Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted March 13 Paid Members Posted March 13 (edited) 1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said: Incoming has to be khamzat Vs Strickland Yeah 1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said: And maybe Conor?? Fuck that rapist. 1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said: They have had such backlash after the whitehouse card announcement they have to come big right?? Nope. Some alright fights announced but nothing earth shattering. An Apex headliner of Arnold Allen vs Melquizael Costa, which I love. An Apex headliner of Belal Muhammad vs Gabriel Bonfim, which I don’t love. The main event for Macau in May is Song Yadong vs Figgy, which would’ve been ace five years ago but Figgy looks washed up now. They’re feeding Beneil Dariush to Quillan Salkilld in Perth. Jan Blachowicz and Bogdan Guskov are rematching after their draw in December. Jeremy Stephens is back again, oddly after a loss to Mike Perry in BKFC, he’s facing King Green in a proper throwback fight, which I kind of like but in 2026? That’s about it. I really don’t wanna be negative and I don’t wanna sound like a broken record but they can’t…or maybe more accurately they don’t care about “coming big” anymore. Nor do they care about fan “backlash”. They don’t have the stars, they don’t give a shite. They’re making money hand over fist for a product that’s getting worse year on year. And there’s no real competition to force them to up their game. I’ve said it time and time again but fans really need to manage their expectations when it comes to Dana’s ‘big announcements’ these days. It’s not 2009 or 2016 anymore. Even the Khamzat vs Strickland announcement leaves me cold. Of course I’d like to see Khamzat strangle the twat but if we’re being honest they’re both cunts and the ‘epic’ buildup everyone’s looking forward to is gonna be absolutely rancid with Strickland doing his played out edgelord bit and saying “Chechen” and “goat fucker” every three seconds which only the most dickheaded immature racist fan will enjoy. And Khamzat’s probably gonna respond with homophobic slurs or something. And one of the worst bits of it all is you know there’s a high chance that we’ll suffer through that awful buildup and then the fight doesn’t even end up happening either because a) Khamzat flips on fight week and jumps Strickland at the hotel or something, b) Khamzat badly misses weight, or c) because Khamzat seemingly only has to see a cold weather forecast and his immune system flatlines. If Khamzat shows up, I think he rags Strickland about badly. I’m not buying into this propaganda people are pushing that he’s Khamzat’s boogeyman. But you can never fully invest in a Khamzat fight until he’s actually in the cage. Edited March 13 by wandshogun09 Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted March 13 Author Paid Members Posted March 13 I think someone has gotten in Dana's ear about how bad the fight announcements have been in recent months. This is much better. Quote
Kfogg1991 Posted March 13 Posted March 13 Honestly don't give a fuck about anything else I'm getting khamzat Vs Strickland..... The security that will be imperative that week is going to cost more than the whitehouse card 🤣🤣 khamzat did what he did to Whitaker when he was nice......what is he going to do to Strickland Quote
Bruce85 Posted March 13 Posted March 13 Zero interest in Khamzat v Strickland, I fucking hate watching Strickland fight and feel this could just be another 25 minutes of takedowns and no action. It’s not like Strickland is really aggressive and is going to put it on Khamzat. I think Khamzat wins in more one sided fight than we saw with DDP. Hopefully im wrong and Khamzat pops Strickland head off in a couple of minutes. Seen on social media people are saying they are hyped for the build up?! It’s just going to be homophobia and racism. Quote
Dai Posted March 13 Posted March 13 Not hyped about the buildup, but I can easily avoid that. Khamzat fights always have that "big time" feel, which is rare these days, so have to say I am looking forward to this one. As has been said, I wont get my hopes up too much until the day of the fight. Quote
jimufctna24 Posted March 13 Posted March 13 From what I have read, Strickland's defensive grappling is decent. That said, Khamzat's takedowns, while requiring a lot of energy, to attempt are freakishly good and near impossible to defend when he's fresh. So if Strickland is to have a chance, he needs to be able to create scrambles or kick Khamzat off while on bottom, which would make Khamzat attempt more energy-sapping takedowns and drain his stamina. DDP wasn't really able to do this, but the likes of Gilbert Burns were to some degree. As for White, I've read several people claim that he's merely a figurehead for the UFC nowadays and thus isn't involved so much in matchmaking and other duties. If true, it makes the entire league feel even more soulless. It would be bad enough if the dude in charge of the operation had simply lost interest in making the promotion fan-friendly (which White probably has anyway), but him having no real power and directed by bigwigs makes it feel even more soulless for me. Quote
Dai Posted March 13 Posted March 13 Dont think the Dana thing comes as that much of a shock, does it? Seems like for years hes just been the front man who just does the media side of things. Endeavor is worth tens of billions I think, and companies like that arent going to let one person have a huge say on their asset. Same deal with WWE. Its probably a large group of people pouring over huge amounts of reports about which fights would be the most profitable. Then they probably send these fight suggestions to be signed off by the real people who are in charge there. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted March 16 Author Paid Members Posted March 16 MVP are bringing it! I've got full blown Affliction-nostalgia coming on. Quote
