Paid Members Carbomb Posted February 24 Paid Members Posted February 24 I'm a little surprised at Mayweather not insisting on it being an exhibition bout. Would have thought he'd want no risk at all to his record, even against someone he's beaten before. He's always carefully picked and chosen his fights, opponents, and times. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted February 24 Author Paid Members Posted February 24 I dont think any kind of fight is beyond possibility in 2026, what a mental world we are living in. Quote
NeverYield Posted February 24 Posted February 24 Not interested in Mayweather vs Pacquiao again, at all. I did watch Mayweather on the pads the other night with Roger Mayweathers boy and he did look good tbf but still no interest. However Pac is going to fight Ruslan Provodnikov I think, and Provodnikov was an absolute warrior who gave many great fights, if he can come and earn himself a decent bit of money then I don't begrudge that. I'm still not too enamoured with it, as I don't really enjoy any exhibition fights, but I'd rather see Provodnikov get a few quid than Mayweather. I was watching Pac train the other day as well and his push ups are still rapid and clean as it gets, what an athlete. I guess at the end of the day if you still feel like you got it then who's to say you can't put yourself through camp and have a go? There's a fella in my gym who's in his 50s and his squat, bench and deadlift numbers put a lot of people far younger than him to shame, he says lots of people tell him to ease up, but he's done it since he's been young, still feels capable, listens to his body, so why would he stop. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted February 24 Paid Members Posted February 24 4 minutes ago, NeverYield said: However Pac is going to fight Ruslan Provodnikov I think, and Provodnikov was an absolute warrior who gave many great fights, if he can come and earn himself a decent bit of money then I don't begrudge that. I'm still not too enamoured with it, as I don't really enjoy any exhibition fights, but I'd rather see Provodnikov get a few quid than Mayweather. I don’t know about the Provodnikov fight but Mayweather vs Pacquiao 2 is definitely happening. Netflix have confirmed it’ll be on there. Quote
NeverYield Posted February 24 Posted February 24 https://www.boxingscene.com/articles/manny-pacquiao-ruslan-provodnikov-exhibition-pegged-for-april-18-in-las-vegas I haven't seen much talk of it since it was first announced though. Will you watch Mayweather vs Pacquiao? Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted February 24 Paid Members Posted February 24 Not gonna lie I probably will now I know it’s on Netflix. Not a chance I’d have gone out of my way or paid a bean for it though. Quote
NeverYield Posted February 24 Posted February 24 (edited) I'm likely to have a pop when its on for all my shit talk. I never watched AJ and Paul, just saw clips, but like you say on Netflix, why not? I know AJ an Paul was Netflix too, but Mayweather an Pac is a bit different. Hopefully Pac weighs him in haha! Edited February 24 by NeverYield Quote
jimufctna24 Posted February 24 Posted February 24 (edited) 19 hours ago, Carbomb said: I'm a little surprised at Mayweather not insisting on it being an exhibition bout. Would have thought he'd want no risk at all to his record, even against someone he's beaten before. He's always carefully picked and chosen his fights, opponents, and times. Mayweather is apparently short on money. I will assume a professional bout will be more attractive to broadcasters and fans. Regarding Mayweather being careful with who boxed in his prime. It's true that he ducked Winky Wright; agreed terms with Wright's camp that were favoruable towards him, then instructed Arum to change them further, then walked away after Wright's side understandably refused. He also ducked Maragrito; apparently TV executives were even briefed not to mention Maragarito's name in meetings about Mayweather's next opponent. However, it should also be remembered that Pacquiao, or perhaps rather Pacquiao's team, could also be quite careful with who they matched Manny up with too. They steered him away from Yuri Foreman in early 2010. Also, if you read into the late-2009 and early-2010 talks between Mayweather and Pacquiao's camps, it's obvious that neither camp really wanted the fight at that time, which sadly for us, was the time to make the fight. Both sides could have called the other's bluff in regards to the blood testing stipulation insisted on by Mayweather (a stipulation I believe Mayweather proposed in an attempt to duck the fight and save face), yet neither side did. Instead, both sides were content to milk their cash cow for longer, which sadly led to both aging before they met in 2015. Was it clever business wise? Probably, but it left us with one f the biggest and most frustrating "what ifs" in boxing history. Personally, I think Mayweather would have won in 2010, but we will never know for sure. Edited February 24 by jimufctna24 Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted February 24 Paid Members Posted February 24 (edited) It's one of the most frustrating things about modern boxing: it's become really fan un-friendly in terms of fights getting made. Look at the HW scene of the past fifteen years or so. Sort of a "Four Kings" era: Joshua, Fury, Wilder, Usyk. It is absolutely mind-boggling to me that, in their respective primes, Joshua has never fought Fury nor Wilder, and a match-up now would be a sort of compensation prize, long after the anticipation for them has died. And AJ has fought Jake Paul and Francis Ngannou - more focus on freakshow shit-boxing than legit match-ups. Usyk hasn't fought Wilder, and now it doesn't seem anyone would care if he did but he's fought Joshua twice, Fury twice, and Dubois twice. Fury has fought Ngannou, and he's fought Chisora three times. I dunno - maybe I'm expecting too much, but it just seems to me that, if these guys had been on top in the 80s, they'd have all faced each other a couple of times each by now. Edited February 24 by Carbomb Ed de Goey Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted February 24 Paid Members Posted February 24 They’re trying to fast-track that Hokit prick. Big step up here… Come on Blaydes, don’t let us down. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted February 24 Paid Members Posted February 24 Netflix becoming the Freak Show company is funny. Them showing their age an focussing on shit from the 2010s is even funnier. Which do you think they do first? Brock vs. Fedor and Randy Couture vs. Fedor? Quote
