The videogames on sale thread

RedRooster

The Amiga 500 Mini is £74.99 in the Amazon Prime Day sale - if you're an Amiga fan, it's well worth the purchase. It's very, very easy to load in games via USB, the in-built games are fun, and it's nice and compact - very easy to fit under your TV. As someone who grew up with an Amiga rather than a Nintendo or Sega console, it's packed with nostalgia - and I've been really surprised at how many games hold up well. 

• 4 weeks later...

Humble Bundle has a fantastic Black Friday sale right now, with Humble Choice members saving more money on top of that. If you're not a member, depending on what/how much you want to buy, it may even end up being economical to sign up for the month. WWE 2K23 is one of this month's free games. 

A few pics from me (keep in mind, it may be worth holding off for the Steam sale to compare prices)...

Rollerdrome (£8.24, 67% off) 

64c388a589c8fd4d0eefedbf_game-gallery-06.jpg

I'm not the only person on the forum who has expressed their love for this game in the past. I've seen it described as being like Jet Set Radio with guns, but for me, it's more like Tony Hawk's with guns. Ultimately though, it doesn't fucking matter - it's great fun. It plays really well on the Steam Deck too, if you have one. 

FTL: Faster Than Light (£1.64, 75% off)

ftladvancededition0410141280jpg-a29c53_160w.jpg?width=1280

I really hate roguelike games. FTL is, technically, a roguelike game - but that description doesn't do it justice. Every playthrough is a new story, as you try to escape your pursuers to fulfil your mission and save the galaxy. Lots of random events face you along the way, allowing you to expand your crew, trade or fight off space-pirates. It's thrilling in a Vampire Survivors type way, without being anything like that game - it has that 'just one more try' factor to it; an in spite of being really, really hard; the way it plays out means that you don't ever think of it as being difficult - it's an adventure with obstacles that feels varied and exciting. The problems you face along the way just build on the narrative you're building up. You can probably tell, but I LOVE this game. It also works on Steam Deck. 

En Garde (£9.59, 40% off)

En-Garde_XJYEwMn.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&fit=bounds&quality=70&format=jpg&auto=webp

I have no idea why this game isn't better known. It's short (which suits me down-to-the-ground) but insanely fun. I've never really played a game like it. I've seen it described as being like Dark Souls with fencing (and a lighter tone); but I'm not a Souls-fan and I enjoy it, so make of that what you will. In short, it's a blend of light platforming and genuinely fun swordfights. And it's the fights that really sing here - they're so creative and enjoyable. It's about the element of surprise, and utilising your surroundings to catch your enemies off guard - maybe you toss a barrel at them, kick a table an enemy is standing on or cause a chandelier to fall on their heads. The fighting feels thrilling, and when the game finished I was left wanting more. Once again, it works well on Steam Deck. 

Coromon (£8.37, 50% off)

d.png

I played this one on Switch, so I've no idea what it's like on the Deck (from what I can tell it was pretty buggy on the system, but they've patched it up now) but I really enjoyed it. It's a monster catching game along the lines of the GBA Pokemon games. Unlike most monster catching games, the protagonist isn't silent - which I found weirdly jarring at first, but you get used to it. If you like Pokemon, particularly the older games, I suspect you'll enjoy this. I played the fuck out of it. 

New Super Lucky's Tale (£7.49, 70% off)

New-Super-Luckys-Tale-02.jpg?fit=1920,1080

I'm a sucker for a good 3D platformer, and that's exactly what this is. A PS1/PS2-era style platformer with very solid gameplay that you can easily play either by yourself, or alongside your kids. When Super Lucky's Tale originally came out, it was panned critically - and I avoided it for the longest time because of that. New Super Lucky's Tale is an improved version of that game, and it took me some time to twig on to this. I don't know what the problems were with the first game, but all I can say is that this works very well indeed. If you enjoyed games like Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie, Spyro or Croc then you'll probably enjoy this. It's a lot of fun. 

I might do another one of these posts when I've had a better look at what's on sale, but hopefully this will give you a few ideas if you're looking for recommendations. 

38 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Just acknowledging how awesome @RedRooster is at these kind of recommendations and reviews. I'll be buying some of these as a result, and genuinely hoping you do the Steam sale too, because I'm Steam-Decking it and picking up on stuff I've never played in my 15+ years in gaming wilderness.

