The videogames on sale thread

RedRooster

This thread might work well, or might die on its arse...but given that the January sales are in full swing, I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where we can share bargains worth taking advantage of, both now, and in the future.

I'm hoping it'll be particularly helpful from a digital store point-of-view, given how badly organised some online stores are - I'm looking at you, Nintendo eShop. 

To kick things off, I'll share a few recommendations of my own, hopefully some of you will find them helpful. 

Firstly - for Nintendo Switch owners, Deku Deals is a really helpful way of finding out what deals are worth paying attention to on the eShop, the disorganised mess that it is. 

Being that I'm a big Switch gamer, I thought I'd share a few recommendations of my own...

Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling (Half-price at £13.49)

Paper masterpiece – Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling review – GAMING  TREND

If you liked the original Paper Mario games, you'll enjoy Bug Fables. I would be astounded if you don't. It's a clone of the original two games - the formula is the same, the humour is there, as is (as you can see) the visual style. Although it's a clone, it's a fucking brilliant clone, producing the kind of game I'd wanted to play since finishing The Thousand Year Door. 

Overcooked (£1.79, down 90%), Overcooked 2 (£4.99, down 75%) and Overcooked: All You Can Eat (£14.99, down 50%)

Overcooked All You Can Eat is coming to more platforms, with expanded  crossplay on the way - The Verge

The Overcooked series might be my favourite co-op games ever. If you're unfamiliar with them, in short, you and a friend are chefs, and you work together in a series of bizarre kitchens to create dishes as quickly as you can. It's so much fun. The All You Can Eat edition incorporates the first two games and all of the DLC, but really, given how cheap they are I'd probably edge towards recommending you buy the first two games as standalone, ignoring the DLC, unless you really want it. This is a great game to play with kids, if you're looking for something like that, but really, it's fun for anyone. 

Steamworld Dig (£1.79, 80% off) and Steamworld Dig 2 (£4.49, 70% off)

SteamWorld Dig – Official Website | Image & Form Games

The Steamworld games are among my favourite ever indie games, and £1.79 for the first one is one hell of a bargain. In short, you're a miner. You dig to find minerals, upgrade your tools, then dig some more. But there's so much more to it than that. There's a surprisingly strong story on top of this fun gameplay loop. The soundtrack is really strong, but you can easily play this with the sound down, listen to a podcast and get just as much enjoyment from the game. Steamworld Heist and Steamworld Quest are also on sale - two very different games to Dig 1 & 2, but still worth considering (particularly Heist, which is a great tactical RPG). 

Screencheat (£1.61, 85% off)

Screencheat: Unplugged for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

One of my favourite multiplayer games; if you have a few friends round it's an absolute blast to play. It's an FPS, where you can't see your opponents, so you have to look at their screen to work out where they are. Honestly, it's so much fun, and for £1.61, you're buying yourself a brilliant time. 

Murder by Numbers (£5.99, 50% off)

Save 50% on Murder by Numbers on Steam

The investigation sections of Phoenix Wright, but with added picross puzzles - that's what this game is, there's really no other way of summing it up. I love it. If that description sounds appealing to you, pick this up - you'll really enjoy it. 

Grindstone (£7.54, 50% off)

Grindstone for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

The most addictive puzzle game I've played in years - I clocked up around 45-hours on this one, for my shame. You kill the correct number of beasts, linking chains of similarly coloured beasts, in order to open the door and progress up the mountain. If you only pick up one game from my recommendations, make it this one - it's so bloody fun. 

So...spotted any bargains? Feel free to share your own, and feel free not to go into the same level of detail that I did!

• Paid Members

Picross S1 is just over a fiver for Switch, which is a good offer as the Picross S titles rarely drop below £7. I might just get the latest one though, because despite being £9, it's the only one compatible with touch controls (which makes the Dr Kawashima stylus perfect for it).

Humble Choice is currently a quid for the month if you're a new subscriber. There's a decent selection and you get the entire lot, I pretty much just got it to try Partisans 1941 which is a stealth combat game like the old classic Commandos but you're killing Nazis.

Lacuna looks like a great little Point & Click, similar in style to Gemini Rue or Technobabylon which were both 10/10 Sci-Fi games.

You can claim the Steam keys and instantly unsubscribe.

