Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

And even if Santos wins, it’s a rematch of Shev’s most difficult fight since Nunes. I like the fight itself as well. We haven’t really seen Santos tested by a strong grappler yet and for Blanchfield it’s a big step up from the Meatball steamrolling. Good stuff. I know we’re overlooking Alexa Grasso but I just can’t see her being the one to stop Val’s reign myself. 

For some reason, I don’t think it’ll happen but if it does… woof. Should be lots of fun whilst it lasts. I don’t really like either of them, but on balance expect Chandler to win I think.

More active, decent wrestling pedigree. I’m going fakedown, Conor drops the hands and Chandler slips a shot over the top, drops him and finishes it with GnP..

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I want Conor to turn up & be absolutely mental. Full cocaine psychosis, like Hunter Thompson trying to teach a pilates class. Either being constantly late or totally no-showing but making it up to his team by buying them all Lambos.

Anything else will be wank.

• Paid Members

People will dismiss it as nothing but the timing of Dana announcing this on the same day as Fedor’s retirement wasn’t lost on me. I refuse to believe it’s a coincidence. Obviously getting McGregor back in the cage was his motivation but I absolutely believe Dana is petty enough and saw a little added bonus in dropping the news at the perfect time to render Fedor’s farewell an afterthought. It’ll work as well. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

People will dismiss it as nothing but the timing of Dana announcing this on the same day as Fedor’s retirement wasn’t lost on me. I refuse to believe it’s a coincidence. Obviously getting McGregor back in the cage was his motivation but I absolutely believe Dana is petty enough and saw a little added bonus in dropping the news at the perfect time to render Fedor’s farewell an afterthought. It’ll work as well. 

Absolutely. An awful lot of the announcements at the minute seem to be timed in such a manner to take eyes away from something else. Like Daz, I'm not sure it'll even happen. TUF throws a big wrench in the middle of things. It's probably needed as a way of delaying the fight until McGregor is through 6 months of being in the testing pool again, but it also means it gives him an extra long period to fuck something, or someone else, up. 

Chandler flattens him anyway. He should have taken Tony Ferguson up on his offer. 

• Paid Members

In the past it’s been about 3 months from the time TUF starts until the coaches fight. If that’s the same here then McGregor vs Chandler should be going down in August. TUF starts in May and wraps up mid August so I’m guessing there’ll be a big PPV in late Aug.

Like you say though, this all relies on McGregor not doing something stupid beforehand. I don’t wanna jinx it but one thing I’ll say about McGregor is that when he has a fight booked, he generally does make it to the cage. With McGregor it seems to be between fights when he has some downtime that the bad shit starts happening. It’s the Jon Jones return I’m more sceptical about actually going ahead. We’re exactly a month out from that one today and I still don’t fully believe it given Jones’ track record.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Yeah, imagine betting your annual business on Jon Jones fighting and Conor McGregor reliably attending the recording of a TV show. Will be astonished if either happens. Dana need a Powerslap.

To be fair to McGregor, he has done that in the past, even when he was already a megastar. I cant recall any issues with his last spell on TUF. And as Wand says, the guy has never pulled out of a fight, for injury or stupidity reasons. Bones Jones, on the other hand...

It's worth pointing out that rumours are the bout between Chandler and McGregor will happen at 170lbs, which changes quite a lot of things if that is true. At 155lbs I would have easily picked Chandler to win, but at 170lbs? Things could get interesting as he'll be giving away both height and reach, and most likely weight on the night. The key could be that McGregor isn't going to have to cut the weight.

I'd still pick Chandler to win, but I wouldn't be surprised if we something similar to the Eddie Alvarez fight.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Matchroom put out their full schedule today...also coincided with a price hike on the app which has already pissed a lot of people off. Looks like they've binned off PPV though.

The lineup is decent but not great for me:

20230206_171255.thumb.jpg.17851d073bb769597a274d17ed0b6a81.jpg