Dai Posted March 16 Posted March 16 Ohhh love the sound of this one too. Let's get Nick Diaz back in the mix too. Just like the Affliction shows, theyre going to piss money down the drain on this one. Hopefully it's an amount small enough that they get to run at least one other show this year. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted March 16 Author Paid Members Posted March 16 Yeah, im hoping this isn't a one off, the game needs a shake up. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted March 16 Paid Members Posted March 16 11 minutes ago, Dai said: Ohhh love the sound of this one too. Let's get Nick Diaz back in the mix too. Nah Nick should be nowhere near a cage or ring again. I’m pretty sure he will fight again but it’s definitely not something I wanna see in 2026 and beyond. Remember how bad he looked in his last comeback in the UFC? That was five years ago. And he’s been in rehab to get clean and all sorts since then. Nate’s a different story. Clearly past his best but it’s nowhere near where Nick is. Nate vs Perry is a fun one. I saw all sorts of talk about Nate vs Conor 3 maybe happening when, or if, the rapist ever returns. If Nate was thinking about that, clearly he’s moved on and rightly so. Absolutely pointless waiting around for that mess to get his shit together. Definitely has a bit of an Affliction vibe to it this card. Wonder who else is gonna end up on there. The show’s only about eight weeks away. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Anderson Silva thrown on there yet. Quote
jimufctna24 Posted March 16 Posted March 16 I don't really get Affliction vibes from this show so far, at least in terms of how the fight card is shaping up. It seems this card is going to be sold mostly on the names of nostalgia attractions. Ngannou is obviously the exception, as he is quite possibly still the best heavyweight on the planet, but the likes of Rousey, Tate, and Diaz are all nostalgia attractions at this stage. By comparison, the Afflication shows was mostly sold on the names of fighters who. at the time. were still top fighters in their divisions. Fedor, Barnett, Arlovski, Little Nog, Babalu, Lindland, etc. Scott Coker's Bellator in the late 2010s would perhaps be a better comparison to this show, as Bellator's shows at the time also often had nostalgia attractions at the top of their cards. However, Bellator at the time was a full-time league, which was probably spreading itself too thin. By comparison, MVP/Netflix appear to be only interested in holding mega-shows, rather than running a full-time league. So again, that comparison doesn't really work either. There might be an past organisation that I am forgetting that had a similar business plan to this, but off the top of my head, it appears to be quite unique to me. Quote
Dai Posted March 16 Posted March 16 I think the comparison is for the depth of the card for a non UFC show, and the obvious stacks of money they will lose by paying so many fighters a big chunk of change. That seemed be Afflictions business's model too. Quote
jimufctna24 Posted March 16 Posted March 16 (edited) 43 minutes ago, Dai said: I think the comparison is for the depth of the card for a non UFC show, and the obvious stacks of money they will lose by paying so many fighters a big chunk of change. That seemed be Afflictions business's model too. I can agree in that regard. Affliction paid out big money to tempt Sylvia (800k) and Arlovski (750k for his first bout and 1.5 million for his second bout) away from the UFC. And even a relative unknown to casual fans at the time in Ben Rothwell was paid 250k The overall payroll for the first show was almost 3.5 million. It would be awesome if a promotion (perhaps MVP) came along today that fully replicated what Affliction did; sign a bunch of top fighters to compete on supershows. If they could somehow make it sustainable, it would be even better. Edited March 16 by jimufctna24 Quote
Dai Posted March 17 Posted March 17 13 hours ago, wandshogun09 said: Nah Nick should be nowhere near a cage or ring again. I’m pretty sure he will fight again but it’s definitely not something I wanna see in 2026 and beyond. Remember how bad he looked in his last comeback in the UFC? That was five years ago. And he’s been in rehab to get clean and all sorts since then. Agreed, it was atrocious, but I'd still be up for a match with another washed up name from his past. Bring back a Paul Daley or Melvin Manhoef, and I'd be more than happy for that to appear here. As for others, maybe a Cain Velasquez return could be on the cards. I'm sure every free agent is begging to be on this one. 11 hours ago, jimufctna24 said: Affliction paid out big money to tempt Sylvia (800k) and Arlovski (750k for his first bout and 1.5 million for his second bout) away from the UFC. And even a relative unknown to casual fans at the time in Ben Rothwell was paid 250k The overall payroll for the first show was almost 3.5 million. That money is insane! Speaking of insane, does that figure include how much they paid Megadeth to do a few songs too? I'm sure the rumours at the time were that they were paid a Million+, just so they could have live music in front of a crowd that couldn't give two shits. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.