bizarre 1st-person semi-horror puzzle game made in that strange PS1 style you see a lot of indie horror games made in these days. You have to find things to feed to a magical tree by exploring an island filled with weird characters and puzzles. It's like Myst on drugs. There are about 10 endings to get and I thoroughly recommend it if you want a truly unique puzzle adventure game with weird elements.

The Long Reach (£2.59 instead of £12.99)

longreach.png.b29ee5c2ab2e8687e5f324ec55b64636.png

Another horror one, this time you're exploring a lab in New Hampshire and shit goes sideways pretty fast. It's a pixelated 2D side-scroller that has elements of Resident Evil, Stranger Things and Clock Tower. I'll be honest I played it a while ago now and don't remember much of what happens other than big story bits I won't spoil but it's a decent horror and it's short so you can do it in a few hours.

The Way Remastered (£0.89 instead of £13.49)

theway.thumb.jpg.4fe22bf424edef84255e4c919b43ece8.jpg

It's a 2D platform adventure game very similar to things like Flashback and Another World about a scientist trying to bring back his dead wife who stumbles upon an ancient alien race who might just be able to help him do it. If you liked those games or things like Abe's Odyssey, Heart of Darkness, etc then you'll love this. Full of puzzles, gorgeous graphics and a decent story. I don't think I've ever seen it not on sale but having finished it, I would argue it's worth full price.

• Paid Members

Since I see a lot of adventure-y stuff there you might appreciate checking out Colin Spacetwinks on Twitter. Every time there's a big sale on gog or Steam they do recommendation thread like those, mostly focusing on older/more obscure titles. I've found some interesting gems that way in the past.

Link to their latest one: