The videogames on sale thread

RedRooster

Very much enjoyed your post @FelatioLips - I’ve picked all of these up aside from Fast RMX (I’ve never been a huge fan of racing games outside of Kart-type racers) 

I’d been considering trying The Way for quite some time, and I’d not heard of your other recommendations, but they sound great. 

• 1 month later...

Disco Elysium: The FinaL Cut is on sale on PS4 and recently was on sale on Steam.

I think it might be the best game I've ever played. I'm not a big gamer, so take anything I say with a pinch of salt. I mostly play sports sims (racing games, Virtual Pool 4, and baseball) and then dip into the nostalgia basket of old favourites like Resident Evil (when it was third person) and Monkey Island.

is-disco-elysium-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4-and-switch_feature.jpg&width=1032&sign=J08IjURK9e06fGpZ7bE7kO5IFYlA5gVsxQr2mYDaa70

In fact that last comparison is fairly apt: though more serious and literate in tone, it shares some DNA with Monkey Island's irreverent point-and-click conversational style. Here it's isometric rather than 2D.

Instead of a hubristic pirate you play a detective who spent the night before the game started so paralytic and aggressive that you made the barmaid quit. Now you've got full-blown (though temporary) amnesia. Around the back of the inn you're staying at is a dead body and your partner is tut-tutting at you downstairs. Your belongings - badge, gun, case notes - are all gone.

There are lots of games that incorporate moral decision trees that lead to an outcome, I'm led to believe, and I can't talk about how this one is specifically different. What elevates this game is not just the superior art style, but the writing of the dialogue and the excellent handle on politics - both monetarist and cultural. It's a world where racism is real in the sense of believing in eugenics and the superiority of one race over another, and it's a world where communism, fascism, free market capitalism, and some old fashioned 'moral values' are trying to assert over one another.

There's no combat - just conversations and snooping around. I've died several times - of heartbreak, strangled by my own tie, gassing myself while trying to chin a lippy kid - and for a game that is very much invested in the idea of exploration and not trying to strongarm the game with favourable stats, I have ballsed up quite a bit.

Even for people like me who are suspicious of cop portrayals in this year of our lord should find something in this - there's no thin blue line shite here.

It's like playing an Alasdair Grey novel. No less a compliment.

Are there any good prices on PS5s at the moment or is it still a fucking desert?  Stray has finally tempted me into a next-gen console but they seem awfully pricey.  I need the disc drive one as well as I still watch DVDs like an old person.

Prices won't drop and have no reason to for a long time yet, they're being snapped up at full price the moment they get restocked. Does Stray even make much use of the console, it feels like a last gen focused game so likely has minimal upgrades.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:41 AM, sevendaughters said:

Disco Elysium: The FinaL Cut is on sale on PS4 and recently was on sale on Steam.

I think it might be the best game I've ever played. I'm not a big gamer, so take anything I say with a pinch of salt. I mostly play sports sims (racing games, Virtual Pool 4, and baseball) and then dip into the nostalgia basket of old favourites like Resident Evil (when it was third person) and Monkey Island.

is-disco-elysium-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4-and-switch_feature.jpg&width=1032&sign=J08IjURK9e06fGpZ7bE7kO5IFYlA5gVsxQr2mYDaa70

In fact that last comparison is fairly apt: though more serious and literate in tone, it shares some DNA with Monkey Island's irreverent point-and-click conversational style. Here it's isometric rather than 2D.

Instead of a hubristic pirate you play a detective who spent the night before the game started so paralytic and aggressive that you made the barmaid quit. Now you've got full-blown (though temporary) amnesia. Around the back of the inn you're staying at is a dead body and your partner is tut-tutting at you downstairs. Your belongings - badge, gun, case notes - are all gone.

There are lots of games that incorporate moral decision trees that lead to an outcome, I'm led to believe, and I can't talk about how this one is specifically different. What elevates this game is not just the superior art style, but the writing of the dialogue and the excellent handle on politics - both monetarist and cultural. It's a world where racism is real in the sense of believing in eugenics and the superiority of one race over another, and it's a world where communism, fascism, free market capitalism, and some old fashioned 'moral values' are trying to assert over one another.

There's no combat - just conversations and snooping around. I've died several times - of heartbreak, strangled by my own tie, gassing myself while trying to chin a lippy kid - and for a game that is very much invested in the idea of exploration and not trying to strongarm the game with favourable stats, I have ballsed up quite a bit.

Even for people like me who are suspicious of cop portrayals in this year of our lord should find something in this - there's no thin blue line shite here.

It's like playing an Alasdair Grey novel. No less a compliment.

I like the look of Disco Elysium at the £16 it’s on sale for but not sure it’ll play great on console. 

41 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I like the look of Disco Elysium at the £16 it’s on sale for but not sure it’ll play great on console. 

I have it on PS4 and it works great. You lose some of the ease of PC nav - TAB to highlight all objects in the room you're in, for example. It crashed once on me and I did stop for a while.

It was recently about the same price on Steam so whatever works best.

For me I just like lying back on the couch and taking it all in, pad in hand. I said pad.

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I have it on Switch, and it plays brilliantly. I’d be surprised if the PlayStation adaptation wasn’t strong.

Already owning a digital copy of Disco Elysium on PC but I had to buy a physical copy on PS4 for £19.99 from GAME, it's one of those few games/devs I have no issue giving money to again. Plus it came with a poster, it's great to have things like that included when these days we don't even get a manual let alone cool extras.