Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

20 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Same year Jones last fought yeah. 2020. But Jones has been out a few months longer,

I haven’t got a huge issue with Cejudo getting the shot just because he stepped away without losing it. But it does feel a bit weird and it’s not really helping Aljo’s reign that he’s having 2 defences in a row where the challenger is coming off a long layoff and probably isn’t the most deserving in the division. I never thought Dillashaw deserved his shot over Aldo. And I’d say both Chito and O’Malley have earned a crack on recent form. But what can you do? Cejudo never lost the belt so I get it. 

Yeah I don’t mind ol’lego head getting a shot as he didn’t lose the belt. Got a bit of a soft sport for him as I won a bit of money after betting on him to beat DJ in the second fight. 

Wouldn’t mind seeing Chito and O’Malley run it back but I guess you risk losing a contender that way. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Bruce85 said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing Chito and O’Malley run it back but I guess you risk losing a contender that way. 

Yeah after O’Malley beat Yan, the Chito rematch was what I wanted to see next but then they booked Chito vs Sandhagen for the end of March (thread coming soon) and I’m not complaining about that one either. Matchmaking the Bantamweight division must be the easiest job in the world. Throw pretty much any combination together in the Top 15 and you can’t miss. But yeah, the problem with a fight like Chito vs O’Malley 2 is it just eliminates a challenger. Not just that, a fresh challenger and one that actually deserves a crack at the belt on recent merit. I don’t know what’s going on with O’Malley now either. Beat Yan in October and there’s been zero movement on his next fight since. Not even rumours. And with Chito, Sandhagen, Yan and Merab booked, nothing stands out as obvious. I think the UFC might be deliberately keeping him available incase this Cejudo fight doesn’t actually materialise. If it doesn’t they can just slot O’Malley in against Aljo. And if it does, maybe O’Malley just serves as the official backup and weighs in just incase. That’s probably the best move when you factor in Aljo’s history with injuries and Cejudo’s layoff. Sterling vs Cejudo just feels like a fight that’s destined to get cancelled to me. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Is there any particular reason why Dariush is still not getting a title shot, though? The guy's on an 8-fight streak - fairly sure Gaethje and Poirier were on much shorter ones before they got shots.

EDIT: Checking Wiki, Gaethje was only one win removed from being beaten by Khabib before he got another shot.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Probably just down to lack of fan fair and unfortunately being in one of the most star driven divisions in the sport. It didn't help that Dariush didn't call his shot after the Gamrot win, instead he asked Elon Musk for a Tesla.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Probably just down to lack of fan fair and unfortunately being in one of the most star driven divisions in the sport. It didn't help that Dariush didn't call his shot after the Gamrot win, instead he asked Elon Musk for a Tesla.

"I've just gone through a period of a few years of putting my body through hell for several months on end at a time in order to risk my health to beat the crap out of another man who has done the same - if only I'd just said a few words about how I would like to fight for the belt, that would represent all the hard work, time, sacrifice, and personal risk I put in."

That said, I do get it, unfortunately. He knows how the UFC works, shitty though it is. 

• Paid Members

Now this is an interesting one. Which isn’t something we usually say about a Heavyweight fight. Had a feeling this was coming. I think I posted somewhere on here recently that it felt like nobody really wanted to face either of these two, so they’d probably end up slinging them in there together. 

Big test for Pav this. A 5 rounder against Blaydes is the ultimate barometer. Sergei’s looked great blasting guys away early lately. He could do it here. It’s not like Blaydes hasn’t been waffled early before. But it feels like this is the fight where we really get some proper answers about him.