The videogames on sale thread

RedRooster

31 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

In case anyone is wondering, pretty much all of these work well on the Steam Deck - they all seem to load up for me, and while I've not completed any of them yet, I've not noticed any issues at all. I've put the most time into Dragon's Dogma, which is a lot of fun and plays well without any tweaking at all. 

Have you heard that wolves hunt in packs?

• Paid Members

If anybody still plays Train Sim World 2 or 3 the TGV Méditerranée add-on Is free this week through your respective system's store. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2022 at 12:34 PM, Version1.0 said:

Please play Road 96. It's amazing. 

See story based games such as anything by TellTale and you get the picture.

On 6/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, RedRooster said:

I'll second this. I picked it up on the recent Switch sale, and it really is rather good. I'd been put off for the longest time when I heard the dreaded phrase "procedural generation" when the creators spoke about it. But it's one of the stronger examples of that.

On 6/29/2022 at 4:01 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

Saw Road 96 is reduced on XBox at the moment and gave it a look. Failed my first attempt spectacularly, but the second attempt went better. The setting and story is really interesting, the characters are all very broad, but serve the purpose of the story. Managed to cross with my second effort, but the exam I had to sit was really tense, especially when I forgot how old my character was supposed to be and put an answer that was barely plausible. 

This is on sale for a week at £5.93 on Steam, if anyone's interested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Couple of deals I picked up on the Switch over the last couple of days.

Phoenix Wright Trilogy (I think it was £9.99 but it's back to £29.99 as of this post)

phoenix.thumb.jpg.e35a38002a6fbbd50f931d38cb20b7ca.jpg

I'd only ever played the first game on my Ipod Touch, we're talking maybe 10 years ago now, but this one includes an extra episode for Ace Attorney, and then both Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations.
The basic gameplay loop is each case is broken down into so many Investigations and Trials. On Investigation days you talk to witnesses and other characters and investigate areas in a Point and Click setting, gathering evidence and clues. Then on the Trial days you go head to head with the Prosecution team by cross examining witnesses, finding inconsistencies and very satisfyingly shouting HOLD IT and OBJECTION until you break them down into a quivering mess.
So far I've finished Ace Attorney including the extra episode, and I've done the first stage (called Turnabouts) in Justice for All. If you like graphic novels or text based games with light puzzle solving and quirky characters then you'll enjoy these. I'd say they're best tackled in chunks as the final Turnabout especially was very long and I didn't quite know when to give myself a break and burned out on it. The Investigations are hit and miss, entirely depending on which characters are involved. The Trials are also hit and miss in terms of you knowing what you want to say but not clicking the right bit of evidence to say it.

I wouldn't recommend them for full price because there's a lot here that drags it down. The Trilogy version has some awful "upscaled" graphics that are basically the original charming sprites just smoothed over with a filter, and there are a lot of obscure puzzles that had me having to look up guides because too many wrong guesses give you a game over. Play them in small bits and they're pretty fun, but if you want something similar and in my opinion better then go find an old copy of Hotel Dusk on the DS.

Dungeons of Dreadrock (Was £8.99 now £1.79)

A fab puzzle game disguised as a classic dungeon crawler. Each year a male from the village is chosen to go and overthrow the Mountain King but so far none have been successful. This year your brother has been chosen but in a moment of panic you enter the cave after him to help defeat the King, but the deeper you get the more apparent things aren't as they seem.

The game is set out in 100 levels which comprise as little bite size rooms. You and the enemies move on a square grid, similar to The Immortal or Fatal Labyrinth on the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles, or Crypt of the Necrodancer but without having to move in time. Each room is a puzzle you must solve to move on to the next while slaying enemies, avoiding traps and meeting others who have entered the dungeon along the way.
It's a very addictive game due to clever puzzles, nice graphics and a pretty interesting story. If you get stuck on some rooms there is an optional hint system that drip-feeds you clues so even if you use them you still feel like you did the legwork. I'm 60+ levels in and there has been very little repetition in the puzzles and some very innovative stuff. Highly recommended if you want something you can pick up and play without much bother. Especially at that price point.

dreadrock1.png.2276b1b58be34def7190ad56ffecb2cf.png

dreadrock2.thumb.jpg.c6ac2a7a226648a2878a8546a4e741ca.jpg

Torchlight II (Was £17.99, now £4.49)

Excellent little Diablo style RPG. I don't even really need to say much about it to be honest, it's that similar. It's Diablo 3 but with different classes, cartoonier graphics and a less heavy storyline.
There are some things it does better like the Pet you have that you can send back to town to sell loot so you can carry on playing and the more unique classes like Engineer, Outlander and Beserker rather than basic Warrior, Mage, Thief, etc. It's also a little easier and has a definitive endgame that encourages replays on New Game+ rather than Diablo's "endless" endgame grinding.
There are some things it does worse like not having Split Screen multiplayer (just local internet and online), and not as much in the way of lore.

There's really not a lot to say. Do you like Diablo 3?
If so then you will like this and for £4.49 it's an insane bargain. If you're on the fence there's a very generous demo that lets you carry your save into the main game.

TorchlightII_Screenshot_02.thumb.jpg.d83751d84c82bd7e67f91474c9eaeee4.jpg

NSwitchDS_Torchlight2_03.thumb.jpg.3d20ac8cf0e79767a091555fa1f4adbd.jpg

• Paid Members

https://www.thegamecollection.net/extra-reward-points

The Game Collection are offering an extra £10 back in reward points for quite a few upcoming (and a some recently released) games. Their prices are always good as it is. I'd have been getting MK, Fifa, MGS and Spidey anyway, getting the majority of a fifth game for free is pretty nice!

It does work for multiple games. You don't get the points until the game has shipped though.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

15th Anniversary Sale on GOG at the moment. Seven days left.

https://www.gog.com/en/promo/2023_gog_15th_anniversary?genres=adventure#Catalog

Got quite a few - also picked up WrestleQuest, which, though not part of the sale, has 30% off.

EDIT: Might want to clear the "adventure" filter from the search when you click that link.

Edited by Carbomb

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I’ve already got it preordered from Amazon. 9 times out of 10 I get the game on the day of release, which hasn’t happened when I’ve bought from other places. God bless Prime and the poor workers pissing in buckets to get me my stuff on time. But thanks though! 

I’ve not personally had issues when ordering from Curry’s, as far as release date deliveries go - but I wouldn’t want to be the person responsible for you not playing the game on release, so go with what you feel most comfortable with!

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I’ve already got it preordered from Amazon. 9 times out of 10 I get the game on the day of release, which hasn’t happened when I’ve bought from other places. God bless Prime and the poor workers pissing in buckets to get me my stuff on time. But thanks though! 

I could swear I preordered a game on Amazon once and it arrived the day before release.