Seems like it may not be available for everyone, not sure if it's account specific for people who have bought bundles or owt before.

spacer.png

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I loved Overcooked - it's a favourite of mine and my sisters. Half the fun is us just going to pieces halfway through a service.

Epic Games have been doing loads of free giveaways every day. They're currently giving away all the newer Tomb Raider series for Steam.

• Paid Members

Beneath a Steel Sky - GOG - Free (remastered version also available on mobile)

beneath.jpg.eac25cacbd8ac413e71bb18a237ca59d.jpg

Classic Point and Click adventure game set in a post-nuclear dystopian steampunk Australia. Made by Revolution Software (Broken Sword series) and Comic Book artist Dave Gibbons (Watchmen).
Of this genre, probably the best I've played.
Simple interface, interesting puzzles, memorable characters and an excellent story. Has that classic charm that early UK games like this have where everyone speaks in exaggerated local accents. 
Not a massively long game, but without cheating some places will keep you stuck for a while and there are a couple of different endings. Highly recommended. GOG version comes with downloads for the Dave Gibbons comic book that is used as the intro, plus some wallpapers, the original instruction manual PDFs and extra booklets.

Beyond a Steel Sky - GOG - £17.99 (was £29.99)

atewjfy43KATozuGnLtD4j.thumb.jpg.4043c3cb96cb7754906ac7b0f9418bab.jpg

Revolution Software and Dave Gibbons return with a sequel set 10 years from the original based on what would be considered the "good" ending.

No longer a basic point and click, the game utilises Unreal Engine 4 to give a cel-shaded, free-movement point and click with more in common with the likes of Grim Fandango. The dialogue options and general feel of it have hints of Telltale Games offerings but without timed choices or drastic variations in story.

While some of the puzzles are more interesting and the character work is still brilliant, it does lack the charm of the original and doesn't offer anywhere near as much in terms of unique areas or unique characters. What you get is great, but could have been more. For a game set 10 years in the future there are very little connecting threads to the point where their absence is a huge hole; except for one or two returning characters I won't spoil.

A much longer game of about 8 hours compared to the original which on first playthrough is maybe 2 or 3. Some great QoL changes made too including an optional hint system customisable options.
Worth the price if you like this genre but highly recommended you play the original first as despite the main story being explained at the start there are whole portions of this game dedicated to the original which would be a waste.

Despite all the improvements and upgrades, I still prefer the original but this isn't bad by any means.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Beneath A Steel Sky is great, if retro point and clicks are your thing. I never knew there were different endings! I might have to give it another play through. Don't think I'm that bothered about trying the sequel. 

There's only two!

Spoiler

Either you choose to sit in the chair at the end or you ask Joey to and that's the canon ending that moves over to the sequel

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Beneath A Steel Sky is great, if retro point and clicks are your thing. I never knew there were different endings! I might have to give it another play through. Don't think I'm that bothered about trying the sequel. 

I also had no idea, I completed it on the Amiga back in the day, and assumed ‘my’ ending was the only one. I’ll definitely be picking up that GOG freebie, cheers for the tip-off @FelatioLips!

• Paid Members

For those Overcooked fans among you, I'd heartily recommend Moving Out, which is at £4.99 on Nintendo Store at the moment (75% off).

It's a physics-based "furniture moving simulator" that shares a lot in common with Overcooked in terms of being significantly better as a co-op experience, crazy characters & similar humour.

I love Overcooked, but this gets way more play in our house.

• Paid Members

I think they gave this away on XBox Live last month? It definitely looks more suited to multiplayer. 

Selfishly I’ve been wary about sharing this one in case they sell out of these, but 365 Games is a tremendous place to get rare games at a reasonable price, particularly for the 3DS. I just got Samus Returns from them at a far lower price than I would second hand. It’s just a brilliant place to get new games. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Some great deals in the Lunar New Year sale on XBox at the moment. @Keith Houchenmay be interested to hear that the deluxe edition of TSW2 Rush Hour is £8.99 at the moment and features 6 routes. The three "base" TSW2 routes, and the three from the Rush Hour season ticket.

• Paid Members

What XBox have you got? It can be a bit janky on XBox One still, but for that money I'm probably going to pick it up and wait until I can get my hands on a Series X. Whenever that may be.

If you picked up any of the routes for TSW2020 they should all get imported into TSW2 as well as part of their "Preserved Collection".

Edited by jazzygeofferz