The Tony Khan Is A Twat Thread

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Vince made a profit. 

True. But Khan has never struck me as someone who is arsed about making a profit. Which makes his ineptitude and cluelessness all the more frustrating. It would be nice to have a money mark who knew what the fuck they were doing for once.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

"Nepos" means "grandson" or "nephew" in Latin, though.

It does, but it's a loan word from Greek, hence the -os ending.  I defer to the Greeks as the Romans were an uncivilised bunch.  When used in "nepotism" it generally means son/daughter of nowadays, so I reckon it's closer to the Greek.  Anyway, nephew baby doesn't sound much better!

Edit: and honestly, this is more interesting a discussion than Sniff's Twitter diarrhoea.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Loki said:

It does, but it's a loan word from Greek, hence the -os ending.  I defer to the Greeks as the Romans were an uncivilised bunch.  When used in "nepotism" it generally means son/daughter of nowadays, so I reckon it's closer to the Greek.  Anyway, nephew baby doesn't sound much better!

Edit: and honestly, this is more interesting a discussion than Sniff's Twitter diarrhoea.

One thing to bear in mind is that almost nothing we get directly from Latin or Greek has anything to do with the source language, though - they're either mediaeval re-interpretations or neologisms that the ancients never used, or they're completely modern inventions by people using their best approximations of what ancients might have used for completely new concepts, or they've come to us via importations of words from the languages that evolved from Latin and/or Greek.

A quick swatch at the Wiki for "nepotism" tells us it comes from mediaeval Italian:

The term comes from Italian word nepotismo,[5][6] which is based on Latin root nepos meaning nephew.[7] Since the Middle Ages and until the late 17th century, some Catholic popes and bishops – who had taken vows of chastity and, therefore, usually had no legitimate offspring of their own – gave their nephews such positions of preference as were often accorded by fathers to sons.[8]

4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

True. But Khan has never struck me as someone who is arsed about making a profit. Which makes his ineptitude and cluelessness all the more frustrating. It would be nice to have a money mark who knew what the fuck they were doing for once.

Might not be too worried about turning a profit, but that doesn't mean he isn't trying to avoid losses.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

One thing to bear in mind is that almost nothing we get directly from Latin or Greek has anything to do with the source language, though - they're either mediaeval re-interpretations or neologisms that the ancients never used, or they're completely modern inventions by people using their best approximations of what ancients might have used for completely new concepts, or they've come to us via importations of words from the languages that evolved from Latin and/or Greek.

A quick swatch at the Wiki for "nepotism" tells us it comes from mediaeval Italian:

All this was explained in Britain's Lost Masterpieces the other day, and I will always believe Bendor over you pair of benders, unless either of you knows a lot about the works of Francesco Trevisani of course. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

unless either of you knows a lot about the works of Francesco Trevisani of course. 

I haven't listened to much Status Quo

This has become the thread equivalent of a dozen people shouting completely different conversations at one another in a nightclub. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

This has become the thread equivalent of a dozen people shouting completely different conversations at one another in a nightclub. 

I'm just off for a smoke. Can you watch my jacket for me, mate?