jimufctna24 Posted February 24 Posted February 24 (edited) 4 hours ago, Carbomb said: It's one of the most frustrating things about modern boxing: it's become really fan un-friendly in terms of fights getting made. Look at the HW scene of the past fifteen years or so. Sort of a "Four Kings" era: Joshua, Fury, Wilder, Usyk. It is absolutely mind-boggling to me that, in their respective primes, Joshua has never fought Fury nor Wilder, and a match-up now would be a sort of compensation prize, long after the anticipation for them has died. And AJ has fought Jake Paul and Francis Ngannou - more focus on freakshow shit-boxing than legit match-ups. Usyk hasn't fought Wilder, and now it doesn't seem anyone would care if he did but he's fought Joshua twice, Fury twice, and Dubois twice. Fury has fought Ngannou, and he's fought Chisora three times. I dunno - maybe I'm expecting too much, but it just seems to me that, if these guys had been on top in the 80s, they'd have all faced each other a couple of times each by now. Probably so. Mayweather's career would have taken a far different path had he featured in previous eras. He still would have become an ATG and been lauded as one of the best ever, but he would have been nowhere near as protected. Boxers competed at a greater frequency (terrible for Mayweather as he was injury-prone and his team liked to carefully chose his fights), the rules on inside/clinch fighting were not as favourable to him, and the rings were smaller which would have made it easier for opponents to pin him on the ropes. I agree that's it's very disappointing that Joshua never boxed Fury or Wilder in the late 2010s or the early stages of this decade. I have no doubt the nature of modern prizefighting is a reason that those bouts didn't occur. However, I will add that the Fury vs Joshua bout was seemingly cursed. By the time Joshua was ready to compete at world level (2017), Fury was in the middle of a hiatus from the top-end of the sport, for which would last until the first Wilder bout in late 2018. By early 2020, they held all the relevant heavyweight belts between them. and it seemed the right time for the bout to occur......... but then came the pandemic. By early 2021, with pandemic restrictions easing, it appeared that the fight was finally going to occur happen.......... that was until Wilder activated a contract clause necessitating a pointless third bout with Fury in late 2021. While Fury was busy with that, Joshua lost his share of the heavyweight belts to Usyk, and with that loss the fight lost much of its appeal. And so on. For what it's worth, I think Fury would have beaten Joshua soundly had he taken the bout seriously, whereas I see Joshua vs Wilder as a coin flip. Edited February 24 by jimufctna24 Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted February 24 Paid Members Posted February 24 20 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said: Probably so. Mayweather's career would have taken a far different path had he featured in previous eras. He still would have become an ATG and been lauded as one of the best ever, but he would have been nowhere near as protected. Boxers competed at a greater frequency (terrible for Mayweather as he was injury-prone and his team liked to carefully chose his fights), the rules on inside/clinch fighting were not as favourable to him, and the rings were smaller which would have made it easier for opponents to pin him on the ropes. That's one of the reasons I never like to compare fighters from different eras in terms of ability, as the differences in rules, conditions, sports science, and training methodologies means we'll never really know how to measure the comparison. Not to mention the level of competition. It's impossible to say how Mayweather would've fared in the 80s against Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran, because we don't know how he would have developed in gyms of that era, and vice versa. 20 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said: I agree that's it's very disappointing that Joshua never boxed Fury or Wilder in the late 2010s or the early stages of this decade. I have no doubt the nature of modern prizefighting is a reason that those bouts didn't occur. However, I will add that the Fury vs Joshua bout was seemingly cursed. By the time Joshua was ready to compete at world level (2017), Fury was in the middle of a hiatus from the top-end of the sport, for which would last until the first Wilder bout in late 2018. By early 2020, they held all the relevant heavyweight belts between them. and it seemed the right time for the bout to occur......... but then came the pandemic. By early 2021, with pandemic restrictions easing, it appeared that the fight was finally going to occur happen.......... that was until Wilder activated a contract clause necessitating a pointless third bout with Fury in late 2021. While Fury was busy with that, Joshua lost his share of the heavyweight belts to Usyk, and with that loss the fight lost much of its appeal. And so on. Ah, now I didn't know that. Sounds like a nightmare. 20 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said: For what it's worth, I think Fury would have beaten Joshua soundly had he taken the bout seriously, whereas I see Joshua vs Wilder as a coin flip. I'll take your word for it. But, given their abilities as two of the best technical heavyweights on the planet, I really would've liked to see that fight, however it turned out. Quote
NeverYield Posted February 25 Posted February 25 The fact Fury and Joshua never fought when they should still annoys me today if I give it too much thought. Had they fought when it should have went ahead though I give Fury the win. Today though, who knows. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.