Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I saw this announced and had to Google when Carano had last fought, because I was sure it was quite a number years ago... So I read that it was 2009, then I read 17 years ago and my head nearly fell off at that point because my brain just couldn't compute that 2009 was 17 fucking years ago. I even resorted to using the calculator on my phone to double check the maths on that! 

Posted

I caught Carano right at the end of her career and she was big at the time. I don't know where she stands at the top of most popular female MMA fighters, but for me, when I think about the history of women's MMA, she is in that top tier with Rousey, Cyborg and I'd throw Nunes in there as well.  Now hearing on here she hasn't fought in 16 years, my kids weren't even born yet, which feels crazy. 

If both are to fight again, fighting one another, rather then trying to go back into trying to fight the best in the sport is a smart move.

 

Posted

What a huge Announcement and it looks like no one knew before and found out like the rest of us with the posts and video.

It's completely flooded socials and now the biggest talking point and all attention on MVP and this card which will not sit well with Dana and the UFC and agreed with the boys are back podcast Dana will announce the full whitehouse card in the next two three days tops to try and take back the headlines and attention.

Ronda's not fought in ten years and carano hasn't fought since 2009 so it's going one of two ways either both train hard and it's massive or completely embarrassing and detrimental for both afterwards.

I can't wait to hear the rest of this card if there coming out the gates with this for the main event 

Posted

I mean, even when they were training hard, this is what Ronda’s boxing looked like
2230FCF4-5817-4581-AB8A-531E41B744F7.gif

it’ll be an armbar within the first minute I’d have thought

Posted

I think this is great, neither one is being fed to an up and comer so there isn't that usual feeling of uneasiness with these types of freakshow Boxing/MMA events. I am excited.

Hopefully MPV can build a semi decent undercard around it and start putting on regular shows to compete with UFC. Having the promotional vehicle of Netflix behind them will do wonders.

I am guessing Ngannou would be the most logical choice to headline their next card.

Posted

Oh without question this has to deliver a sizeable main card at least if not go for a smaller event with a known fighter in every fight on the card it's doubtful Jake is passionate about MMA and big prospects coming up to fill the prelims 

  • Paid Members
Posted
9 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I saw this announced and had to Google when Carano had last fought, because I was sure it was quite a number years ago... So I read that it was 2009, then I read 17 years ago and my head nearly fell off at that point because my brain just couldn't compute that 2009 was 17 fucking years ago.

Yep, it blew my mind as well, been following this shit a long ass time😄

Posted (edited)

I'm not a fan of Carano's, but the Carano vs Kedzie bout on the first Elite XC card is one of the most influential fights in MMA history. Without the success of that fight, it's possible that there wouldn't be a platform, in the form of the Showtime TV network, for Rousey and Cyborg to become stars in subsequent years, and in turn for the UFC to later feature WMMA bouts. 

Had the Carano vs Kedzie bout flopped, I am pretty certain WMMA would have spent far longer toping on the sport's fringes. 

Edited by jimufctna24
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I like this…

IMG-9546.jpg

Puts to bed the talk of Van being co-main on the Holloway vs Oliveira 2 card though. It’s looking like they’ll just bump Borralho vs De Ridder up as the 326 co-main now. But to be honest, I’m good with it. I’d rather these two fight with a proper training camp behind them than just being rushed onto a card on a couple of weeks notice. Cracking fight this. Possibly the youngest combined age of a title fight in UFC history? Van’s 24, Taira just turned 26. Does anything beat it?

This isn’t the 327 main event either. That’s still to be confirmed but there are a lot of rumours that a Jiri Prochazka vs Khamzat Chimaev fight is in the works to headline. And the talk is it’ll be for the Light Heavyweight title. So if that’s the case, that means Alex Pereira has vacated the belt and that can only mean he’s off to Heavyweight. Pereira vs Gane for the interim belt while Aspinall tries to regain his eyesight sounds likely in that scenario.

A lot of ‘ifs’ and it could all be bollocks but if this all turns out to be true, what a fucking mess. Not to mention, if Jiri vs Khamzat does happen for the 205 belt, where does that leave the Middleweight title picture? Because surely that would mean Khamzat has vacated at 185 as well, after zero defences. 

Edited by wandshogun09
  • Paid Members
Posted

Yeah, i think it's pretty much nailed on that it's going to be Pereira/Gane for the Heavyweight belt.

Fancy Taira to beat Van, excellent fight.

Posted

They were both past their best when they boxed in 2015, especially Pacquaio who suffered from leg cramps and who was always more reliant on hand/foot speed in his pomp. Add in the IV controversy, and what should have been the fight of the century was all a bit meh. It was closer to Duran vs Leonard 3 than Duran vs Leonard 1. 

Them boxing in 2025, while both are pushing 50 will be a spectacle, but it will be far more irrelevant than the first bout, at least in sporting terms (it'll no doubt draw a big audience). Amazingly, it's probably Pacquaio who has the most left in the tank at this stage. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...