That's a lovely thing to read, thanks Chris. For what it's worth, I think you're one of the best posters on the board in both on and off topic scenarios. Even when I disagree with you, you come across as such a lovely person I actually end up feeling bad for not feeling the same way as you, even though that's the whole point of a discussion forum! You're an all round standout person, on a board full of them. 

I'll definitely do the Steam sale - there are some brilliant pick-ups on there. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

That's a lovely thing to read, thanks Chris. For what it's worth, I think you're one of the best posters on the board in both on and off topic scenarios. Even when I disagree with you, you come across as such a lovely person I actually end up feeling bad for not feeling the same way as you, even though that's the whole point of a discussion forum! You're an all round standout person, on a board full of them. 

I'll definitely do the Steam sale - there are some brilliant pick-ups on there. 

As long as you feel bad, that's all the thanks I need.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

So, the Steam sale is now live...I'm going to try to avoid some of the obvious picks here, but given that almost every game has some level of discount it goes without saying that it's potentially a great opportunity to pick up that game you've had your eye on. 

All of the below work on Steam Deck. 

Her Story (85p, 90% off)

MV5BMzRlYmVlOTgtYTNlMy00MTE2LWEzZmMtZGU5NjBjY2ZkZjliXkEyXkFqcGdeQXRyYW5zY29kZS13b3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_.jpg

This game won't be for everyone, but needless to say, at 85p it's probably worth taking a chance on if you're intrigued by it. It's a narrative adventure in which you're watching police interviews in which a woman is telling 'her story' - that being, the story of her dead husband. He's died, she's a suspect. There's a bit more to the story she tells than that, but as you watch video clips, you unravel more of the story and draw conclusions as to what happened. It's really unique, aided by a strong performance by the  lead actress. I've not personally played much else like it. As I say, it's not going to be for everyone, but I thought the story was tremendous. 

Omori (£11.61, 25% off)

ss_72e19b9ca001c03084b9eb7f5665514e60a6a6dd.600x338.jpg?t=1671584768

Admittedly not the biggest discount you'll find, but Omori is one of my favourite games ever, so I'll always take the chance to sing its praises. It's inspired by the likes of Earthbound, and in some ways is similar to a game like Undertale - but the dark undertones of the world are far more bleak. This game packs an emotional punch, and is genuinely unsettling and disturbing at times, which isn't immediately apparent when you start out. I found the narrative engrossing, and the final stretch of the game had me in utter disbelief. The final boss is one of the most memorable battles I've ever fought in a game, with incredible background music helping create a moment I thought about long after the game finished. I recommend this game with a caveat - if you struggle with depression or could be triggered by dark, potentially upsetting themes involving children this may be one to avoid. It's one of the best structured narratives I've experienced though, and I highly recommend it in spite of my content warning. 

Hylics (£1.24, 50% off)

ss_fd3cb1f3ef414642d8f811d7f59420cc93d52eff.600x338.jpg?t=1447377715

Where to even start with this one. The gameplay in Hylics is pretty bare bones. It's a JRPG, but its description on its Steam page is pretty accurate - 'a recreational programme with light JRPG elements'. When the game begins, you're given little in the way of instruction. You're a weird moon-headed man in a claymation world that is utterly surreal. The dialogue is bizarre, and while there was a definite risk of this game becoming style over substance, I really enjoyed it. It feels otherworldly, and the dialogue made me laugh out loud at times. It's a really weird game, but the world created here - as linear as it is - is one you want to explore. It's perhaps more of an experience than it is a game, but that's OK. At £1.24, I'd not hesitate to recommend it. Maybe it won't be for you, but I doubt you'll have played anything like it. 

Murder House (£6.50, 30% off)

ss_1a7a15f38e2698ac425db9f7103ab626afa8ffc6.600x338.jpg?t=1669836425

A PS1-era style survivor horror game with a really gripping story. It's also pretty stressful - if you struggle with games like Alien Isolation, this might not be for you. Basically, it's like playing your way through an 80s slasher movies, with PS1-style visuals that add a whole new layer of disturbing to the game. It invokes that feeling of playing an 18-rated game when you were far too young, the visual style is incredibly effective. The story revolves around you being part of a news crew filming in the house of an executed serial killer, and then things, as they always do in these games, take a wrong turn. If you like survival horror with a retro feel to it, you'll have a good time with this one. 

Wave Break (£11.61, 25% off)

ss_ce11f820fae3bb1789e8e0e8cc9febe11f880507.600x338.jpg?t=1657301592

As with Omori, this isn't the biggest discount; but no one seems to know about this game so I wanted to include it. It's Tony Hawk's Skateboarding, with boats and guns. It is, admittedly, a little limited as far as content goes; but I had a great time with it anyway. The 80s-inspired synth soundtrack is also tremendous. If you liked THPS, I think you'll feel similarly to me about this one. It's really enjoyable and well worth £11.61. 

Crystal Project (£8.24, 25% off)

ss_fa5f427c5b20add6711ef41a83f8e6ca6d4a5659.600x338.jpg?t=1699820288

I'm a little surprised no one did this sooner. It's like an open world version of the original Final Fantasy game. The story is a little on the thin side, so initially I just wasn't into it; but as I kept playing I began to appreciate the game for what it is. The mechanics are strong, the world is fun to explore and it's great to play while you listen to a podcast in the background. There's actually quite a lot to do in the game, and the emphasis very much is on making your own adventure. Add a stronger central narrative, and you have an all-time classic. As it stands, you have a very, very good game that is a lot of fun to play. It has a demo, so if you're unsure about it give that a go and see what you think. 

Mini Motorways (£6.47, 10% off)

ss_605e3ca3cea0ce5dd5d784e51afd7a1b681f9443.600x338.jpg?t=1667780984

Not a huge discount, but a tremendous price for what you're getting regardless. The aim of the game is to build roads connecting a city to ensure the traffic runs smoothly. Once things get out-of-control, you lose and your current run is over. This might sound boring, but it's kind of like a strategic version of Vampire Survivors - relatively short runs that make you want to try, and try again to beat your previous accomplishments. And when I say 'strategic', the strategy elements are on the lighter side. This game is stupidly addictive, and holds broader appeal than the concept might suggest. 

The Henry Stickmin Collection (£5.99, 50% off)

ss_feebecca4b7aa568e2ac2c3d0aa0a60795addf56.600x338.jpg?t=1619212064

I guess this is a point-and-click adventure game? More accurately, it's a collection of short scenarios in which you have to find the right solution to ensure Henry meets his goals, otherwise bad things will happen. You never really feel stuck, and the scenarios are all very entertaining. It's one to play in short bursts between games, and I quite like that aspect of it. It also made me laugh-out-loud more than once. Failing is part of the fun in this game, and often I'd deliberately do something stupid just to see what happens. 

Enderal: Forgotten Stories (Special Edition) (Free..kind of)

ss_b94393d97abb1692944b61031f0ec8564f4613cb.600x338.jpg?t=1664588447

Enderal: Forgotten Stories is a total conversion mod for Skyrim, hence the 'kind of' above. At the moment, Skyrim Special Edition is £6.99, with 80% off - and if you own that game for another system, it's worth buying just to play this mod. The writing is strong, and the game world is interesting and really enjoyable to explore. It's an entirely new world to Skyrim, and it's astounding that it's available for free. I felt bad about not paying anything, so I bought the soundtrack on Steam to support the developer. It worked well on Steam Deck for me, and although I've read about people experiencing crashes, I had no issues whatsoever. It's genuinely worth buying Skyrim all over again just to play this, it's really that good. 

Moonstone Island (£13.40, 20% off)

ss_03b36a8df8397f3bfdddfeb33bb1825dae3167b0.600x338.jpg?t=1700559357

This game tries to do a lot of things at once, and I generally think it does them well. It's like Stardew Valley, with farming elements and dating; but it's also like Pokemon as there's monster catching. Except, the battles are card-based encounters, so there's deck building. There's also quite a large world to explore, and secrets to uncover. It's not as deep as any of the games it's inspired by - a symptom, no doubt, of trying to do so many things at once; but it's still very, very good. It's easy to sink hours into this game and not realise that you've done so, and even though its inspirations are obvious, it still manages to have an identity of its own. I really like it. 

• Paid Members

If Her Story appeals then I can't recommend Immortality enough. It's another Sam Barlow joint but really pushing this format about as far as it can go.

You're piecing together three films, including table reads, rehearsals, and other incidental video material - and uyou unlock new footage by selecting objects in the scene (faces, paintings, furniture, ashtrays etc) and getting a match cut to another piece of footage. Has some meta stuff pulling it all together but I could have spent hours without that just meticulously combing through footage and getting overjoyed when I found a clip I hadn't seen before. Truly fascinating game.