AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

Just clicked that Cody and the iiconics , who are missing impacts show tonight, where both at the Cardona/green wedding last week. Probably where the 3 of them got pinged from close contact you’d think 

• Paid Members

Adam Cole and Jake Atlas was a decent match until Atlas did his knee with that springboard. 

Dustin Vs Sammy could be a great match. Cody must be gone for a while if they're crowning an interim champion, as it'd feel a bit daft if they stuck the "interim title" on him for a couple of weeks. It'd be nice to see Dustin have a little run with a belt, though. 

Hook is over like river. He's got such a big upside and his style is quite unique. So much charisma. 

It worries me that the heels got a bigger pop than the babyfaces in that women's tag match. Ruby doing her Rob Conway impression singing her own entrance music on the way to the ring, then the crowd not really bothering to sing along when she tries to get them to was quite sad. If Hayter and Britt do end up falling out I wonder whether it'd lead to a Britt Baker face turn. 

That main event was pretty wild. Then Jericho makes himself the centre of attention at the end. He's turning into Hulk Hogan. 

If Jeff Hardy does end up coming in we can have Matt & Jeff Vs Matt & Jeff. Heck it'd be V1 Vs 2.0

If the covid contacts came from Cardona & Chelsea's wedding I wonder whether they'll end up having to drop out as well? Hopefully they've not just decided to go all WWE and skip tests because they've got big matches tonight. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Mark Henry, grinning ear from ear, still doing the, “it’s time for the MAIN EVENT!” thing when all hell has broken lose and all the main event participants are already scrapping backstage. Fantastic.

”We are Hookers!” chants. Lightning in a bottle. He’s the most exciting thing going today. There are worse ideas in the world than just making Rampage the HOOK show. I’m sometimes guilty of having Rampage on in the background whilst I do other things. Not when HOOK’s music hits though. Can’t take my eyes off him and his glorious hair!

I like the Interim Title thing. Feels like what a real sport would do after booking a title fight and still wanting to deliver when shit hits the fan. Pure sports-orientated presentation, right lads? So we can stop harping on about that now, yeah? Cheers.

Dustin to win the Interim Title, dragging another classic out of a Cody in a Unification match, before somehow forcing him to stop the nonsense and properly turn heel.

Chris Jericho is like a fucking Dementor, sucking the life out of everything he’s involved with. This week’s commentary suffered massively for having him back at the booth, with Starks and Taz unable to bounce off each other anywhere near as much as they did when Jericho was stumbling around London, and then there was a noticeable sense of, “argh, fucking hell, do we have to?” when he ran in at the end and the closing shot of what was a really fun match was him and his embarrassing hairline.

I swear, the way Kingston, Ortiz and Santana barely acknowledge he’s even there, not even making eye contact when he’s in the ring with them, it’s borderline canon that he’s the shit older brother that everyone’s being forced to hang around with. Honestly, at this point, I want the conclusion of this feud to be all six of them turning on Jericho and sending him packing.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Ruby doing her Rob Conway impression singing her own entrance music on the way to the ring, then the crowd not really bothering to sing along when she tries to get them to was quite sad.

Like most punk rock fans, she comes across like a bit of a try hard phony. She seems like a lovely person, but her character is a bit sad and hard to get behind.

• Paid Members

Ruby is a lovely person and a great underdog babyface, but I think WWE made her play up the "punk rock" element far more than just being a scrappy fighter who won't give up, and she's taken the worst of that to AEW with her.

It's getting played up way beyond her real personality, and the thing about "the best characters are themselves turned up to 11" is that it only works if you know which bits to turn up, and I'm not convinced she's found that yet.

Cole putting the leg lock on the one that was hurt, but weak looking was bad enough, but that it got a replay then put on social media was highly avoidable 

Jake Atlas really impressed me, and he looked good in his Dark match too. I’ve no idea what he’s like as far as promos go, but he definitely has potential to be something more than a designated jobber.

I might be in the minority, but I think 2.0 are utter horse shit. Their promos are samey, their ring work is fine…but I’d rather see someone else get their TV time. I like Garcia, but 2.0 just grate on me, in a ‘change the channel, type way. 

Ruby Soho is another one who isn’t good enough to justify her push. Her mic work is average, her ring work is weak, I hope signing (assuming they do) people like Ember Moon reduces her prominence; at least until she finds her groove on Dark. Like @Mr Butternut Squash, I also hate her theme tune. Even if she did suddenly click, I’d probably still find it hard to enjoy her for that reason.

29 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Chris Jericho is like a fucking Dementor, sucking the life out of everything he’s involved with.

If he dropped the weak attempts at comedy, he’d be much better. He’s the Mrs Brown’s Boys of wrestling, his jokes peak at a level of ‘dire’. 

• Paid Members

It's a great song, we used to cover it in several of the punk bands I was in when I was younger. I don't get why they don't start it from the very beginning as it's got that very distinct bass intro that'd grab the crowd's attention, then she comes down the aisle to the first verse and gets into the ring just in time for everybody to sing the chorus, and her name. I don't think she'll ever manage to ascend above "decent hand" though. The last few weeks on Dynamite it's felt like her best performances have come because she's had the right opponents,and hasn't had to carry the match. I also have a feeling if Toni Storm was to end up signing Ruby would slip further into the shuffle because whatever she can do,I think Toni can do better, including being a bit punk rock. 

1 minute ago, RedRooster said:

If he dropped the weak attempts at comedy, he’d be much better. He’s the Mrs Brown’s Boys of wrestling, his jokes peak at a level of ‘dire’. 

There's a scathing burn if ever I heard one. Can't wait until he is wrestling somebody and that cheap dye starts streaming down his face. He's going to at best look like Wogan, and at worst look like Tony Khan's trying to push more "diversity" in his roster.

13 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's a great song, we used to cover it in several of the punk bands I was in when I was younger. I don't get why they don't start it from the very beginning as it's got that very distinct bass intro that'd grab the crowd's attention, then she comes down the aisle to the first verse and gets into the ring just in time for everybody to sing the chorus, and her name.

It’s all subjective I suppose, but it’s not for me.

13 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I also have a feeling if Toni Storm was to end up signing Ruby would slip further into the shuffle because whatever she can do,I think Toni can do better, including being a bit punk rock. 

I completely forgot that she was available, there’s a wealth of talent out there right now. That said, I really hope they do more with Leyla Hirsch. She’s so much fun to watch.

EDIT: I forgot to mention - I’m increasingly concerned about Andrade’s references to ‘needing a new assistant’, whilst interacting with Sting. I really, really hope I’m wrong, but I’m convinced they’ve decided enough time has passed to bring in Ric Flair. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

@RedRoosterit's nothing I'd ever use as entrance music, even if a wrestler was to use the title as her name, but it's a song I enjoy. The bass player from our band passed away, and when the rest of us have a catch up we'll usually stick it on and have a drink to his memory, so it does have some sentimental place with me. 

• Paid Members

Completely forgot to mention Jake Atlas! Thought he was great. A real sense of when RVD first came into WWE and was doing all those mad spots you’d never seen before. Hopefully he’s not too hurt. How long was he in NXT? I have absolutely no recollection of seeing him wrestle there.

Ruby’s solid, but not much more. My main takeaway from her AEW run thus far is that she desperately needs to stop doing the Performance Center Shocked Face™ all the time. Always shit.

• Paid Members

I've had some absolute howlers in my record collection in the past as well. Taste is subjective. 

@SupremoHe looked good from the little but I saw last night. Hopefully he isn't out for long.