The videogames on sale thread

RedRooster

Some nice little January deals for Steam users right now - I've selected these with the Steam Deck in mind, keep in mind that some of these games will be cheaper on other systems, I just like to play them portably. Everything below will work well on the Deck - I've played them myself:

Persona 4 Golden - £14.44 (via Fanatical), was £17.99

6f940eee-d215-4ed1-92d0-0dfae6995327.png

This game has aged quite badly in terms of its social attitudes - but it's still a good time on the whole, with a strong story. You're looking at a JRPG with at least 70-hours of gameplay, potentially more depending on the choices you make and difficulty level you choose. 

Kerbal Space Programme - £7.49 (via Humble OR Steam), was £29.99

d393792997ca01960a6843a5f6eb381895866662.jpeg?auto=compress,format&fit=crop&h=425&w=741&s=2849ab1cb218de7a038dda007f2bca8c

I really hated this game the first time I played it, in spite of the near-universal praise it got. Replaying it in 2023, I've no idea why I felt that way. The idea is, that you're running a space programme and sending the cute little Kerbals into space. You get to build rockets, space stations and more; using them to explore the galaxy. Of course, part of the fun is experimenting, and seeing what happens when you do certain things. The learning curve is a little steep, but once you've got the hang of it, there are hundreds of hours of gameplay here. It's incredibly addictive, and works great on a portable system. There's also brilliant mod support, if that's your kind of thing. 

Celeste - £3.74 (via Humble), was £14.99

ad073ec08bc780537c02dda045438149a562a3c8.jpeg?auto=compress,format&fit=crop&h=425&w=741&s=785cf0c378b4eaf0aa6274b37ca81e42

One of the best platformers of all time (in my opinion) for just £3.74? Yes please. If you've not played Celeste, it's a brutally hard 2D platformer (not a million miles away from Super Meat Boy, gameplay wise) with a surprisingly deep and emotional storyline. The gameplay is outstanding, and it has a real "just one more try" factor about it. It always feels like you can overcome the obstacle that's in your way, even if it takes you dozens of tries. While the gameplay itself is enough to keep you hooked, that compelling storyline that I mentioned will drag you in even further. I LOVE this game. 

Unpacking £10.84 (via Humble) - was £15.49

1f5b28256bc2c2b0e3320d2fc474bb73f10f22af.jpg?auto=compress,format&fit=crop&h=425&w=741&s=7ec8ff3568fe5e35f65d5f98a0f6fe50

I've not checked to see if it's still there, but this was on Game Pass - so keep that in mind before considering a purchase. Regardless, this is one of the most relaxing puzzle games I've ever played. You unpack things, and fit them in rooms. That's it. But it works so incredibly well, both as a game concept, and as a way of telling a story, and helping you learn about the person whose stuff you're unpacking. It's honestly really good, and I suspect a lot of the people who gain satisfaction from games like Powerwash Simulator will also get a lot of satisfaction from giving this game a try. 

Subnautica £12.49 (via Humble) was £24.99

e182b6b20bb797500f9f63c561586d920d44e37c.jpeg?auto=compress,format&fit=crop&h=425&w=741&s=f1ee3a66ab5e5c17dec476b5dc4c74f3

Another game that is weirdly relaxing, despite combining what I normally consider to be the very worst in gaming - water and survival mechanics. You explore a giant underwater world, looking to survive - and it's a tremendous experience. I typically hate survival games, but this doesn't lean heavy on that aspect of the experience. You scavenge, build bases and explore some more as you look to get away from the planet, and discover what exactly happened there. It's the kind of game you can put hours into, while also only ever playing it in short bursts - it's a brilliant Deck experience. 

6 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Celeste - £3.74 (via Humble), was £14.99

The gameplay is outstanding, and it has a real "just one more try" factor about it. It always feels like you can overcome the obstacle that's in your way, even if it takes you dozens of tries.

Not for me it didn't, sadly. I really wanted to get into this game after hearing such praise for its story, but the difficulty's ramped up to "fuck off" territory almost from the start. Platform games are among my favourite genres but I lacked the patience for this one.

• Paid Members

Unpacking is great. The story gets sad in places, but has a genuinely happy ending. It can be so cathartic as well. 

I was so enthused by reviews of Unpacking that I went and bought the game and all its DLC upfront. Except I hadn't. I'd bought slapstick multiplayer Moving Out instead, and all its DLC. corkhill.gif

14 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Not for me it didn't, sadly. I really wanted to get into this game after hearing such praise for its story, but the difficulty's ramped up to "fuck off" territory almost from the start. Platform games are among my favourite genres but I lacked the patience for this one.

It's definitely not one for people who hate purposely hard platformers. You're right about the difficulty - but that's part of the appeal for me. I can completely understand why someone would give up on this quickly, but I find games like that incredibly addictive!

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Same here, I tried playing this a few years back. Really loved it from the start, but within about an hour of gameplay I was stuck fast and just had to give up on it. I have always sucked at platformers, yet still find myself wanting to seek out good ones. This one was just way too hard for a casual gamer like me. For the same reason, I never even bothered trying Cuphead, despite absolutely adoring the aesthetic.

I haven't tried Celeste but many of these modern ultra hard yet well reviewed platformers just fall flat for me, I think Dead Cells is really the only one that stuck with me. Even the super Souls inspired ones like Blasphemous with it's gorgeous Christian like imagery were put down after a couple of hours.

4 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I haven't tried Celeste but many of these modern ultra hard yet well reviewed platformers just fall flat for me, I think Dead Cells is really the only one that stuck with me. Even the super Souls inspired ones like Blasphemous with it's gorgeous Christian like imagery were put down after a couple of hours.

I completed Blasphemous and it's probably the best thing I will ever achieve. 

Edited by Ironic Indie Lad

54 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Funnily enough, I didn't like Dead Cells at all. I really wanted to, but it's a rare exception of a game of that genre which I just couldn't get into. Maybe I need to give it another chance. 

4 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Funnily enough, I didn't like Dead Cells at all. I really wanted to, but it's a rare exception of a game of that genre which I just couldn't get into. Maybe I need to give it another chance. 

There is a Castlevania themed update coming to it soon which is where I will attempt to get back on board with this.

1 hour ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

There is a Castlevania themed update coming to it soon which is where I will attempt to get back on board with this.

Ooh, that sounds interesting. I recently played Symphony of the Night for the first time on my Vita, and it's really left me hungry for more. I mean, I know this will be hugely different, but I'm still intrigued. 

Edited by RedRooster

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Capcom have slashed some of their prices in the 3DS/Wii U eshop with it being the final month. These prices are in US Dollars, but hopefully they wouldn't be too different in the UK. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/03/capcom-3ds-and-wii-u-games-available-for-just-usd2-99-in-final-eshop-sale-us