AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

I've slightly more belief in the Rampage dates being used for ROH than the AEW Women show. Just because ROH tv can be put on Honor Club and nobody will really care.

If AEW Women had a TV deal we'd probably have heard about it by now as it would need to be in the schedules. Doing another youtube show wouldn't really add anything.

All I know is turning up for a Rampage taping and getting two hours of Dark/Elevation would be depressing.

46 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Oh, to have the optimism of those still convinced ROH will be getting its own show or ran as it’s own entity in the future.

This is it folks. We might get a few ROH PPVs a year, but I don’t expect much else.

You know what, I'm not even optimistic, I can't be doing with it, just figure that would be the best way of doing it, as at the moment, they have titles that are very very close to meaningless. Some things need to be left behind and I think either go big or go home with these never ending titles, it's daft. 

I think you can pinpoint the start of the current decline of AEW to the purchase of ROH.  Tony got a new toy and the rest of the playset got pushed a bit to the side.

For a certain fan ROH represents this pinnacle of indy wrestling but for the rest of the audience it was that odd little show on the weird Christian network.  Signing someone as big as Joe and using him like this… just sad.

Joe & Claudio hived off from AEW for it. FTR sidelined for the matches with the Briscoes. Mercedes Martinez might not have done too much different. It has given Wheeler Yuta & Daniel Garcia a little something to do that's about it.

Gates of Agony look to be a decent tag team from what i've seen. Better than Bear Country/Iron Savages. They're in hiding and not even used on the Dark circuit to get some reps. Willow Nightingale would probably have been used even more that she has.

Brian Cage was signed up again with no real plan. Feels like a waste of money. He would have been picked up by someone. CYN need some new blood.

Still would have been stuck with Jay Lethal due to the Satnam links.

17 hours ago, Supremo said:

Oh, to have the optimism of those still convinced ROH will be getting its own show or ran as it’s own entity in the future.

This is it folks. We might get a few ROH PPVs a year, but I don’t expect much else.

I mean, there’s no reason it couldn’t. Turn Dark or Dark Elevation into ROH, and boom, ROH has a show. I wish they’d either bite the bullet and do that, running it primarily as a developmental show, or just scrap ROH completely and run some unification matches to merge the titles with AEW belts. 

@Lokiis completely on the money with what he says. I’d not considered this until reading his post, but he’s absolutely right.

51 minutes ago, Loki said:

For a certain fan ROH represents this pinnacle of indy wrestling but for the rest of the audience it was that odd little show on the weird Christian network. 

This. People into ROH act like it was bigger than it was due to who came out of it, but when it was thriving it rarely made a dent into the popular fans attention. Tony was a fan who still thinks it’s a big deal, when it’s been replaced by his company who was doing what that did but better and to bigger audiences. It’s nostalgia booking 

37 minutes ago, Louch said:

This. People into ROH act like it was bigger than it was due to who came out of it, but when it was thriving it rarely made a dent into the popular fans attention. Tony was a fan who still thinks it’s a big deal, when it’s been replaced by his company who was doing what that did but better and to bigger audiences. It’s nostalgia booking 

ROH was for those fans who were above sports entertainment, almost like Stewart Lee fans and stand up. But it’s frankly moribund now because those fans have AEW for that type of snobbery

All of the above is absolutely right. It's like someone coming into money and going to buy Man Utd based on how much they loved them as a kid. Although at least they were hugely successful at one time. The best ROH has done is built up people to be successful elsewhere and then disappear up NJPW's arse for far too long.

• Paid Members

While it may be tying into the ROH stuff annoying everyone, the Dax/Claudia pre-match was lovely, especially in a couple of weeks with so much weird shit flying around. "You're great and you'll win titles, but not this one." "You're great and I'm the underdog, but I'm going to try my best."

Genuinely a nice change of pace.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

The best ROH has done is built up people to be successful elsewhere and then disappear up NJPW's arse for far too long.

But that’s what that type of fans like. They will be quick to tell you they saw Danileson wrestle in the function room of a social club. Great, so did others but they enjoyed his WWE stuff too. They’re the wrestling equivalent of music bores who preferred a band before they got famous. The sort who hated TWC because unworthy plebs like me got access to their exclusive club. Thankfully though, these pricks are few and far between these days. 

32 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But that’s what that type of fans like. They will be quick to tell you they saw Danileson wrestle in the function room of a social club. Great, so did others but they enjoyed his WWE stuff too. They’re the wrestling equivalent of music bores who preferred a band before they got famous. The sort who hated TWC because unworthy plebs like me got access to their exclusive club. Thankfully though, these pricks are few and far between these days. 

Yeah it's weird. I've never been one for cultish company behaviour. I saw plenty of guys wrestle down at Orpington Halls before they got famous and I've just enjoyed following their journeys and watching them succeed because I know they've worked their arses off for it. I always saw companies like ROH and NJPW etc as added content rather than ones that ever replaced WWE for me, especially because they were so different. But as King said above - most of those idiots have fucked off to Twitter and argue over E Drones or whatever the fuck it is and how many Youtube clips Kenny got vs Roman or whatever else. I'm sure Tony has a few burner accounts to get involved. There's no way he could resist.